Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Andy, do you have any first-hand experience with football in the South? If so, where? If not, please...
I used to work for Rivals.com (at HQs, not as an affiliate). I am familiar with many of the top programs in Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana. I have watched game film and recruiting videos from hundreds of venues in the south. I have personally been to venues in Texas and Georgia.

I know Washington is in the top 3rd of football states, despite large swathes of territory up here where football isn't a big deal. Oregon isn't as strong. It probably ranks in the lower part of the middle third. The areas in Oregon where high school football is the most popular are not the major population centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,205 times
Cool, Andy, sounds like that could have been fun.

Makes me more surprised at your assertion that there are places that are equivalent. I am very familiar with Roseburg and Ashland, and very, very familiar with Tri-Cities football culture. All first-hand. It just isn't the same. Not in scale, scope, or intensity.

Reckon we'll agree to disagree.

And I hate it, because I bleed crimson and gray...

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times
Never said equivalent, just strong. For one thing the largest schools up here in the NW are only around 2500 students, and being over 2000 is rare. Other states have significantly larger enrollments. For example Union High School in Tulsa has 3,000 more students than Bellevue High School. More students = more fans and families at games, and the need for larger venues.

Roseburg had an amazing football culture back in the 90's. Ashland, Marshfield, Grants Pass, and some of the Medford area were the stronger football areas of Oregon. Some people are shocked to find out that Troy Polamalu grew up in the woods of Oregon. I am not sure how strong it is these days. Washington's timber country football fortunes sure have taken a hit.

In the Tri-Cities area Prosser, Richland, Kamaikin, and Pasco* have had great programs with great support.

* - Pasco has since split in half with the opening of a new high school which acquired Pasco's 3 time state champion football coach and most if not all of the better neighborhoods.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,731 times
Hate to say it, but I'm a Capital alum and so was my son. Currently a great football program and the parents get very excited, but the support is still nothing like what I experienced in the South (I'm a transplant). Entire towns shut down on Friday night for game night. Eat, drink and breathe football is an understatement. That is probably the reason that the PNW doesn't get the same respect as other HS programs. Not because they are a lessor program, but rather because it's the PNW. Just my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington