Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM

85 posts, read 179,781 times

Advertisements

The larger issue here -- which looms like a cloud over this whole hypothetical -- is that red and blue are no longer work together on most issues.

There is a split vision of America, and the gap is only widening by the day. And I am no exception to the rule. I don't willingly associate with liberals, don't have any desire to speak with them; work alongside them. We are so diametrically opposed, and the middle ground between us has shrunk to such sad and negligible proportions, that I no longer see the point. In my experiences, I'm more likely to be called a bigot, a hate monger, or close-minded by the other side than a fellow American. When I field arguments, I am called stupid, racist, homophobic, backwards, or any number of a hundred other labels, all in a sad effort to 'slam the door' on me as fast and dramatically as possible, lest my opinions be heard. Both sides hate each other. You might not personally hate the other side, but, by in large, the bulk of your allies do.

So when it comes down to state splitting, while I innevitably write it off as 'never going to happen,' I think it is symptomatic of a greater governmental dysfunction. When neither side wants to share; wants to reach across the aisle; wants to compromise on anything, what is the point in staying in the same state? Or the same country, for that matter? I mean, good Christ, just look at California. Pointless water restrictions instituted by L.A., San Francisco and Sacramento are crippling that state's agribusiness. And for what? To protect this useless thing Moderator cut: delta smelt ? Thousands are losing their generations-old livelihoods to save a useless fish? C'MON!

We are paddling into dark and stormy waters as a nation. 49 percent -- on either side of the divide -- can only stand utterly unrepresented; can only tolerate hopeless gridlock for so long. If we cannot work together, then let us part was either amicably or in violence. But the status quo is untenable.

Last edited by Count David; 11-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: New members are not allowed to post links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
...I don't willingly associate with liberals, don't have any desire to speak with them; work alongside them...I'm more likely to be called a bigot, a hate monger, or close-minded by the other side than a fellow American. When I field arguments, I am called stupid, racist, homophobic, backwards, or any number of a hundred other labels..the status quo is untenable
You're correct.

The status quo is untenable.

How soon it can change depends on how fast your ilk can change from being bigoted, hate mongers, closed minded, stupid, racist, homophobic, and backward and become Americans who can actually associate, speak with, and work along side other Fellow Americans.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
You're correct.

The status quo is untenable.

How soon it can change depends on how fast your ilk can change from being bigoted, hate mongers, closed minded, stupid, racist, homophobic, and backward and become Americans who can actually associate, speak with, and work along side other Fellow Americans.
I think we're past that. The way we're going to 'resolve' this is ultimately the same as the last time go 'round. Name call all you like, but 'your side' is more likely to kill itself when handling a firearm than someone on the opposing force. A modern 'civil war' would be over in hours. You sling insults because it's all you've got. When the innevitable social break comes, the majority of 'your side' will be running into Canada rather than face us. I'd sooner die than accept your nancified vision of America.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
....the majority of 'your side' will be running into Canada rather than face us.
Who is this "us" you speak of?

Widespread insurrection will never happen again in this nation.

Unless you plan to revolt from within the walls of those FEMA re-education camps "your side" will be going to.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
I think we're past that. The way we're going to 'resolve' this is ultimately the same as the last time go 'round. Name call all you like, but 'your side' is more likely to kill itself when handling a firearm than someone on the opposing force. A modern 'civil war' would be over in hours. You sling insults because it's all you've got. When the innevitable social break comes, the majority of 'your side' will be running into Canada rather than face us. I'd sooner die than accept your nancified vision of America.

What is "nancified" ?

I can guess that "nancified" refers to those of us who support things like gay marriage, reasonable restrictions on firearms, equal rights for all citizens...white, black, Hispanic, Asian...Native American...citizens of all colors, gay, transgendered, bisexual, heterosexual, etc.

Am I correct?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times
Quote:
I'd sooner die than accept your nancified vision of America.
This aspect of human nature is why Al Qaeda has such a supply of idiots for the suicide missions. I seriously expect a Christian terrorism group to appear some time soon, based on these silly notions and driven by the frenzy generated by conservative media.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
This aspect of human nature is why Al Qaeda has such a supply of idiots for the suicide missions. I seriously expect a Christian terrorism group to appear some time soon, based on these silly notions and driven by the frenzy generated by conservative media.
That's okay. I expect a full-fledged effort to deify or permanently elect Obama to develop about 2 years from now. Will he have accomplished anything? Nope. Will the economy be in the midst of a double dip recession? Yessir. Will he still be waving around that Nobel Peace Prize like he actually deserved it? Oh, absolutely. But, rest assured, liberals will still be kowtowing at the feat of their Kenyan ur-god.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
That's okay. I expect a full-fledged effort to deify or permanently elect Obama to develop about 2 years from now. Will he have accomplished anything? Nope. Will the economy be in the midst of a double dip recession? Yessir. Will he still be waving around that Nobel Peace Prize like he actually deserved it? Oh, absolutely. But, rest assured, liberals will still be kowtowing at the feat of their Kenyan ur-god.
Are you sure...? You can't be serious...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Are you sure...? You can't be serious...
He can't be helped. But he almost makes me think he's a previous poster with a new name.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times
Quote:
That's okay. I expect a full-fledged effort to deify or permanently elect Obama to develop about 2 years from now.
That's one step further into absurdity that I wasn't expecting! I get the feeling that you are actually hoping for such a thing to happen so that you feel justified in shooting at people you disagree with, but it will never happen and I hope you learn to accept things won't get as bad as you have been led to believe. Even with a Republican controlled congress, senate and presidency, I'm sure you'll still be yelling about liberals ruining the country anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington