Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The 2010 election says you are wrong. When are the Democrats going to dump their proven failed agenda so they can broaden their appeal?
Those were mid-term elections, which have a notoriously low turn-out. What the 2008 election, when the Democrats overwhelmingly won all 3 elected branches of government? My point is, you can't just look at individual election years because swing voters are fickle: When things are going well, they tend to vote for the incumbent Party; when they aren't incumbents tend to get voted out.

When you look at the job-market, the election shouldn't be this close. Historically when unemployment is around 7-8% or higher the incumbent seldom wins. That Obama has a better than 50% chance of being reelected is indicative of how demographics are changing. Ever since Nixon, the Republican strategy has been to count on winning about 70% of the white vote. This was usually a winning formula because the country was overwhelmingly white. Now that older white voters are gradually dying off, and former minorities are growing as a population percentage this strategy isn't working that well.

If you and your party want to push the Tea Party - more power to you. You'll wind up in the historical dust-bin just like the Whigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Those were mid-term elections, which have a notoriously low turn-out. What the 2008 election, when the Democrats overwhelmingly won all 3 elected branches of government?
Obama was a blank slate, people saw the truth, and now the GOP will control all three elected branches. On top of that, the GOP will likely have their largest number of state governors in a generation.

Keep rationalizing that failed agenda...

Quote:
When you look at the job-market, the election shouldn't be this close. Historically when unemployment is around 7-8% or higher the incumbent seldom wins.
The adjusted unemployment rate is 10.7%. Obama is toast.

Quote:
That Obama has a better than 50% chance of being reelected is indicative of how demographics are changing.
He is toast. Romney up by 6 now. Keep rationalizing it, buddy.

You think cronyism, corporate welfare, and dumb economic policy is a winning agenda, I disagree. The Tea Party agenda is of sustainable and effective govt. plus and end to cronyism, corruption, corporatism, and all the other bad isms. It is a winning agenda. The Democrats who refuse to change their failed agenda are headed the way of the whigs.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Even the people I agree or support I find their commercials insufferable. Glad it will be over soon.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Even the people I agree or support I find their commercials insufferable. Glad it will be over soon.
The attack ads are way over the top. " My opponent doesn't like to state this, but he's an ax murdererer, and will give pardons to all the murderers in the state if he's elected." " My opponent is a child molester and a crack dealer. If you think child molestation and smoking crack are good things, vote for my opponent."

Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He is toast. Romney up by 6 now. Keep rationalizing it, buddy.
We won't know until after Nov. 6. If Romney loses I shall enjoy watching dine on an enormous crow.

Oct. 26: State Poll Averages Usually Call Election Right - NYTimes.com

nuff said (maybe) ...

Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Lt. Gov?

We just moved here. Has Brad Owen been a good Lt. Governor? Is it true that he wields "a fair and bipartisan hand," as the Seattle Times says? Or is it true that he takes and takes from lobbyists, as the radio ad says?

What about Finkbeiner? How has he done as Senate Majority Leader?

If possible, comment without using the word "Tea."

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Lt. Gov?

We just moved here. Has Brad Owen been a good Lt. Governor? Is it true that he wields "a fair and bipartisan hand," as the Seattle Times says? Or is it true that he takes and takes from lobbyists, as the radio ad says?

What about Finkbeiner? How has he done as Senate Majority Leader?

If possible, comment without using the word "Tea."
It's a weird race, the Lt. Governor race. Owen is a conservative Democrat, and when he was in the state legislature often voted with the Republicans. The Lt. Governor post is largely ceremonial, and not a springboard to higher office. Every Lt. Governor has a pet project they push. One of the previous Lt. Governors took on environmenta destruction as his pet, another was pushing for increasing literacy, another was into reducing poverty among children. Owen's thing has been the anti drug thing.
Finkbeiner is a moderate Republican who is supported by the League for Conservation voters and other environmental groups. His wife is a Democrat.
Given that the post is largely ceremonial, whoever gets elected Lt. Governor doesn't really matter much.
I consider myself an independent and usually vote for more Democrats than Republicans. I voted for Finkbeiner.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Absolutely! Off the top of my head I'd say there are at least as many Libertarians in Seattle as there are Republicans. Even among Democrats and Republicans in this state, there's something of a Libertarian slant. Which is why Gay marriage and legalized marijuana have a pretty good shot at passing.
Sweet. I knew there was some hard-to-place vibe I was getting there that made me want to be there. Now I know what it is...

Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locationanomaly View Post
Sweet. I knew there was some hard-to-place vibe I was getting there that made me want to be there. Now I know what it is...
Yeah, I probably agree with about 70-80% of Libertarian ideals. I in favor of legalize any and all adult consensual behavior that doesn't directly affect others: same-sex marriage, decriminalizing drugs, prostitution, abortion, euthanasia/assisted suicide - all that should be legal.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
☑Obama/Biden
☑Inslee
☑Marriage Equality
☑Legalize marijuana
☑People with a "D" next to their name

I'm hopeful Washington State does a great Health Care Exchange. I don't want it to be a state's issue because if we have it and others don't, they might run here when they get sick (we should impose a residency eligibility period of X years). I fear McKenna and Rs would try to stop progress in Washington State. I and most others are fortunate to have it but it could be better and more accessible to everyone.

Last edited by Seacove; 11-02-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington