U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM

157 posts, read 1,226,193 times

Advertisements

We are in the preliminary stages of deciding where to relocate to.

North Carolina, Charlotte in particular, seems to be a magnet for relocation right now. We are equally drawn to Washington and researching both states now.

Employment is not an issue. We are looking for a temperate climate and want to live in a watefront house, lakes and rivers are fine although we live on a saltwater bay in Florida now. A serene setting is preferred. I am aware of the general winter gloom/rain issues in Washington and I think North Carolina has summer heat and humidity issues which probably balances out the two places for us.

Can anyone here take a stab at the pros and cons of the two areas?

Thank you.

Last edited by itsme2; 09-29-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 05:26 PM

454 posts, read 784,830 times
cons on Washington for waterfront is cost. any major populated places will get you homes that are in excess of $1 million plus. Rivers have lots available but tend to be very rural, so if you like rustic...

You also must be aware of the enviromental issues with waterfront here. Some homeowner who live near water (standing or flowing) have had their property rights restricted, and heaven help you if there are any bald eagles in the area!

Other then that, this is a wonderful place to live. If you like better weather and want to come to washington, I would recommend looking at Lake Chelan or Moses Lake. Both are in the eastern side of the state where the weather is cold but clear in the winter and warm and dry in the summer.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 PM
DBM

96 posts, read 461,167 times
If you're looking for saltwater and are willing to live near a smaller town, you can find options significantly less than $1 million. Olympia area will run about 700-800K for mid-range, Bellingham probably the same, Shelton and Hood Canal less. The closer to Seattle you get, the more expensive it will be.

The "property rights" bugaboo is probably the least of your worries. Politically charged, but unless you are actively developing, not the biggest issue. If you are on waterfront, though, you would be advised to buy someplace that already has a bulkhead or doesn't need one -- that's probably the single biggest headache I've heard of.

I would disagree with the Dufferz about climate. Western Washington is temperate -- wet, but temperate, with mild winters and summer temps generally in the 70's. Eastern Washington is not temperate -- it's cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. Eastern Washington does get less rain, but it ain't temperate.

I've been both places, but only lived in Washington. Both are beautiful, but the heat would be too much for me in Charlotte. Maybe look to what activities you like to do. Washington would have it for skiing, hiking, sailing, and, if near Seattle, cultural stuff. NC would have it for lake fishing, warm summer evenings, and for the basketball fanaticism. I would also consider politics: rural NC is "redstate" and Western Washington is "bluestate."

Just some thoughts.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,786,000 times
I grew up in NC, have lived in WA now for over 10 years and am trying to decide on relocating. I'll take a stab at some pro's and con's

WA

Pro: Very temperate wx, though it has changed over the last 4 years, hotter dryer summers. Good employment (over all), no income tax, high education/union enviroment.

Con: Very democratic (blue state), and very meddling. The do gooders and tree huggers have really screwed up property rights, especially ANY property that has ANY water on it. King county (Seattle is by far the most trouble some for meddlers). With setbacks and other restrictions, it's hard to do what you want with your own land. High cost of property and homes.

NC

Pro: Western NC is mountains, more temperate WX, (East NC much more hot and humid), booming state (many people from FL, NJ, MA, NY moving there), Charlotte has good employment. Slower pace of life. Lower cost of property and homes.

Cons: Settlers (people that are born and bred there, settle for whatever life gives them, not very driven) and the biggie.....TAXES! NC has a 5 tax system, 1. Income tax, 2. Property tax, 3. Sales tax, 4. Personal property tax (tax on your stuff, furniture, computer, lawn mower, etc) 5. Vehicle tax (annual tax on what the state says that your vehicle is worth)

Overall, depends on what you want, slower pace of life and cheaper property, but with higher taxes and and banjo music, then NC.

Costlier property, cheaper taxes, WA

My views are biased, but hopefully I've helped somewhat.

Tony

Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 PM

454 posts, read 784,830 times
DBM is right that the weather in western washington is more temperate, but based on the comment about the gloomy weather in Washington and the fact that itsme2 lives in Florida was the driving reason to expand the horizons and look at washington as a whole.

One should never narrow the search until all options are looked at. Most people outside Washington think we are rain 24/7 boarder to boarder.

You are correct also that the houses heading toward the coast outside the influence of the Seattle area will be less expensive. I think that if the search was expanded to the Ocean Shores area the price would be even lower. the trade-off is the weather along the Coast. It ain't no Florida out there!

Old 10-01-2006, 09:17 AM

536 posts, read 2,971,086 times
for many the actual pacific coastline (Ocean Shores, etc) is not an option due to the weather. It rarely ever gets above 70 degrees and for about 80% of the year rarely gets above 65.

The cool thing about it though is that if you're looking for beaches that rarely get crowded (peace and quiet and able to drive on the beach with your vehicle), it's a great place to be.

Dufferz makes a good point about recent property rights issues. If you live along the water, the state might just show up and tell you that you need a new septic or well dug (at your cost). Not worth worrying about IMO but everyone should do their research before relocating near the water. It's really become an issue in hood canal due to the water quality issues (state parks closed and fishkill just last week).

Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I grew up in NC, have lived in WA now for over 10 years and am trying to decide on relocating. I'll take a stab at some pro's and con's

WA

Pro: Very temperate wx, though it has changed over the last 4 years, hotter dryer summers. Good employment (over all), no income tax, high education/union enviroment.

Con: Very democratic (blue state), and very meddling. The do gooders and tree huggers have really screwed up property rights, especially ANY property that has ANY water on it. King county (Seattle is by far the most trouble some for meddlers). With setbacks and other restrictions, it's hard to do what you want with your own land. High cost of property and homes.

NC

Pro: Western NC is mountains, more temperate WX, (East NC much more hot and humid), booming state (many people from FL, NJ, MA, NY moving there), Charlotte has good employment. Slower pace of life. Lower cost of property and homes.

Cons: Settlers (people that are born and bred there, settle for whatever life gives them, not very driven) and the biggie.....TAXES! NC has a 5 tax system, 1. Income tax, 2. Property tax, 3. Sales tax, 4. Personal property tax (tax on your stuff, furniture, computer, lawn mower, etc) 5. Vehicle tax (annual tax on what the state says that your vehicle is worth)

Overall, depends on what you want, slower pace of life and cheaper property, but with higher taxes and and banjo music, then NC.

Costlier property, cheaper taxes, WA

My views are biased, but hopefully I've helped somewhat.

Tony
Man oh man, I just reread my post, jeez I was cranky.

Both places are nice

WA: I agree with the previous posts, if you are coming from FL, I don't know how well you'll like the 8 months of cloudy WX that we get (rain's not the big issue, just too little sun). I also forgot to mention the traffic in the Seattle area. That's the main reason that I'm contemplating leaving the state, the traffic is horrible, not worth the 4 hours a day that I commute to work.

NC: Depending where you are (Charlotte, Raleigh, etc) it's a modern and vibrant area. I just grew up in WNC and knew some real backwards rednecks, it's much better now. Asheville is now hippie central, I don't even recognize the place anymore, health food stores, soy milk, the whole nine yards....

Good luck deciding, both places are great! I myself like WA more, I just can't stand my commute any longer.

Take care, God bless

Tony

Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 AM

6,262 posts, read 18,247,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Man oh man, I just reread my post, jeez I was cranky.

Both places are nice

WA: I agree with the previous posts, if you are coming from FL, I don't know how well you'll like the 8 months of cloudy WX that we get (rain's not the big issue, just too little sun). I also forgot to mention the traffic in the Seattle area. That's the main reason that I'm contemplating leaving the state, the traffic is horrible, not worth the 4 hours a day that I commute to work.

NC: Depending where you are (Charlotte, Raleigh, etc) it's a modern and vibrant area. I just grew up in WNC and knew some real backwards rednecks, it's much better now. Asheville is now hippie central, I don't even recognize the place anymore, health food stores, soy milk, the whole nine yards....

Good luck deciding, both places are great! I myself like WA more, I just can't stand my commute any longer.

Take care, God bless

Tony
Here lies my delimma; I love N.C. after visiting there numerous times.Asheville in particular. Am moving from Alabama( a state I detest) soon and though I would adore moving to N.C. there just aren't jobs in my field and rental houses are hard to come by.
After years of hearing from friends who have lived in or visited Seattle about what a great place it is I looked into employment options and housing and find them plentiful.
However I require a view of the mountains or water or I am not going to move there. I figure why bother if my view is what I have now. The traffic here is horrendous too. I suspect it is in most large cities nowadays.
BTW, good luck with the job hunt Tony. I'll be looking too soon. I'm staying at my current job for a few more months to get my vacation time then I'm outta there. Keep an eye out for any rental homes in Port Orchard or Gig Harbor ,if you will and let me know if you see anything with a view
I need 3+ BR and 2+ baths that would allow my babies-1 adorable Maltipoo(no shedding) and a 3 year old cat(spolied rotten)

OH and as for me-I dislike constant sunshine( I know I'm a freak!!LOL) so I look forward to overcast skies. Sun gives me migraines.

Last edited by √Član vital; 10-01-2006 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 10-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
Here lies my delimma; I love N.C. after visiting there numerous times.Asheville in particular. Am moving from Alabama( a state I detest) soon and though I would adore moving to N.C. there just aren't jobs in my field and rental houses are hard to come by.
After years of hearing from friends who have lived in or visited Seattle about what a great place it is I looked into employment options and housing and find them plentiful.
However I require a view of the mountains or water or I am not going to move there. I figure why bother if my view is what I have now. The traffic here is horrendous too. I suspect it is in most large cities nowadays.
BTW, good luck with the job hunt Tony. I'll be looking too soon. I'm staying at my current job for a few more months to get my vacation time then I'm outta there. Keep an eye out for any rental homes in Port Orchard or Gig Harbor ,if you will and let me know if you see anything with a view
I need 3+ BR and 2+ baths that would allow my babies-1 adorable Maltipoo(no shedding) and a 3 year old cat(spolied rotten)

OH and as for me-I dislike constant sunshine( I know I'm a freak!!LOL) so I look forward to overcast skies. Sun gives me migraines.
I'm in the process of selling my rentals in Port Orchard, but the market is dead and I may rent them back out. Unfortunately none have views.

However, go look on cragslist.org under the housing section, there are several avail with views. One was waterfront for $1500 per month, I think that's an awesome deal on a rental. Good luck.

Tony

Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM

26 posts, read 72,060 times
Views are all over in WW. Mountain (Rainier), Water (Puget Sound), Mountains (Cascades and Olympics), and water (various lakes and rivers). You can get a place without a view pretty easily but you cannot go 1 mile without one.

Unless it is one of the plentiful cloudy days. Then good luck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington