Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 PM

38 posts, read 74,098 times

Advertisements

It's up there but I think Hawaii beats us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmathkm View Post
It's up there but I think Hawaii beats us all.
IT'S EITHER SOUTH DAKOTA OR NORTH DAKOTA THAT IS THE ONLY STATE IN THE UNION WHERE THE POPULATION IS GOING DOWN.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Does the property taxes effect the whole state or is the eastern side towards Spokane not as affected? Looking up in Colville. Seems that people are more complaining if there property is up in the $400,000.00 and up range.

I can't seem to fine how they figure property taxes, does someone have a website that shows this information. Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
You can check the assessors page on your county of choice website, or call them for a levy rate at a specific address. - (Usually $10 > $15 per Thousand of "fair market" valuation) can be $7- or $18+, so shop around
You take the "fair market" purchase price and multiply it by the current levy rate for that specific parcel location to get a good estimate of Tax Due. (BEWARE- actual purchase price may be too low or too high to be considered "Fair Market").

Each county has jurisdiction on setting their portion of the rates and on how aggressively they will appraise values. But all of WA calculates property tax valuation on fair market value, so... if you are in an area with low values, a thrifty county government, and discerning voters, you should be as cheap as it gets in WA. Sorry, I don't know where that would be and things are changing fast with the loss of federal timber dollars that WERE fueling many counties.

Find an unpopular spot (low property values) and go from there. The county assessor will have the levy rates for each district and can direct you to the least taxed portion of the county (which probably has the least services and improvements). Then you could end up paying a premium for insurance or privately provided services. Some counties have benefits from installed services that provide resources for other places (Dams) and they get low power rates and fiber optics. (that would be nice, my 'pay by the byte', super slow modem is killing me, but no other service available here)

Do be very careful when reviewing existing tax rates on a particular parcel, as WA folks pay in the 'rears' (can be 18 month lag in valuation), and some parcels may have elderly or forestry exemptions. Be aware that if you get a bargain price the assessor will not use your purchase price, but instead will raise it to 'fair market' and claim you didn't pay a competitive price. (Using any one of 100 excuses... distress sale, relative, knew the realtor...) You will not win in a valuation fight on a personal residence with the board of equalization. Commercial properties can be successfully contested, but BoE holds all the cards in a residential fight. If you get a favorable adjustment, (it will just be a few dollars in tax savings) they will hammer you next year and raise your values. BTDT... too many times...

Currently it is land values that are killing us in WA rural areas. Folks are just paying too much for bare land, and the dirt alone under our home is valued at $300k, so if I lived in a teepee I would still pay $4200/yr in taxes. Add a structure, well, road, power, septic and up the value goes...

A chunk of ag land with a travel trailer as a home would be a cheap alternative, since they don't tax it as real property if it is on wheels. Buy a cheap place with a nice sized barn or loafing shed (older...that is important) and pull in a semi trailer that is outfitted as a home. If there is 'real property' living space on the property you will get hit for 'improved acreage'. (Such as having an apartment in a pole barn... BTDT too)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-01-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
You can check the assessors page on your county of choice website, or call them for a levy rate at a specific address. - (Usually $10 > $15 per Thousand of "fair market" valuation) can be $7- or $18+, so shop around
You take the "fair market" purchase price and multiply it by the current levy rate for that specific parcel location to get a good estimate of Tax Due. (BEWARE- actual purchase price may be too low or too high to be considered "Fair Market").

Each county has jurisdiction on setting their portion of the rates and on how aggressively they will appraise values. But all of WA calculates property tax valuation on fair market value, so... if you are in an area with low values, a thrifty county government, and discerning voters, you should be as cheap as it gets in WA. Sorry, I don't know where that would be and things are changing fast with the loss of federal timber dollars that WERE fueling many counties.

Find an unpopular spot (low property values) and go from there. The county assessor will have the levy rates for each district and can direct you to the least taxed portion of the county (which probably has the least services and improvements). Then you could end up paying a premium for insurance or privately provided services. Some counties have benefits from installed services that provide resources for other places (Dams) and they get low power rates and fiber optics. (that would be nice, my 'pay by the byte', super slow modem is killing me, but no other service available here)

Do be very careful when reviewing existing tax rates on a particular parcel, as WA folks pay in the 'rears' (can be 18 month lag in valuation), and some parcels may have elderly or forestry exemptions. Be aware that if you get a bargain price the assessor will not use your purchase price, but instead will raise it to 'fair market' and claim you didn't pay a competitive price. (Using any one of 100 excuses... distress sale, relative, knew the realtor...) You will not win in a valuation fight on a personal residence with the board of equalization. Commercial properties can be successfully contested, but BoE holds all the cards in a residential fight. If you get a favorable adjustment, (it will just be a few dollars in tax savings) they will hammer you next year and raise your values. BTDT... too many times...

Currently it is land values that are killing us in WA rural areas. Folks are just paying too much for bare land, and the dirt alone under our home is valued at $300k, so if I lived in a teepee I would still pay $4200/yr in taxes. Add a structure, well, road, power, septic and up the value goes...

A chunk of ag land with a travel trailer as a home would be a cheap alternative, since they don't tax it as real property if it is on wheels. Buy a cheap place with a nice sized barn or loafing shed (older...that is important) and pull in a semi trailer that is outfitted as a home. If there is 'real property' living space on the property you will get hit for 'improved acreage'. (Such as having an apartment in a pole barn... BTDT too)
Is Custer in Whatcom Co. an "unpopular spot?" Is this an area that lacks in services / how is the crime rate there? I notice that Custer is an area where there is more acreage than homes and more rural.

I guess that's why you guys don't pay state income tax and they get you this way through property taxes.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks janb, that was some information and a lot to consider. It just amazes me out of the whole United States seems like when I find a spot there's water issues, property taxes, the weather too hot, the weather to cold, the people not friendly, people don't like new comers etc, etc. This is sad , who would think, it would be so hard to move around our beautiful country

Beginning to think that were I'm is not so bad!! Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
T who would think, it would be so hard to move around our beautiful country

Beginning to think that were I'm is not so bad!! Thanks again.
my 'short list' is getting pretty short! too,
Where in ID are you? (that was one of my choices)

Basically the idea I'm currently pursuing is to get away from a personal residence, (If I keep my domicile in WA). Buy a commercial place with a small place for me in the corner (such as a campground, resort, storage units, or retail with attached apartment). I will triple-net rent the commercial side and live in the corner and not bother anyone.

option 2).
Find an outdoor camp that needs my equipment and tools and will allow me to stay in a staff cabin during 'off-season'. (most of the year)

3) find a lower cost area and buy a farm with more than one house, and rent out the acreage and main house and live in the migrant shack.

4) Find a lower cost destination (state). Wyoming has pretty reasonable taxes, but is currently in a 'boom'. When it goes bust, things get pretty cheap in energy towns in WY. (BTDT)
a) SO Dakota has some cheap places and taxes & a minimal requirement for domicile.
b) Forestbeekeeper seems to be content in ME and has very low taxes (Kind of far to move... and I like cool nights)

5) ... so many options - a serious one I'm considering is 'co-housing' in a rural spot. September 2008 Magazine | The Cohousing Association of the United States

the last option... (Like you say) stay where I'm at and HOPE property values continue to out strip property tax burden. (unlikely, as at current escalation rates my WA taxes will be way too extreme before I get to senior exemption age) Honestly it is just TOO Expensive to do that when you spend 10 times your food budget on property taxes. At some point you will starve (probably sooner than later).

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
my 'short list' is getting pretty short! Too,
where in id are you? (that was one of my choices)

basically the idea i'm currently pursuing is to get away from a personal residence, (if i keep my domicile in wa). Buy a commercial place with a small place for me in the corner (such as a campground, resort, storage units, or retail with attached apartment). I will triple-net rent the commercial side and live in the corner and not bother anyone.

Option 2).
Find an outdoor camp that needs my equipment and tools and will allow me to stay in a staff cabin during 'off-season'. (most of the year)

3) find a lower cost area and buy a farm with more than one house, and rent out the acreage and main house and live in the migrant shack.

4) find a lower cost destination (state). Wyoming has pretty reasonable taxes, but is currently in a 'boom'. When it goes bust, things get pretty cheap in energy towns in wy. (btdt)
a) so dakota has some cheap places and taxes & a minimal requirement for domicile.
B) forestbeekeeper seems to be content in me and has very low taxes (kind of far to move... And i like cool nights)

5) ... So many options - a serious one i'm considering is 'co-housing' in a rural spot. september 2008 magazine | the cohousing association of the united states

the last option... (like you say) stay where i'm at and hope property values continue to out strip property tax burden. (unlikely, as at current escalation rates my wa taxes will be way too extreme before i get to senior exemption age) honestly it is just too expensive to do that when you spend 10 times your food budget on property taxes. At some point you will starve (probably sooner than later).
if interested i know someone who is selling their large home in grangeville idaho as they are both a retired couple and the house is too big with too much land to maintain 5 acres.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
my 'short list' is getting pretty short! too,
Where in ID are you? (that was one of my choices)

Actually, I'm in one of the coldest places in Idaho little resort town called McCall. It's getting expensive to live here and work is seasonal if your in construction. Which, is what most of our work involves.
I was seeing in Kooskia, Idaho there's a little store and fishing supplies for sale, if that interest you. It nice up that way. We have been looking up in that area due to warmer weather.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 428,287 times
Is Custer in Whatcom Co. an "unpopular spot?" Is this an area that lacks in services / how is the crime rate there? I notice that Custer is an area where there is more acreage than homes and more rural.

Actually, Custer is one of my favorite spots in Washington. It is very rural and has some issues with flooding. There isn't really much there. I had heard that it was one of the areas that the meth heads prefer because it is so far out there, but I don't know if that's true.

Beautiful in the spring and summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington