Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,591 times

Advertisements

Arkanas? That's hillbilly country. Don't they also get lots of tornadoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 AM

291 posts, read 948,588 times
I need help. I found this link about taxes.
The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner Occupied Housing by State, 2006
I am looking to move to the PNW and I am trying to find out what I am getting myself into. I am in Indiana. Is this data correct? Or better yet, am I understanding it correctly? IN does not appear to be that far off from WA or OR. I ask because there seems to be people here who know more about this than I. I hope things are fairly comparable. My wife and I really want to move out west by next June. Any help would be appreciated.

wc@h

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
I am looking to move to the PNW and I am trying to find out what I am getting myself into. I am in Indiana. Is this data correct? Or better yet, am I understanding it correctly? IN does not appear to be that far off from WA or OR. I ask because there seems to be people here who know more about this than I. I hope things are fairly comparable. My wife and I really want to move out west by next June. Any help would be appreciated.

wc@h
That data (like many reports) is not really accurate because it does not include full local tax burden. The only sure way to understand taxes is to identify a property in each location and fully research taxes on that property. Look as well at the breaks given to seniors which will vary greatly across the country.

Of course you want to also consider income and sales taxes in any relocation evaluation.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:

wc@h
Maybe you should come to California. Everyone else is and are property tax is no where near as bad as Washington's.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Maybe you should come to California. Everyone else is and are property tax is no where near as bad as Washington's.
As inviting as that is, I must decline. My wife's parents live in McMinnville, OR. We need to be somewhat close to them. My wife is from the Bay area though and has many fond memories. I know we will be visiting California to see relatives and so I can see where she grew up.

Besides, I thought people were moving North to get away from the crowds and traffic. Not that Seattle or the I-5 corridor fits that description .

wc@h

Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
That data (like many reports) is not really accurate because it does not include full local tax burden. The only sure way to understand taxes is to identify a property in each location and fully research taxes on that property. Look as well at the breaks given to seniors which will vary greatly across the country.

Of course you want to also consider income and sales taxes in any relocation evaluation.
Thank you for the insight. Is there an easier way to do that? I am not sure where to start. I am trying to narrow down an area to look at. Are there any areas that stand out in Western WA or even Western OR in the way of being more affordable yet desirable to live? I guess I could just start picking propertys at random. I want to pick one that is represenative of the area though. Any thoughts?

wc@h

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
But the housing costs are higher and there is the highest income tax in the country.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the insight. Is there an easier way to do that? I am not sure where to start. I am trying to narrow down an area to look at. Are there any areas that stand out in Western WA or even Western OR in the way of being more affordable yet desirable to live? I guess I could just start picking propertys at random. I want to pick one that is represenative of the area though. Any thoughts?

wc@h
I chose a property in a city/county that would be of the type I would buy and then used the online property tax system to find the tax burden. You can start with MLS listings at realtor sites (or even contact a realtor) but there are other places to start including zillo or similar sites. This site offers a pretty good section showing areas stats and demographics.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
But the housing costs are higher and there is the highest income tax in the country.
If you were here in CA for any period of time more than likley lived here the income tax comes with living here. The prices are going up just like everywhere else.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I chose a property in a city/county that would be of the type I would buy and then used the online property tax system to find the tax burden. You can start with MLS listings at realtor sites (or even contact a realtor) but there are other places to start including zillo or similar sites. This site offers a pretty good section showing areas stats and demographics.
Outstanding! Thank you very much. I will start there.
wc@h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington