Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

108 posts, read 198,873 times

Advertisements

I have decided that now that the new marijuana law has passed to go ahead and not stay in Jamaica when I go down there next month but rather return to the US after six months and make my new home in Bellingham, a region I have done a bit of research on but have never been to. The reasons for my move aren't just the freedom to smoke, they are also because Bellingham does have a good college and I am considering going back to school someday to finish my degree, and it does look like a beautiful place.

Here is where I need help. I have noticed that at a lot of the apartments or houses for rent, it is stated as policy that there is no smoking allowed. I am a smoker, not just ganja, but a cigarette smoker, and need to find a place that is in a decent neighborhood, near the college and walking distance to a grocery store, with a pool and hot tub, and for under $1000 a month for a studio or one bedroom...is that even possible? And if so, I would love to hear any and all recommendations. I should be in Bellingham by next July or August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
In my apartment complex you're not allowed to smoke inside the buildings, but you can smoke outside in certain areas. Not sure if that will work for you, but there are lots of smokers around here so I'm guessing a lot of them must do something apartment-wise. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a one bedroom or studio for under $1000, the trick will be to find one which allows smoking and is close to a grocery store.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM

No, for me, if I'm paying rent, I want to do as I like within reason, so that just wouldn't do. I will keep looking around, thanks.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM

68 posts, read 148,404 times
Now I'm not one to really tell anyone how they should live.... but I have to point out that you could be looking in the $1250 per month range if you quit smoking, figuring a pack a day at $9 a pack. Just sayin.

Though if I come across something I'll post it up.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Appreciate it, thanks. Oh and it would be $1000 tops, am really looking for something closer to the $700-$800 range, and if I can't find a good apartment right away, what are decent motels in Bellingham with kitchenettes reasonably close to the college?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM

There are a few hotels on Samish that are sort of on the opposite side of Sehome Hill from the university, but I don't know what they're like. Will you have a car when you get here? You can get by without one if you choose your location carefully. Also, were you planning on visiting before moving here? I really wouldn't recommend moving without visiting first.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Well, my visit will be my first time there, but if worst comes to worst, I can always just pick up and move again, but after all the research I have done, Bellingham really sounds like just the spot for me, since there are like minded people that live there, and it is a liberal college town. I won't have a car when I get there, I had planned on getting a bicycle when I get there and seeing how using that and public transportation works out for me first before getting a car if I need to.

If there are any motels with full kitchenettes near a park, walking distance to grocery and the college, that would be ideal for a starting off point for me, and since utilities would be included, could swing up to $1200 for the first month I'm there without too much difficulty, and that might be best to do that way I could check out neighborhoods in person when I get there and find out what area to rent in would be best for me. I did check out Maple Park apartments online, and they are four miles from the college on a bike path, and allow smoking, so that is up for consideration.

What about thrift and consignment stores, how are they in that neighborhood? Would their be a goodwill or salvation army to get secondhand furniture from?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 PM

I believe there's a bus route that runs by Maple Park Apartments that goes right through the university. There's also a good grocery store (the Sehome Haggen) within biking distance, although you'd be dealing with a lot of traffic. You could walk to the store from there, but biking would be a lot quicker. Actually, if you were to head north on Lincoln St you could just go to Fred Meyer. That would probably be a lot easier. I'm not really sure about thrift stores in that area since I hardly ever get over that way. There are a few downtown but I think they mostly sell clothing. There is one place downtown called "Jakemart" and I think they have some used furniture. I know there's also a Salvation Army store off of Northwest Ave.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times
There's a Goodwill on Sunset Drive and another thrift store on Meridian. Forgot the name of it.

There's a Grocery Outlet close to downtown. It may not have every grocery item you look for but the prices are much lower than Haggen or Fred Meyer. Totally worth it. There's also an amazing Food Co-op downtown.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the info, it will definitely come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington