Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,182 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but there are lots of trails in Gig Harbor. There's the McCormick Forest Park by the fire station which has many walking trails, horse trails, and bike trails.

Theres the Sehmel Homestead park with trails.

There's more. Just look around.

I live and grew up here. I've lived all over the US - Eastern Washington, Arizona, Mississippi, Montana, etc. - and Gig Harbor is the best place I've ever lived.

It's a shame they are building so many new stores here. It's ruining the vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM

60 posts, read 288,952 times
Wow - just came back from our trip up there, and must say I loved GH. I think the biggest missconception I had, and perhaps more people, was how much GH spreads out around the actual harbor. We found that most of the schools are on the west side of the 16 fwy and the lots and homes are quite different over there. We also drove up the the park north of GH (forgot the name) which was quite different than the actual harbor area. I must say I really LOVED GH!! Thanks all!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Enjoy it while you can. With the rate of construction, it will be an overpopulated, big box store, wasteland, just like any other US suburb.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:13 AM

4 posts, read 14,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacobandito View Post
As for hiking trails.. I dont know of any actual trails in Gig harbor, I know some people like to walk or ride the road to Narrows park, it has a wonderful view of the Narrows bridge. Most of your hiking is gonna be found further north, towards Silverdale, Poulsbo area, or south east there are quite a few great ones near Mt. Rainer, just be careful in the winter.
Hope that helps a bit -J
hehe, a few great trails. what a riot.
Speaking as someone who actually worked as an entrance ranger for two summers at Mt Rainer, I can say there are many...Many...MANY superb hiking trails IN and around Mt. Rainier. There is also Olympic National Park, which is north on the Peninsula. There is also Gifford Pinchot National Forest, and over by St. Helens where amongst other trails, you can actually hike in the Ape Caves (tunnels created by lava flow). Yes, you will have to drive, and it is worth the drive

Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM

20 posts, read 89,942 times
How much more can be built in Gig Harbor? Is the South side pretty much done with growth? Are all the new neighborhoods going up on the North side? I have been told that the population is around 7,200 is that correct? How much do you think the population will grow over the next 5 to 10 years?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 AM

97 posts, read 427,413 times
Gig Harbor's City Council has put a moritorum on expanding growth in the city back a couple years ago. So no more expansion of utilities like sewer, underground electrical, ect. The city will not be growing into a big box nightmare.

With that said I have always viewed Gig Harbor as a snooty, retiree oriented bedroom community. The school district is probably above average in the state. It has quick access to the Olympics for hiking, great spot for kayaking, probably farther than you'd want for skiing and a crapshoot for a hospital oriented profession although a 30 min commute from South Gig Harbor can get you to any Tacoma Hospital and just maybe Good Sam in Puyallup.

I'd say a city like Sammamish or Issaquah is up your alley as they are 30 min commutes from Seattle and 30 min commutes to the vast cascades. There is lake Sammamish for kayaking and other outdoor activities. The area though is unfortunately growing very fast. Gig Harbor would be nice if you could get a job in the area and if you don't mind paying a fare to cross the Narrows bridge.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 PM

158 posts, read 405,288 times
Default Moving to Gig Harbor ....

in January. I hope it's not too snooty for me coming from a hard-working, mid-western background. LOL

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM

158 posts, read 405,288 times
Default Gig Harbor growth ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariners1 View Post
How much more can be built in Gig Harbor? Is the South side pretty much done with growth? Are all the new neighborhoods going up on the North side? I have been told that the population is around 7,200 is that correct? How much do you think the population will grow over the next 5 to 10 years?
Gig Harbor development seems to be very well coordinated to allow expansion of the tax base to the north while maintaining the character of the quaint little harbor town. Here is a link I came across that explains a lot: http://courses.washington.edu/larch5...gHarbor_WA.pdf

When we were out there we met the former mayor who was largely responsible for planned development instead of the haphazard, community destroying, maximum profit for the developers, otherwise unregulated development that infects most of the West. If it wasn't for the planned development that preserves the character of this unique little place we wouldn't be at all interested.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:10 AM

20 posts, read 89,942 times
That is nice to hear. We are so happy about moving out of Nor Cal and Gig Harbor seems to have everything we are looking for. I did not get the feeling it was "snooty" at all. The people we came into contact with were warm and friendly. It has that small town feel and the fact that there are people in charge that seem to get the big picture for growth is great.

Elk Grove used to be nice. The crime and the population of this city is out of control. They just keep building and building. I only hope we get out before they decied what they are going to build down the road. You can bet it won't be a park.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariners1 View Post
That is nice to hear. We are so happy about moving out of Nor Cal and Gig Harbor seems to have everything we are looking for. I did not get the feeling it was "snooty" at all. The people we came into contact with were warm and friendly. It has that small town feel and the fact that there are people in charge that seem to get the big picture for growth is great.

Elk Grove used to be nice. The crime and the population of this city is out of control. They just keep building and building. I only hope we get out before they decied what they are going to build down the road. You can bet it won't be a park.
"snootiness" is all relative. Many people think most Cali. areas are snooty, so maybe GH is less snooty in our eyes in comparison???? I have spent much time in GH and think it is upscale (not snooty) and that is one of the nice things about it. I know there are retirees, but the people I know there are all couples with young children who were looking, for safe, great schools, nice housing with decent lot sizes, not insane traffic (like you see on the Eastside--near Seattle.). So......I guess it all depends on your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington