Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times

Advertisements

In reply to the previous post, I live in Port Townsend, which I love, but I think it's really too far from Seattle to be a good fit for the OP. Poulsbo or Bainbridge Island might work, though. In fact, at some point in the next several years I'm thinking of relocating to one or the other, or Olympia, just so going to Seattle occasionally isn't such a time-consuming ordeal. However, for now I enjoy living in the drier rainshadow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink From the islands

Somewhere near Puget Sound will provide what you seek.

Seattle can answer for the city, with a number of small towns various distances from it. By and large driving into Seattle will place you in a lot of traffic and more than a 30 minute commute; most anything requiring less time will be suburbia of the large metro area. But if opting for public transportation via a ferry then options open up.

Two would be Bainbridge or Vashon islands. Bainbridge is more settled, that being a relative thing. Vashon is more rural and eclectic. Either enjoys good ferry access into Seattle, although for commuting using walk-on service would be preferable in ease and also cost. More locally, Bainbridge would offer more options in services, particularly with its practical access to shopping in Silverdale. Either of these places may seem more like an island than small town, but possibly part of the charm.

In such locations one will infrequently experience short-lived snow, but of course a lot of rain throughout winter. And no shortage of large and beautiful trees.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
In reply to the previous post, I live in Port Townsend, which I love, but I think it's really too far from Seattle to be a good fit for the OP. Poulsbo or Bainbridge Island might work, though. In fact, at some point in the next several years I'm thinking of relocating to one or the other, or Olympia, just so going to Seattle occasionally isn't such a time-consuming ordeal. However, for now I enjoy living in the drier rainshadow.
Yeah, I know. The OP didn't mention Seattle specifically so I was just listing "quaint towns" and who knows, maybe he/she might think Port Townsend is a small town that is close to the "big" city of Port Angeles?"

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
I would look into Snoqualmie or North Bend. Both within easy reach of Seattle.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,019 times
I have done research because I'm doing the same thing. I found a quaint charming town called camas...it is in southwest washington and u get small town living and your neighbors are two big cities within minutes away...vancouver washington and portland oregon..how cool is that having everything out ur front door...

Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM

Default looking for small town living next to big cities...it does exsist!!!

Hi there! Your answer to your question is that moving to a small town next to a big city does in fact exsist. I'm doing the same thing...in southwest washington I found a small quaint charming town that is picture perfect. I have done a lot of research. It has awarding schools and very safe. This gets even better! Right out your door step just minutes away u have two big cities. Vancouver washington and portland oregon...by moving to charming small town camas u get the best of both worlds..hope this helps....

Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM

Few things I forgot to add...lots of outdoor things to do...lots of parks and trees...and just not to mention close to both washington and oregon ocean beaches...plenty of lakes in area too!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
I agree that Camas should definitely go on that list. Definitely fulfills what the OP is looking for except for one thing: The drive from Camas to Portland would take about 30 minutes.... add traffic in that, you're adding in a lot more time-- Traffic does suck. The economy isn't as strong in that area as well, so that should be a factor in the decision-making. However, Camas should definitely be considered, regardless. I'd move there if my in-laws didn't live so close by, LOL.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Maple Valley; Covington: Four Corners. Entire area there is old Boeing retirement area. Plenty of lakes, forests, and rapidly growing infrastructure.
Not sure what "city" you have in mind and how large. Seattle metro is 28 miles away; Federal Way a8 on very low traffic HWY 18.
It's as rural as it gets.
You will not find anything closer to Seattle Metro, as Bellevue has little green left, Issaquah, that is truly green, is very limited on availability, and developments started moving south of Issaquah, which is what I mentioned.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I really don't think of Covington as quaint. All of the big box stores and chains are there, from Wal-Mart to Car's Jr. Downtown Camas might qualify as quaint, has to be if they actually have annual bathtub races. Keep in mind also, though, that the city gives out free sandbags to residents for protecting their homes from floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington