Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
I think Twin Peaks was filmed in North Bend which is a nice area. Forks on the otherhand....
Yes, though the town has developed substantially in the last 20 years. Many of the locations from the show are gone. I was just up there a few weeks ago cutting my xmas tree.

I had my wedding out near Forks. I didn't bother to actually go in to the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 16,393 times
I love cold dark dreary and wet. I am a twihard but that isn't the reason I'm moving there. I've done my research just thought I'd ask to see what locals think about their small town. I find it hard to believe that so many people are so negative about a place i deem to be beautiful. Trails, lakes, trees, and a freakin rain forest, goodness it sounds like heaven to me. Hoodies jeans and hiking boots have always been a favorite of mine. My husband, myself and my son are definitely going. We hate the sun and the heat. My husband is an auto glass installer and i am a medical assistant. Forks community hospital is always hiring, and If that doesn't pan out we can work doing anything. Lots of house keeping jobs there too. And for the record i was born and raised in san Antonio and i would never bash it. I just want to get out of here already. There is nothing here for me and being away in such a secluded area is what we need. If u are not a local of forks wa please don't comment negatively if you've only visited and had a bad experience from a visit

Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleespinozabee View Post
I am a twihard but that isn't the reason I'm moving there.
I'm inclined to disagree. Have you been to Forks? Most of the responders have. We've seen people go there with an idea quite different than what it is. If you cannot be dissuaded, I hope it turns out well for you. I hope your 13 year old son is able to get the education he deserves. Most people stop just long enough to gas up on their way to the next stop. It's a very small town with not much in it. Sincerely, best of luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
We've had many people over the years from sunny climates that went on and on about how they love rain, how they love cloudy and dreary only to find out upon moving here that they can't hack it. They didn't realize they actually do love the sun, even in smaller doses. I'm sure you're thinking well, that's not me. But unless you're from an equally cloudy/wet environment, how do you know? There are other areas and towns that are cold, dark, dreary and wet in Western Wa that can equally suit your wants.

With that said, you asked a very specific question and it was about jobs. Which was answered and you don't seem to appreciate it. Fine. You obviously do not understand that life on the peninsula is already hard, its a very economically depressed area--- the beautiful environment with the trees, mountains and water is nice, but it won't feed you. There are other areas and towns that can equally suit your needs. I actually think Port Angeles would be a better choice for you since you have a kid and the town's economic situation is a little more healthier than Forks.

I don't think any of the previous posters have had a "bad" visit... they were actually there and saw it for that it was. I know many people who been there as well (me included) and they all thought the area was beautiful, but the town very lacking. Don't take it personal. You've been warned.

Quote:
I love cold dark dreary and wet. I am a twihard but that isn't the reason I'm moving there. I've done my research just thought I'd ask to see what locals think about their small town. I find it hard to believe that so many people are so negative about a place i deem to be beautiful. Trails, lakes, trees, and a freakin rain forest, goodness it sounds like heaven to me. Hoodies jeans and hiking boots have always been a favorite of mine. My husband, myself and my son are definitely going. We hate the sun and the heat. My husband is an auto glass installer and i am a medical assistant. Forks community hospital is always hiring, and If that doesn't pan out we can work doing anything. Lots of house keeping jobs there too. And for the record i was born and raised in san Antonio and i would never bash it. I just want to get out of here already. There is nothing here for me and being away in such a secluded area is what we need. If u are not a local of forks wa please don't comment negatively if you've only visited and had a bad experience from a visit

Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Exactly. I think people respond to the Forks threads as a public service. We've all been over there because the Hoh Rain Forest is over there, Lake Quinnault, Lake Crescent and the coastal towns. It a beautiful area for a weekend visit. Forks is actually the least attractive part IMO.

Imagine our dismay when a movie comes out that motivates people to pack up everything they own and drag their children 2000 miles to live in a town we sort of felt bad for. They haven't seen it but they've built an image in their heads and the movie wasn't even filmed there. Just as a lot of Seattle movies are filmed in Vancouver. Then to be in such denial that they say, yes I'm a "Twihard" (?!) but that's not the reason? Then how in the world of all the locations to choose, would you choose Forks? It's not coincidence. The town is too small for it to be, the population is something like 3K. I'm not sure where you are anticipating all these housekeeping jobs based on that. Or why you would move 2000 miles so you can aspire to a housekeeping job.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
I'm sorry if we made you cry (as you noted in the other thread). It doesn't sound as if anybody is going to change your mind in moving there so I'm not sure why you posted in the first place. It's a fact that the job situation there is bleak. However, you are determined to find jobs so it is what it is. And I don't think anybody who has posted would call the area anything but beautiful. It is gorgeous; nobody is disputing that. But so are other parts of western Washington that may be a lot easier to find jobs.

Heck, I own property near Yelm (in the county where the state capital is located) where looking out the window it appears as though I could be in Forks. The same trees, it's mossy, damp, wet, and gray and seems as if I'm in the middle of a national forest somewhere ...and it could even be in the Olympic National Forest. I could send you photos and you wouldn't be able to tell if it was in Thurston county or Forks. Where I am also seems isolated but just a few minutes away from major employment, shopping, services, and medical facilities. If in Forks, you'd have to drive miles and miles for major services. Medical, educational, and even things like being close to big box stores are still a distance to drive ...and driving those distances will get expensive, too.

There probably aren't a lot of regular participants on this forum that have actually lived in Forks being it such a small place. The person you were responding to in the other thread hasn't posted since 2009.

You obviously have your mind made up but I was just trying to maybe suggest alternatives to Forks where it would be just as beautiful, more convenient, and better for jobs. Most of us are not trying to be "negative" or trying to say that Forks is an ugly and miserable place to live. But yes, pertaining to jobs, the responses will be NEGATIVE. Why would we say, "there's all kinds of jobs there in Forks" when there isn't?

Good luck, I think you really are going to need it.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
OP, you seem to be confusing "people honestly trying to help" with "people being mean to you"!!!
People are simply telling you that Forks is not all that you think it is - would you rather hear lies???
You can't have it both ways: wanting honest opinions, but also wanting those opinions to be positive.
I don't know about you, but if I were asking your questions, and got the responses you've been getting, I would at the very least want to check the place out for myself before packing up and leaving...
You'll note, by the way, that many folks have made alternate suggestions - they aren't simply telling you that Forks isn't the paradise you seem to think it is!
Whatever you decide, 1) best of luck, and 2) let us know how things turn out!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that so many people are so negative about a place i deem to be beautiful. Trails, lakes, trees, and a freakin rain forest, goodness it sounds like heaven to me.
Yes, it's beautiful. Everyone agrees on that, but that alone doesn't make it a desirable place to live. I think what you're missing is there are a TON of other beautiful places in Washington. Forks is one of them, but it has a lot of negatives that have lead to the low and declining population. It's not like everyone that visited there didn't like the place, they just correctly realized that it wasn't a good place to earn a living and raise a family.

If you were retired, independently wealthy or at least single with no kids my advice would be different. You'd also have the freedom to just move up there for a year with no commitment. What everyone is telling you is it's a bad place to move, never having visited, expecting to live off of jobs that don't exist.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Forks, huh?

Most of those excited about moving to Forks soon experience a rapidly diminishing enthusiasm once learning some of the realities from one of the many threads here concerned with it. Read them all, try it in person, and you'll find most all said was true. But it should fascinating, so please do report back on how all panned out.

BTW, the Olympic Peninsula is gorgeous. Forks, not so much. For scenery, one would be better off locating outside of town. Like in, oh, maybe Port Angeles.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,393 times
Im not worried about people being" mean" to me on the subject. I'm not a child i simply want a view from a person who lives there and thrives there. I am also confused as to why anyone would say there are no jobs, when in fact there are. As i said before the hospital will definitely hire a well qualified medical assistant such as myself. I tend to turn a positive out of what others may find negative or just not for them. Anyhoo, just needed some insight. I fly there 3/6/13. I'll let everyone know just what happens. To everyone who's responses were truly trying to be helpful, thanks alot, and for everyone else... well, i guess thanks too. Whatever makes you smile go do it and so will i be blessed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington