Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,720 times

Advertisements

I would GREATLY apprecaiate any words of wisdom here. For the past year, we have been feeling a strong pull to relocate our family to the Spokane area. We currently are living in Southern Indiana, just a short distance (about 45 minutes) from the Louisville Metro area. We have lived in Southern Indiana our ENTIRE lives and really want a change of pace. We are very relaxed people that mind our own business. We are Christians, but not the bible beating "You're dying and going to hell" rock-em-sock-em type. We stand by our beliefs, but do not force them on anyone. I have heard that the people of Washington are not very receptive of transplants. Is this true and if so how can we make that transition without everyone judging before they know us? We also enjoy the outdoors. That is really one of my biggest attractions to the area because it seems as if nature is right at your doorstep and the oppertunities to do something outside are endless. My kids have NEVER been skiing because we never get enough snow here, and the nearest artificial slopes are what seems to be a billion miles away. I know I am getting into a different climate there. But I would gladly trade my tornado alley homestead for a place that experiences a longer winter than here. We normally have severe weather season here from late February to mid June. Two nights ago the temperature was 70 and a EF0 tornado touched down just two miles from my house. Now as I type this it is snowing and 29 degrees!

I am not limited to the city of Spokane. I have looked up places like Nine Mile Falls, Chewelah, Deer Park, Colbert, Post Falls, and Couer d' Alene.

I have been following the news from the area and see that the theft and robberies are much higher. I have no intention of living in downtown (just as I have no intention of living in downtown Louisville) but I like the feel of having a bigger city just next door for all the other reasons (better medical facilities and such).

We are looking to make this move within the next four years. I would love any information you can toss my way! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM

101 posts, read 221,721 times
Based on your comments, I think that Spokane is right up your alley (not tornado alley). There is a ton of outdoor recreation surrounding the area. Our winters definitely have snow, and it is a full winter season usjually lasting from late November until March. We do have some years that are milder than others, but you can count on temps at or below freezing for a few months and some snow sticking around for most of that time. I really like north Spokane, like Colbert and wandermere. Schools are fantastic and the area is very nicely put together. The crime is also a fraction of what you'll find from downtown to north central. The housing and rent prices are not that much more either and well worth it. We have Mt. Spokane state park for skiing and recreation which is about 30 minutes from Colbert area. There's tons of lakes and different parks all within that same distance. I think you would fit in great. As far as welcoming "outsiders", I think you'll find that the community here is very friendly and accepting. No one really cares where you came from. I haven't come across any descrimination of people moving from other areas of the country. We'd be happy to have you. I'd encourage visiting sometime and checking out the different areas for yourself. There's the south hill, Spokane Valley, Liberty lake, and Colbert areas that all offer a different feel. I'm sure you'll fall in love with one of these. I hope you find what you're looking for and let us know if you have some more questions.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM

173 posts, read 224,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLee76 View Post
I have heard that the people of Washington are not very receptive of transplants. Is this true and if so how can we make that transition without everyone judging before they know us?
As best I could find, a whopping 46% of Washingtonians were NOT born in the state. So I wouldn't take too much to heart your above comment. Of course, there are those who move here, know they have a good thing going, and half-jokingly (I do believe) say they would like to limit growth, close the door so to speak now that they have entered. I was born outside the state, though here now for over half my life. I welcome all who want to come and make this great state even better! With your good attitude, you should make a successful transition. And, being the Evergreen State chauvanist that I am, I hope you choose a Washington, not an Idaho, location .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington