Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into homes, and it seems that for what i want in sq footage and costs, the puyallap/south hill/graham/orting area is affordable. how is the crime and whats the cons around there?

I can afford a smaller home around kent/federal way but then again i want more sq footage to enjoy. and for traffic, im ok with it since my commute hours are not in rush hour times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Its a bland suburbia, but if that's something you're not putting a stock into that... then its a fine place to live. The schools are good. Lots of people around. Crime is more towards Spanaway, Parkland. The State Fair is there. There's also a higher rate of crime because of the shopping center area. You have all the shopping you'd need (except for high-end, but then... that's not what most are looking for). Its very affordable for many people. And that's really where the major con comes in: Have you driven down on Meridian Ave? Especially around holidays? There's lots of choke points with some badly timed lights in the area and the area keeps growing out.

My friend lives in Orting and works in DT Seattle and that's a long commute for her. Didn't you say you work in Everett? You're not really getting more for your money if you're having to put it in gas.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

My friend lives in Orting and works in DT Seattle and that's a long commute for her. Didn't you say you work in Everett? You're not really getting more for your money if you're having to put it in gas.

I work in auburn now.. company moved my site.

so far i like your description of puyallap, i mean i can get a 3000 sf house that and live good. i have never really been down there, since most folks i know are in auburn or federal way at the most southest point. and yea, i was told to avoid tacoma so I just avoid the south part in general.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
It's not a good place to be if Mt Ranier blows - it's right in the way of the last lahar flow, iirc.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Just putting it out there, the "cheap areas with larger homes" haven't fared well value wise. They were the hardest hit in the housing crash and at this point have a number of headwinds keeping them from recovering - specifically, gas prices, concentrations of neglected homes with underwater owners, and some cultural trends that make closer in neighborhoods more desirable.

A number of the desirable neighborhoods have almost recovered in price after the crash, puyallup is still way down. Personally I'm skeptical that those areas will ever recover due to the availability of developable land nearby.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I work in auburn now.. company moved my site.

so far i like your description of puyallap, i mean i can get a 3000 sf house that and live good. i have never really been down there, since most folks i know are in auburn or federal way at the most southest point. and yea, i was told to avoid tacoma so I just avoid the south part in general.
I should point out it's Puyallup with a U not an A.

OP, you should visit Tacoma. It's a nice city, a bit down on its luck-- but still nice with a lot of amenities (zoo/aquarium, museums, shops, et. c). Since you're still young, I'm sure you'll like 6th Ave.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I should point out it's Puyallup with a U not an A.

OP, you should visit Tacoma. It's a nice city, a bit down on its luck-- but still nice with a lot of amenities (zoo/aquarium, museums, shops, et. c). Since you're still young, I'm sure you'll like 6th Ave.
What do you mean "down on its luck"? I've been considering Tacoma because IDK if I can afford Seattle but I keep hearing the same kind of thing about Tacoma. Something along the lines of "it's fine in some parts", "a little rough around the edges but livable", etc. Was it once nice or has it always been the lesser city in the area? From a nice standpoint. Obviously Seattle has always been the bigger city.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
What do you mean "down on its luck"? I've been considering Tacoma because IDK if I can afford Seattle but I keep hearing the same kind of thing about Tacoma. Something along the lines of "it's fine in some parts", "a little rough around the edges but livable", etc. Was it once nice or has it always been the lesser city in the area? From a nice standpoint. Obviously Seattle has always been the bigger city.
It was once nice. Look at the homes in the Stadium District. Actually, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods with view homes all around the water.

The main issue with Tacoma is it doesn't attract white collar businesses, and the traditional blue collar industries moved to China. During the transition a lot of inland neighborhoods fell into disrepair. Some neighborhoods became notorious as bad elements took over during the crack epedemic.

The military base JBLM is one of the big sustaining factors and the culture revolves around that to a degree you don't see at all in Seattle, and much less so in Everett.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It was once nice. Look at the homes in the Stadium District. Actually, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods with view homes all around the water.

The main issue with Tacoma is it doesn't attract white collar businesses, and the traditional blue collar industries moved to China. During the transition a lot of inland neighborhoods fell into disrepair. Some neighborhoods became notorious as bad elements took over during the crack epedemic.

The military base JBLM is one of the big sustaining factors and the culture revolves around that to a degree you don't see at all in Seattle, and much less so in Everett.
One of my best friends is being stationed there starting in April so me and the other best friend are moving because we need a change at this point in our lives. And since he happens to be going to a nice area (unlike Arkansas or North Dakota like the people he says he's with now are headed to), we're gonna join up in that area. I hear decent things about University Place. Is that pretty accurate?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Yes, I meant "down on its luck" as its not as economically healthy. The big business Tacoma had (Russell Investments) moved to Seattle because of the cache associated with Seattle. I do think once the overall economy starts recovering that Tacoma will also go up.

University Place is a Tacoma suburb. Its nice, yes. Titlow Beach is beautiful. Its got good schools. It has Trader Joe's. Honestly, nothing wrong with UP-- but I still wouldn't completely discount Tacoma completely since you're coming in as young guys (I'm assuming) with no kids. UP is more oriented towards family whereas there's still young funky and/or rejuvenating energy flowing around in Tacoma neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington