Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, I saw the photos. I can't even imagine. Bellevue had a lot of strawberry fields in the 50s. When I go to the Mercer Slough, I try to imagine it being unbuilt. But yes, Bellevue is definitely different from the 80s.
You should see some of the photos my family has. My great grandparents settled in Bellevue in the late 1800s. My grandma was born in the kitchen of her family's house, which stood on the land that now is occupied by office buildings, apartments and the Sheraton hotel. She and the neighbor girl used to ride her horse down to the one-room schoolhouse that was on Old Main, where the Chevron gas station is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What is this plastic, throw away culture you are talking about...?
IMHO:
Californian "plastic culture", means fake, superficial, not real, shallow...hypocritical. The following of movements or trends because it is the thing to do, and a sort of aggressive or assertive nature..

Now of course this exists in every state, and by no means do all Californians suffer from it... Maybe it is a Urban verses rural thing... Maybe a Upper middle verses lower middle class thing.... I am not sure... But I will say from the perspective of a rural, lower middle class person this "plastic culture" some Californians possess marks them very clearly as being from California...

The hiring of people to do things around the house or around the yard, is another "marker" of someone likely in the "plastic culture"..

Ultrarunner, good on the gravel... Better, that your mother fills the pot holes... Next time your are visiting, go help, break up the gravel in the pot holes before filling them... This way they do not come back...

Money is always appreciated from outsiders, but to be more than appreciated, the investment of time is what natives respect....

(Of course this is my opinion and a broad universal generalization..)

Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
I said that this person will likely be ignored, not hated on by locals, and that their friends will likely be other transplants, as us locals tend to stick to the groups we grew up with.
Define what "local" is... With in a county? Within a town? On a certain block in a town? (LOL)

Yes, what you say is true, but is it what you really want to be doing??

IMHO, once one moves to say a different county even in the same state, they are not "local" anymore... At least that is my observation..... And one is generally not missing much by not being included in the very small, inbred, closed minded, sheltered, groups of "locals" that exist virtually everywhere..

Reread your post...It sounds pretty neanderthal yes?

Modern humans have flourished, because of their ability to move around and learn from and accept those from other tribes.... Even most animal groups have mechanisms to be inclusive of outsiders...

Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
IMHO:
Californian "plastic culture", means fake, superficial, not real, shallow...hypocritical. The following of movements or trends because it is the thing to do, and a sort of aggressive or assertive nature..

Now of course this exists in every state, and by no means do all Californians suffer from it... Maybe it is a Urban verses rural thing... Maybe a Upper middle verses lower middle class thing.... I am not sure... But I will say from the perspective of a rural, lower middle class person this "plastic culture" some Californians possess marks them very clearly as being from California...

The hiring of people to do things around the house or around the yard, is another "marker" of someone likely in the "plastic culture"..

Ultrarunner, good on the gravel... Better, that your mother fills the pot holes... Next time your are visiting, go help, break up the gravel in the pot holes before filling them... This way they do not come back...

Money is always appreciated from outsiders, but to be more than appreciated, the investment of time is what natives respect....

(Of course this is my opinion and a broad universal generalization..)
It's always interesting because locals from people in the area to the market and even Lowes and Home Depot always peg Mom for the local Washingtonian... she's only been in Washington with me...

It's because she is hands on... even approaching 80 and grew up on a small family farm as the oldest girl...

She really enjoys her time there and always wants to come back... working outdoors is her passion... and just about every car that would pass her would wave and most would stop to say hello... not exactly the Seattle Freeze one reads about... although this is in Olympia...

Her biggest joy is really how friendly people in Washington are... even at the big box stores the employee's help her fill the shopping list and bring everything out to the car...

That has never happened to her in the Bay Area...

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Define what "local" is... With in a county? Within a town? On a certain block in a town? (LOL)

Yes, what you say is true, but is it what you really want to be doing??

IMHO, once one moves to say a different county even in the same state, they are not "local" anymore... At least that is my observation..... And one is generally not missing much by not being included in the very small, inbred, closed minded, sheltered, groups of "locals" that exist virtually everywhere..

Reread your post...It sounds pretty neanderthal yes?

Modern humans have flourished, because of their ability to move around and learn from and accept those from other tribes.... Even most animal groups have mechanisms to be inclusive of outsiders...
I didn't take offense to his remarks. In a general sense what he said happens everywhere. Those who are fortunate/unfortunate enough to live in the same spot all of their lives tend to have formed their circle of friends early on, and it doesn't expand that much. No malice involved, they just have as many friends as they need.

You are quite correct though. As soon as a local moves more than a short drive away, he is now in the same boat. I'm not worried about meeting people up there. I could care less if I am meeting born and raised locals or transplants. All I care about is whether or not they want to go fishing, hunting, hiking, sailing, wine tasting, check out a neat restaurant, or argue about the best way to write a mobile app.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,031,233 times
I moved to Washington in late 2000. Since then, I've been to quite a few other cities and have also lived in a suburb of Houston. Texas is...meh.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,671 times
Having dealt exclusively with the blue collared construction crowd of 1990's Washington. I can honestly declare that Californians are a hated group to the Native Washingtonians. I heard the term Cali-fornicator used some 10 years before that song hit the airwaves.
I lived in California until I was 13, then moved to Alaska, and at the age of 20, I moved to Seattle to learn a skilled construction trade.
I lived in Seattle from 1990-96 before heading back to Alaska.
Because I came to Washington from Alaska, the locals embraced me as an equal, because at the time, it seemed, we were a colony of ex Washingtonians.
Washingtonians are not unique in their dislike of the Californian.
I personally love visiting California just long enough to remember why my parents up and left the state, years ago.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:45 AM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
Rofl, such a crock rant. Wa is not Ca nor tx. Nor is Ca Texas or wa; or tx either wa or Ca. Typical Washingtonian inferiority (and superiority) complex whining.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Washington is interesting, but the liberal western half, especially King County, has too much power in Olympia, ergo, the entire state.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Washington is interesting, but the liberal western half, especially King County, has too much power in Olympia, ergo, the entire state.
You must be a WA dairy farmer or an employer to even consider this as important

if so... Join the hundreds of WA farmers and employers who have been forced to move to ID due to WA legislated rules and business costs.

Moving a household is one thing, but moving a family farm that has spent generations building the soils / orchards, barns, fences, water systems... THAT is a real hassle. It will take generations to get back to same level of productivity, likely never be profitable (but we do it for Quality of life, and to serve the deeply discounted USA grocery budget).

OT:,,, I find it very useful to keep a place in WA and one in TX. (for the 280 days of drizzle vs the 100 days of heat). Seems to be nearly a perfect combination. I fit in Asia for 'Medivacations' as needed (during drizzle). Just what you gotta do to stay afford-ably healthy, (w/o available insurance... WA ACA website down as usual )

I don't find CA folks too happy about TX, (maybe it is the guns... Neighbors in TX are ALWAYS shooting on weekends) but I do watch ex CA flee WA 'bout this time of yr... They have had ENOUGH... Try renting a southbound U-haul truck from WA during Feb - April. 2x the 'summer' price.

BTW: the stars are really nice in the winter (where you can see them (not so often in we_tern WA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington