Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM

6 posts, read 5,942 times

Advertisements

My job is transferring me to Washington to a job I start on April 1, but I have my choice of where I want to go within the following cities:

Seattle
Federal Way
Kent
Renton
Tacoma
Vancouver

All we are looking for is a safe area, preferably gay friendly as we are in a same-sex marriage. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $1100 a month that allows dogs. Schools don't matter and night life doesn't matter as long as we can drive to nightlife within say a half hour drive or so.

Where would you live?

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With that budget I'd live in Vancouver, and drive across to Portland for nightlife. Seattle is too expensive, more like $1,600 for two bedrooms. The other cities mentioned are affordable, and I wouldn't mind parts of Renton but would not want to live in Kent, Tacoma, or Federal Way. This whole region of Western WA is gay friendly.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Great, thank you for the answer. Why would you not want to live in Kent, Tacoma or Federal Way? Is it not as pretty, high crime, why do you not recommend them?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
A lot of people here don't like to rec them. But you're not a family-- so a lot of the cons is actually taken out for you.

Federal Way is a bland suburb... with a big mall area. It has hwy 99 which is the undesirable part... but otherwise, it's a nice area. The mall accounts for Federal Way's high crime rate.

Kent is actually more gay friendly than people like to give credit. There a couple gay bars there operated by gay folks who got tired of the young Capitol Hill scene. Again, big suburb, has a mall (attached to a transit hub for buses and commuter train to Seattle/Tacoma). The highlands are more desirable, down in the valley can be iffy (but not all bad).

Tacoma has an actual downtown setting. Its very slowly revitalizing, but still dogged by old rep (of crime, the smell, and all the nasties). A lot more vibrant than Kent/FW-- but not as much as Seattle. Has 6th Ave which has a night scene. Lots of funk energy there. Has zoo/aquarium, beautiful parks, good number of colleges/university around. Better to stay in north/northeast Tacoma, the other parts is still... not as delightful.

I never really found Vancouver to be that gay-friendly-- if that's the area you want, might as well head to Portland. Lots of gay friends end up moving out to Portland or Seattle.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
My $0.02 I was going to recommend Vancouver as well of the list that you gave.

I had an apartment there for under 1100, near the Hazel Dell area right off of I-5, it was 3 bedroom and we had a dog and a cat.
As for gay friendly a couple of friends and a couple of relatives in the area that are gay and I've never heard anything negative about the area from them, they seem pretty happy.
Plus like Hemlock said you're right near Portland, lots of night life options there. If you are a gambler La Center has card rooms and that's just a few miles north on I-5.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
I would tend to agree with Hemlock too. My reason for not wanting to be in Kent, Federal Way, or Tacoma is that generally, they are known for higher crime.

I'm not that familiar with exactly what areas are gay-friendly but would not quite say that "the whole region" of western Washington will be gay-friendly. As you know, rural areas tend to be more conservative and that also goes for pockets of less populated areas in western Washington. A good example would be Lewis county is surprisingly conservative which I didn't know until recently. I will say that not only the large metro areas of western Washington will be gay-friendly (including Clark County --Vancouver) but most of the larger cities will be too.

JMO which doesn't mean much.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'm not that familiar with exactly what areas are gay-friendly but would not quite say that "the whole region" of western Washington will be gay-friendly. As you know, rural areas tend to be more conservative and that also goes for pockets of less populated areas in western Washington. A good example would be Lewis county is surprisingly conservative which I didn't know until recently. I will say that not only the large metro areas of western Washington will be gay-friendly (including Clark County --Vancouver) but most of the larger cities will be too.

Its not really surprising that Lewis county is conservative. Its always been like that. Clark County is also conservative even though it went for Obama the last two elections. Clark County was also one of many counties that did not approve of R74 (Gay marriage). I'm not saying Vancouver is all Gay unfriendly... I'm just saying: Its not that gay friendly.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Its not really surprising that Lewis county is conservative. Its always been like that. Clark County is also conservative even though it went for Obama the last two elections. Clark County was also one of many counties that did not approve of R74 (Gay marriage). I'm not saying Vancouver is all Gay unfriendly... I'm just saying: Its not that gay friendly.
No, I realize that Lewis county has always been conservative; I lived in Centralia for a short time in the early 70s. I just didn't realize that it is much more conservative than I thought.

We'll just agree to somewhat disagree with Vancouver. I'm not sure of the distinction between "not all gay unfriendly" and "not that gay friendly." Although not gay, I do know the LGBT community has quite a celebration and parade in the summer. I believe it's called Saturday in the Park? I guess that's why I figure that any town that has such a large LGBT community would be or could be classified as "gay friendly."

Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM

I found many apartments in the Seattle area for under 1100 a month that were two bedrooms. Most were in Southern Seattle, Seatac areas, are these areas that are not as desirable, higher crime, or are they ok to look into?

Also what is meant by highland and valley area?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'm not sure of the distinction between "not all gay unfriendly" and "not that gay friendly."
Who would? It doesn't make sense... and its also not what I said.

What is it hard to understand? Its not as gay friendly as one would think for Western WA/Portland. And I've based my opinion on what I seen and what my friends experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington