Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times

Advertisements

The Columbia River has been radioactive for decades - it's mostly ignored - not publicized - except for federal Superfund cleanups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
However, if some terrorist was to blow up the Hanford site, we would be screwed. The Columbia river would be radioactive and bye-bye Portland...
Um.... your statement ignores so many factors that I'm not even sure where to start. Let's just state that a hypothetical North Korean Nuclear Missile is a larger over all threat even accounting for multiple layers of US Missile Defense systems positioned in Hawaii and the entire West Coast.

Yes it is possible that the river could be contaminated even worse, but that would be via ground water leaks. But to affect Portland to the point that it'd be destroyed is pushing it. I'd be more worried about possible air born contaminants that would be affecting most of Eastern Washington, North Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana, etc.

The Mt. St. Helens eruption would be a likely pattern for how radiation would spread.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,484 times
early warning and missile defense ...radars and what not. You might be able to build, but can't launch that type of hardware without your neighbors knowing about it. i would expect nothing less than defensive and offensive military response before a rocket leaves nk geographic area (if it were armed with a nuclear warhead).

Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I watched yesterday as an air passenger waited for TSA guard to be distracted by TXT'ing, and then she slipped by him. There are some TERRIBLY weak holes and many malcontents in our free country.
Frankly, if I were a terrorist, I'd detonate a bomb in the crowded security area before getting to the scanners. On a busy commuting day, if several people coordinated such attacks at a few major airports, every airport in the country would immediately evacuate and air traffic would grind to a halt, because no one would know if another airport was going to be targeted. Then what would TSA do? Move the scanners outside, where the same issue would arise?

The security lines at the airports are the most potentially dangerous part of air travel, IMO, and baggage claim areas have the same security flaw.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
We'd be first...Boeing, Central Seattle...Portland maybe...
Did you know we have over 1500 nukes in the State?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
We'd be first...Boeing, Central Seattle...Portland maybe...
Did you know we have over 1500 nukes in the State?
I feel better knowing that!, and those are only the ones we KNOW about!

I would feel even better if some of the WPPSS were online and we were selling / exporting MORE power / energy like WY and AK, and ND. WA HAD a bright future.

Energy Northwest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RE: WA being a target that NK could actually TARGET & penetrate our defenses.

I Highly Doubt it.

Trouble Will come from within or on our shores, probably from angry Chinese who want their MONEY back.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Probably more danger from the nuclear waste left over from WWII in leaking tanks in Hanford.
No plan in place when leak alarm sounded at Hanford | KING5.com Seattle YEP.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM

124 posts, read 145,178 times
I don'tthink so.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Does anybody else remember when we got the first nuclear submarine in WA? Can't remember what year that was. We were all so sure it was going to be targeted. Probably was Russia we were worried about back then. Never happened.

And there was also the No Nukes campaigns because of the Hanford site. That never blew up either.

I remember being all about protesting the above back then. Now I don't get worked up about these things anymore. Getting old :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 18,834 times
Yes, Washington is in danger of a nuclear attack but it has been for a long time. First from the Soviet Union, then from China. As far as NK is concerned, the threat is actually indirect since it is the country holds their leash is the greatest threat. If NK attacks either the ROK or Japan, the United States would be forced to act. Since China has already stated that its long term goal is to eject the United States from Asia, as well as has developed a new ICBM that can hit every major city in the United States and is designed to overwhelm our antimissile defense system, they are a bigger threat than any other country in the world and they would use the attack on North Korea as a justification for war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington