Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,888 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for the past 20 years and have been lucky the past two years but it seems like every other week in the summertime, there's a hurricane scare. My house has been damaged by two hurricanes. I've needed a new roof, new ceiling, my homeowner's insurance company has gone out of business, and dealt with crooked contractors...as did thousands of people in my situation. My point is I'm ready for a change. Two years ago, I went on a cruise to Alaska and stopped in Seattle and Leavenworth for four days and loved it. I loved the mountains and the air was crisp and fresh. It didn't rain once when I was there. I went at the end of August. Florida is flat as a board and the air is heavy. Guess the grass is always greener...One of my friends who went with me on the cruise already moved to Seattle but she's still settling in. She and her BF live on a boat. She loves it though and said she's going to die there.

I have no children so schools aren't an issue and am willing to rent before buying a house. I won't be shell shocked because the housing prices in FL are astronomical. I don't want to live too far outside of Seattle. I've heard of Redmond, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, and Kirkland. What do you all think of these cities or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-24-2007 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: hijacking ...spilt, created new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Your inquiry is extremely general, Ginger. If you take a look at the comments that have been made in other threads about those locations, you'll get a better picture of the areas. Then, if you have any specific questions that you can narrow down a bit, come back here and fire away.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerT View Post
...Two years ago, I went on a cruise to Alaska and stopped in Seattle and Leavenworth for four days and loved it. I loved the mountains and the air was crisp and fresh. It didn't rain once when I was there. I went at the end of August.
Let me start by saying I've never lived in WA, however I've been reading alot of threads in this forum, in consideration of moving to the area.

The #1 thing I got from people is... many people visit the area when it's "nice and sunny", fall in love and move. One year later they want to leave due to the rainy/gloomy season they didn't see during their short visit.

You being from Maimi and my from Hawaii, we are used to sunshine "most" of the time. IMO - this is the biggest thing you need to consider before moving. Maybe you will be fine with it, but I would suggest you find out when the rainy months are and go for a 2 week visit and see if you still like it.

Good luck, if you do move - I'd like to hear about it once you get settled in.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Yes I agree w/ the above poster. And although now, rainy cloudy might seem nifty because you are sick of your sunny, hot weather, just remember that months upon months of rainy cloudy is no better than months of hot, sunny. Either side has the potential to wear on you. Visit during a longer period of time and during some weather challenges, and drive in the traffic a bit during rush hour. Whenever I relocate, I visit the city for at least a week, drive the streets during rush hour and try to get at least a small picture of what I could be putting myself up against. I would never move anywhere solely based on a few days vacation or stopover.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 15,554 times
Hello Ginger,

I've lived in Miami Beach and Coral Springs (N of Ft. Lauderdale about 20 miles)...and have lived in Seattle, Redmond...and currently live in Issaquah. My husband graduated from high school in Hawaii...before I knew him. We've moved away from the Seattle area 3 times...we're back for good now.

From a weather perspective, I agree with the other comments. It would be a good idea to try out some time during the more dreary days. Perhaps a Jan/Feb visit to your friend on the boat? If you have the ability to "escape" with a mid-winter getaway to SoCal, Vegas, or the like, it really can improve the situation considerably. On the other hand, hot muggy and daily summer downpours made weather awful IMHO in Fl not to mention bugs and too much social class for my taste.

As Sir says, your inquiry is pretty general. It helps to know that schools are not an issue. There are many different types of communities around the Seattle area. It would help to know more about your work situation (what kind of companies/positions are of interest) and what type of community do you like (older/newer homes/condos, urban/suburbs/rural, walk/buses/drive, etc.). What about lifestyle: parks, boats, skiing, hiking, and so on.

So, for example, in my current neighborhood we have a 2300 square foot home, market value about $600K in a nice suburb development with a strong mix of home types and family structures. We are in Issaquah city limits but west of the city proper -- growing community, lots of shopping being added, good bus service. Easy commute to Seattle for financial/govt, up the lake road about 20 mins to Bellevue/Redmond for technology companies, or about 30 mins of reverse commute to Bothell for biotech. A little longer to commute to Tacoma or Everett -- would be about 40-60 mins depending on traffic. Weather is most often more "light rain" when compared to Fl downpours -- my first 2 years here I did not own an umbrella -- it's the continuous day-after-day of gray days that gets to most people more than the rain. On the other hand, in the winter I can drive 30-40 minutes East and be skiing...or in the summer enjoy day-after-day of 70-80 degree, humidity-free activities on the water, at the parks, etc.

Moderator cut: soliciting cutGood luck!

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-26-2007 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Please read our T.O.S. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,888 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. My questions may be general because I really don't know the WA area that well but I will take your advice and visit Seattle in early March for a couple of weeks to do more research about places to live and work and if I can stand the weather. My friend did invite me to come up and visit her. I don't think the weather will bother me because in South Florida, we have heavy downpours with harsh thunder and lightning the entire month of June and part of July. I still want to move from FL and still want to move to WA and will read the other posts to get more info. Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 16,404 times
You mentioned your visit to Leavenworth, just remember it is not the same as the Seattle area. You will have less rain and colder winters but warmer summers. The main source of income is from tourism.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM

41 posts, read 211,696 times
I just posted a long post about the woes of Bellingham - - I vote for Centralia, WA.
Great town, great people, progressive city council and growing. Great cost of living as well. You can still get a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house there for less tha $200,000 and you are exactly 1/2 way between Portland and Seattle, 20 minutes south of Olympia.
Just a thought for you since you are open to suggestions. Best to you in your search! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington