Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

I see many positive things here about PA it makes me optimistic about moving there myself. My husband and i have made a serious decision about moving there at the turn of this coming year. We live in Texas and the hot weather is detrimental to my health. I have recently been diagnosed with MS and mild weather is better for someone with my condition. So, last week it was a particularly hot day and he said to me...that's it. I will not have you live another summer here. Next year we'll be somewhere shaded and cool and he resolved to have this move done by mid April. I look forward to the spring. I look forward to friendly people and their town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerus View Post
Hi!

Homeless? Not as bad as Oahu. Many of them were shipped in from the mainland so we have ours and other states' homeless here. . Many of our sidewalks are tent cities for the homeless! In fact, the state plans to spend $77 million on combating it despite our severe traffic and road issues, failing school systems, and high cost of living. Don't even get me started on the Micronesian influx!
What do you mean, the homeless were shipped in from the mainland USA? Who paid to ship them in? Why? Who chose Hawaii as a dumping ground? This doesn't sound plausible.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I live in Port Townsend and we get tons of tourists here in the summer, too! It's a major segment of the economy here...but that's not always a good thing when you have the kind of weather the Olympic Peninsula gets. At least we're closer to Seattle than Sequim and PA.
Could you explain this statement? I'm considering a move to Pt.Townsend. How have the temps been there this summer? Seattle I hear had a heat wave.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you explain this statement? I'm considering a move to Pt.Townsend. How have the temps been there this summer? Seattle I hear had a heat wave.
Ah.. Ole Port Townsend hey,?

Yep, topping out at 80... Had to escape to north beach more than once..

Old 09-13-2014, 03:57 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Love that, wish I could rep you again!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Wow-pretty much tropical weather for Port Townsend. Whoa!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM

14 posts, read 44,878 times
If you think I am lying, Ruth - just Google it. It will come up.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Default What about Silverdale?

Another place we have been looking at is Silverdale.
I do like the fact that there are more stores. Part of it is because I will want to work until I can see if my business idea will take off. Being from a long retail background, it would give me a better chance to get a job in the meantime.

What's everyone else's opinion on it? I don't see a lot of discussion about that area.

Have a good day!

Aloha!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Silverdale is in on the Kitsap Peninsula, you have to cross the Hood Canal to get there. I believe Silverdale is considered a suburb of Bremerton. It's much more populous & congested but has an enormous retail area, all in one spot, just about anything you could ask for, ranging from big box stores like Lowes & Home Depot to stand alone stores like Kohl's & Target. There is also a large mall. There is a Trader Joe's, BevMo, Pier 0ne. There are modern movie theaters and a wide range of chain restaurants such as Red Robin, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Panera. You want, they got it.

My husband commuted to work down there for 2 years. I believe it was around 6o miles or more for him one way from our house. He had to deal with the Hood Canal Bridge being closed and waiting sometimes but he had an app on his phone for that. Fortunately, he worked regular hours but the drive did get very tiring & tedious for him. Of course, neither of us are real young anymore! He did know one guy who made the drive from Port Townsend, that is an easier commute than Port Angeles. Most of the people my husband worked with lived in Silverdale, Seabeck or Bremerton.

I hope this was helpful.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Thanks for answering thisplacesucks! We are probably going to end up in Silverdale first to try it out so the commute shouldn't be a problem in regards to distance. I get some of that here. It takes me an hour to get 12 miles.
If that doesn't work, then probably more forward to Port Angeles and find a job there. Its seems that there is more to do in the Silverdale/Bremerton area especially for our small kids (3YO and 7YO). My only concern about Port Angeles is that when we were there, we didn't see as many small kids and, although the people seemed nice, it wasn't warm because we were outsiders. I worry that we would walking into a community that wouldn't accept us no matter how we contribute to the area. I guess its not so much for myself but for my children. Ah, a mother's mind is never without worry. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington