Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 AM

8 posts, read 17,494 times

Advertisements

- Major city in the state
- Unparalleled beauty
- Not too overcrowded but not desolate
- Pacific Ocean AND Puget Sound
- Borders Canada giving WA residents the option of a weekend trip up to world-class Vancouver
- Live-and-let-live attitude
- Mild climate compared to to some other areas of the US.
- Tons of outdoor activities
- Even reasonable cost of living in most of the state

Any MORE reasons?

Last edited by HAIWISH; 03-27-2013 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Horrible traffic..Seattle and burbs. Freeways are outdated by 20+ years. Many are in need of repaving, re-striping with no reflective markers.(great in the rain, fog, and long dark hours in the winter). Schools and shopping facilities not kept up with population growth. Reasonable cost of living...not...(buy a 30 yr old cracker jack house in the burbs for 600K)! Live and left live attitude.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
too white.
too expensive.
no sun.
people are unfriendly-ish.
everyone has a college degree=education doesn't mean much.

still, like it here a lot.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
WA is 'nice' to 'passive residents', ... BUT has a Non-representitive Government that is causing hundreds of businesses / yr (employers) to flee WA state.

3 populous counties (largely 'renters and/or employees vs. employers') rule the entire state, making it VERY hard for the PRIMARY employers / businesses / investors to keep the state economy healthy. Still better than some states, but going down the tube, as it has slowly been doing for 20+ yrs.

This list is OK for a renter or an EMPLOYEE that come to expect and can enjoy their weekends.
Quote:
- Unparalleled beauty
- Borders Canada giving WA residents the option of a weekend trip up to world-class Vancouver
Employers that are missing their weekends and possibly MEALS for their family due to meeting YOUR payroll requirements (inspite of burdensome taxation and regulation... & HIGHEST minimum wage in USA). Do not judge WA by this type of list...

WA has a lot to offer 'passive residents'.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Wow, lots of hate here! I want to chime in and say no place is perfect- as someone pointed out our freeways do need repaving, restriping, etc- but the condition of those freeways is not *that* bad, and certainly don't make this a terrible place to live.
I agree with everything you have said, I've lived here 3 and a half years now and absolutely love the place, almost everything about it. The natural beauty here is unmatched anywhere else I have been, I love how forward thinking the Seattle metro area is, and contrary to what others here say I find the people to be great- just as friendly as they were back home in the Midwest.

Sure I wish we had the same focus and effort put into infrastructure like you see in the big cities of Texas, with all the freeways in great new condition- but hopefully over time those repairs/upgrades will happen.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIWISH View Post
- Unparalleled beauty

Any MORE reasons?
not that I'm saying you're wrong, but you could apply all those bullets to Colorado as well, except for the bordering Canada part.

I actually lived in Seattle for about 3 years before moving here to Denver. I loved it there.

Washington is definitely up there as one of the best states to live in in the country, along with Colorado.

Being an east-coaster and having lived in DC, MD, North and South Carolina....I definitely prefer most of the country that's west of the Mississippi.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
not that I'm saying you're wrong, but you could apply all those bullets to Colorado as well, except for the bordering Canada part.
Colorado has Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound?

Washington is not perfect. A lot of infrastructure is outdated (and repairs when they do happen seem to take eons to plan and complete), state and local governments are a bit spend happy, and the entire western half of the state gets way too many rainy days per year, but it is still a great place to live and offers many pluses. Abundant natural beauty and abundant outdoor recreation state wide, year round being one of the best.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WA is 'nice' to 'passive residents', ... BUT has a Non-representitive Government that is causing hundreds of businesses / yr (employers) to flee WA state.
SR, I've called you out on this again and again regarding both Washington and Oregon. NAME COMPANIES THAT ARE FLEEING!! If there are "hundreds" then this should be easy.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Colorado has Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound?

the entire western half of the state gets way too many rainy days per .
well, no Pacific Ocean or Puget Sound, but they've got the Rockies. Ski capital USA

and due to lack of an ocean presence, Denver has the biggest water park in the country.

As far as the rain, that's probably the only thing I didn't care for Seattle. Here in Denver, there's 300 days of sunshine a year. a quick google search shows Seattle at about 164 days of sunshine a year...that's damn near HALF the amount of sunny days.

With all that said, I like Seattle and Denver about the same. I do miss the ocean, and going to Vancouver was awesome. If only Seattle wasn't so expensive, we probably would've stayed

Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
well, no Pacific Ocean or Puget Sound, but they've got the Rockies. Ski capital USA

and due to lack of an ocean presence, Denver has the biggest water park in the country.

As far as the rain, that's probably the only thing I didn't care for Seattle. Here in Denver, there's 300 days of sunshine a year. a quick google search shows Seattle at about 164 days of sunshine a year...that's damn near HALF the amount of sunny days.

With all that said, I like Seattle and Denver about the same. I do miss the ocean, and going to Vancouver was awesome. If only Seattle wasn't so expensive, we probably would've stayed
If I ever had to relocate and couldn't choose another place in Washington or a place in Alaska, Colorado would actually be pretty high up on the list for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington