Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times

Advertisements

you might like Northern Wisconsin better. Here we saw the sun 3 times last winter. Too bad it was 35 below and windy, right after a huge snowstorm we see the sun for up to several hours at a time. We do not receive any drizzle in the winter and the rain just shovels off the drive by the foot, for some reason it is white and fluffy rain. Gota look into that!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM

60 posts, read 289,025 times
I think I need to clarify my post. I have been to Seattle a LOT. I almost bought a house out by Lake Sammamish/Redmond a few years back. I also grew up in southern Sweden and it rained a LOT. And it's dark a lot!! I spent 2 years in London, UK, and it's grey!! And over the past 10 years we see less and less snow back home in Sweden - so the darkness is not "lifted" by the white ground cover. Of course I think the constant grey can be a bummer, but it is offset by nature's beauty up there. I don't believe that everyone who lives there LOVES the gray days - I believe you put up with it in return for the nature and scenic beauty of the area.

My move to WA is not filled by any disillusion of great weather. I've visited both in summer and winter. However, I've really only visited the same areas each time, and from what I've heard, there are differences in climate in Bellingham, the Olympic Peninsula, Seattle, etc. I felt like some of you (not all by any means!) jumped on my case here - I'm not a naive So Cal gal who has no clue. I just wanted some input on different climates around the area. Again, any useful input would be appreciated. (and thanks to you that's given some great input!)

Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 41,383 times
If you are looking for the least cloudy/rainy area in western WA, you should check out Sequim. Sequim has little rain and often when I'm there, it's sunny and by the time I get home it's pouring.

I was told when I moved here that for each mile west toward Port Angles and Forks, you add 1 inch of rain so by the time you are south of Forks, you are up to 12 FEET of rain a year. That's where I live for now and I put up with it because it is remote and beautiful.
We are moving to Tacoma as soon as I'm packed and he house is sold and what I'm looking forward to is the "good" weather! Just think, summer that is more than the second week in August.
Good luck in your search.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM

68 posts, read 338,565 times
Main thing that you mentioned was wind, so I'll say that Western WA is fairly low on wind with the exception of the shore regions (particularly the places directly on the Pacific rather than the Puget Sound), anywhere directly in the path of the Strait of Juan de Fuca like the San Juans and the north side of the Kitsap peninsula, and anywhere that buildings can channel wind coming in off the sound like downtown Seattle. In general, living even 15-20 minutes from the Sound can give you significant protection from some of the cooler winds compared to people living nearer to the water.

Olympic peninsula has many microclimate regions... it's one of those places where two places 10 or 20 miles apart from each other can have significantly different weather due to the effects of the rain shadow and winds off the Strait.

There is also something to be said for elevation in the Puget Sound. If you live in the beginning foothills of the cascades, it can often mean that you get snow when people that live only 10-20 miles away do not. And it can also mean a couple degrees cooler weather in general. Bellingham is similar to some of the areas around Seattle that are at a slightly higher elevation. They're a couple degrees cooler, and since Seattle temps hover right above the freezing point oftentimes in winter, those couple degrees sometimes mean one or two more systems capable of putting out a couple inches of snow per year.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 27,136 times
We have an opportunity to move to the Seattle area but would be living in an eastern suburb (although we have no idea as of yet where). Can someone tell me if Seattle's grey skies and drizzle follow you to the eastern suburbs like the Bothell & Woodinville areas? I know from where I have lived the weather in the suburbs can be quite different than the weather in the actual major city close to them (ex: Chicago,Milwaukee). Is that the case here in the Seattle area?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I understand that there are micro climates and differences in the wind/cloud cover/rain--I used to forecast weather for the Air Force, so I know. But I really think the differences are slight, and that trying to nail down the best micro climate in W WA is like splitting hairs. After a while, it just isn't very noteworthy.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM

309 posts, read 365,344 times
As one who has also studied weather forecasting for many years.....I can tell you (Wisconsinfan).....that yes, there are microclimates here in the Puget Sound area....but you are very hardpressed to truly "escape" drip, drizzle, fog, etc.
The windflow throughout the Puget Sound area plays such an important role as to which areas are more likely than others to receive more precipitation.
Generally.....MORE rain/snow along the foothills and in the higher terrain....especially the west-facing slopes of both....the Olympics and the Cascades. A very pronounced "rain shadow" effect exists around Sequim/Pt. Townsend from the Olympic Mtns. effectively BLOCKING moisture by "ringing it out" on the opposite side of the mtn. range.....around Forks.
Also....on many occasions.....windflow will collide....with winds coming through the Strait of Juan de Fuca and winds coming up from the southern Puget Sound and literally......converging into each other around Everett. This well known "convergence zone" is almost ALWAYS in the same place......from the north side of Seattle to/and especially around Everett.....which can often.....be the ONLY area getting a continuous rain (drip).....when everyone else is dry.....for the moment.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 PM

60 posts, read 289,025 times
All phenomenal input!! I realize the differences might be slight, but I still find it interesting!! Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM

13 posts, read 31,816 times
Have lived in Central Kitsap, too much rain, 60 inches plus and gray for months at a time. Olympia gets even more rain that Kitsap county. Sequim gets the least amount of rain than any of these, including Bellngham, but I live in Sequim now and hate the gray cold winters. Summer and fall are best. Bellingham is very windy like Sequim and is further north so it gets more snow and ice. Last year Sequim had a foot or more of soft slushy snow that stayed for a week though that is unusual. If you dont mind cold wind and many gray days you will love here in Sequim all year round. When the weather is nice, it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Medical care is NOT adequate. Many people cannot even find a doctor as most are not taking new patients. If you have a serious injury or health problem you have to get flown by helo or drive to Seattle. Big negative for a retirement community like Sequim. Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 AM

97 posts, read 427,507 times
The weather pattern that you want to watch is the convergence zone which is located smack dab in the middle of Seattle. This area is where the Jet Stream typically hits land. Everything North of the Convergence Zone is far windier and more extreme in weather (Mt. Baker had record snow fall a couple years back). The area protected of wind is mostly everything south (including the Kitsap Peninsula) all the way down to Olympia. I never see wind as a problem here. Rain can get on your nerves and there is typically less in the Rain Shadow on the Olympic Peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington