Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 67,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
From the way I understand it, each U.S. citizen must have a state that they consider their domicile. That is the state in which you receive your mail, are registered to vote, have your drivers' license, and the address you use to file your Federal income taxes.

The address that you use on your tax return I'm assuming is the state of your residence. When you get your Washington driver's license, it is assumed that you are a resident of Washington state. It will be where you are registered to vote and where you normally receive your mail.

When getting a learner's permit (or drivers' license), I'm thinking it is assumed and implied that you are a resident of that state. So when you go to apply for your permit, you are going to have to provide an address. The DMV in that state in turn will assume that the address you give will be in that state and you will be declaring domicile in that state. The way I understand it, you can only have one state in which you declare domicile. I've heard it described, however, that "domicle" is more of a "state of mind" and really doesn't mean that you can't travel and stay in other states for periods of time.

For instance, personally, I travel and am on the go fairly constantly, but I have one state that I call my legal domicile. I don't stay in that state much any more but it's where I vote, collect my mail, have my driver's license, and legally refer to as "home."

Those more legally savvy can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you, too, will have to consider some state your domicile.

Pertaining to your learner's permit, no, I don't believe you'd be able to have a learner's permit in both states at the same time because of the reasons already discussed. If you already had a WA learner's permit, and wanted to get another one in Idaho, Idaho would assume and expect that you are a resident of their state. Same goes with a license as you are legally not suppose to have a license in more than one state (I know, I know, many will say they have driver's licenses in more than one state but to my understanding, it's illegal).
I know, but my case is different. I was born as an anchor baby, my parents are not citizen in the US. We never had a permanent address in the US and we went back to Hong Kong since I was born. I moved to WA alone when I was 16, but again, not domicile in any State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times
My best answer though, is to contact or go to the DMV and ask. I know it will be painful to wait in line, and it might be hard staying awake talking to them, but they should have the answer for you... and hopefully not lock you up on the spot. Best of luck and see you on the roads... someday.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
You have sure got a lot of good advice here...

I'm ashamed thet the WA forum is sinking down to Oregon stds...

When in Doubt ask at WA DOL WA State Licensing: Driving test

It appears WA does NOT require an 'in-state' vehicle for test, but many states do. I suspect it is the states that have annual vehicle safety inspection requirements that require it. (and WA does NOT require saftey inspections).

BE sure car is legally registered, Insured to WA minimums (ID may be lower), and all lights work, and no cracked windshield. You probably want a signed affidavitt of registered owner giving you permission to drive it (Cuz YOUR insurance is primary, and YOU may not have auto insurance). Testing officer may refuse to ride in a car that YOU cannot verify ownership / permission. They CAN be a real PITA, and they CAN be nice...(pleasant, but never friendly). BE SURE to know which way to turn your wheels when parking on a hill (Always pointed so car will roll OFF the road if it moves). Use your mirrors OFTEN, but also look over your shoulder BEFORE changing lanes, and take extra precaution when backing.

If you are new to driving... AFTER your test, memorize and USE the Smith rules of driving.
5 smith rules of driving.

My kids have been out of the house 10 yrs, and they still get quizzed on the rules by me. THE RULES can save your bacon. ONE accident is too many if it hurts you or someone else. (I made flash cards for them when they had their permits.) Welcome back from China, I spend a lot of time there. NO driving in the city without a horn!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
HI don't see where that is breaking any laws where they will put you in in prison for three years. I just don't see where you are abusing the system.
You didn't get the joke Reading the responses here, people don't really understand the main question. It is not if you can take a permit in two states at the same time.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycelolovey View Post
I know, but my case is different. I was born as an anchor baby, my parents are not citizen in the US. We never had a permanent address in the US and we went back to Hong Kong since I was born. I moved to WA alone when I was 16, but again, not domicile in any State
If you live in Washington, you are a Washington resident. You don't have to do anything else to become one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington