Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,529 times

Advertisements

All four rentals across the street from me are occupied by hispanics. One family shows up and rents the place, then 2-3 others move in after the fact, filling the street with cars parked all over the place, 6-7 kids per household playing in the street, blocking traffic, and mariachi music playin all hours of the day.

Why is WA attracting so many hispanics considering we are so far from the border? Are the border states full?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,675 times
It's the changing face of America. Time to accept it. I don't mind having them around, they add character to neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Please.

You did not mention what part of the state you are in, but any place with jobs and/or a quality of life to be had will attract ALL kinds of people.

In case you haven't been to the middle 1/3 of the state lately, there has been no recent "takeover", they've been there for awhile (and have been increasing in numbers in the I-5 corridor over the past 15 years, again, for the reason mentioned above).

Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM

68 posts, read 211,014 times
Maybe it is because we have a generally tolerant population?

Also, we have a large agricultural sector in most regions of the state and the highest minimum wage in the country (I think...). This is attractive for Hispanics from Latin America who mostly just want to better their lives and, unfortunately, often don't have a strong enough grasp of English or the right training for more financially lucrative jobs.

But our Hispanic population is not that huge statewide (under 15%). But I appreciate the unique food and culture they bring here.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I'd like to know where this is too. We have in our area a lot of Indians and some Asians but very few Hispanics. In my travels around the state I only notice then in any significant numbers in the farming areas like Yakima, and near Lake Chelan. Even there, the orchard farmers complain that they cannot get enough workers to pick the crops, as the usual Hispanic workers are getting old or are afraid of getting deported.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,647 times
Maybe they are attracted to your open mindedness and general acceptance of all people? It's possible.

But seriously judging from your past threads you have always had problems with hispanics. They are likely not invading and taking over, but instead are always on your mind and each time you see anyone with brown skin you are threatened that there is another and another. As a racial group, they are the future of this country and I'll bet if you got to know your neighbors you'd find them to be good people juts trying to get through life.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Take a look at the diversity myth thread before calling a trend. Certain areas haver higher ethnic concentrations, but overall demographics don't show any kind of rapid change.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Maybe they are attracted to your open mindedness and general acceptance of all people? It's possible.

But seriously judging from your past threads you have always had problems with hispanics. They are likely not invading and taking over, but instead are always on your mind and each time you see anyone with brown skin you are threatened that there is another and another. As a racial group, they are the future of this country and I'll bet if you got to know your neighbors you'd find them to be good people juts trying to get through life.
Ugh, what threads are you talking about?

I AM brown buddy...

I don't care that they are brown, great argument though. Bravo.

Yeah, I'll tell you what, there are 14 Mexicans living in a 2 bed 1 bath that you can have move in next door to you. Come get them. They just want to have a good life.

Bringing in educated Chinese and Indians (also brown people FYI) makes sense because they are the least likely to be a drain on society. Most are MD's, Software Developers, etc Uneducated illegals from Latin counties are among the most likely to be a drain on society. It shows in their culture and it affects OUR quality of life.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 05-08-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Take a look at the diversity myth thread before calling a trend. Certain areas haver higher ethnic concentrations, but overall demographics don't show any kind of rapid change.

This is not true. 2010 census showed a 71% increase in hispancs in WA alone between 2000 and 2010 compared to .1 and 2% for other races such as Asians, Blacks, etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
All four rentals across the street from me are occupied by hispanics. One family shows up and rents the place, then 2-3 others move in after the fact, filling the street with cars parked all over the place, 6-7 kids per household playing in the street, blocking traffic, and mariachi music playin all hours of the day.

Why is WA attracting so many hispanics considering we are so far from the border? Are the border states full?
Gee, I wonder whether the Native Americans thought this same way when the first ships started arriving on their shores.

Seriously, America is known as a melting pot because we DO have so many cultures here. It's a good thing. Try getting to know your neighbors. You might actually like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington