Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 82,968 times

Advertisements

Trying to find out about living on Anderson Island, expenses, environment, the ferry or anything unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Anderson Island is a very close-knit community. The hub of the island is the general store, where everybody gets their news and basic commodities. Living on an island that connects to the mainland only by ferry requires an entirely different mind set. Your schedule will be determined by the ferry schedule and your expenses will be impacted by the ferry. Not just the costs for the transfer, but also the costs for everything that has to be brought to the island by ferry, be it constriction materials, gardening supplies, etc. Life needs a bit more preparation and planning. For example: Keep food supplies on hand in case the ferry can't run for a few days. Spontaneity goes out the window because you can't just catch a late night movie on the main land without spending the night on the main land as well.
On the other hand, life on the island is much more relaxed and slower-paced. People tend to be friendlier and less concerned about crime. I would recommend renting a vacation home on the island for a few weeks before making the decision to live there permanently.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 82,968 times
We (now retired) are planning to move to the Olympia area as soon as our house in Ohio sells (it's pending now) and have been browsing on line. I never could find anything specific about Anderson Island except that if the electric goes out and the underwater cable needs repair, all rates go up. The one property I would consider is the fully furnished house, since we are leaving most furniture and appliances behind. Our biggest logistic problem would be our animals.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Here's an old thread (with additional links to even more threads) that might help give you some more information too. Sandy always gives such great information and I see that see responded in that thread too.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ashington.html

Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Hm. I know it's where part of the movie "War Games" was filmed. I have never heard anything about the island other than in that context, and I've lived in the Seattle area most of my life. That should tell you how remote/removed it is.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,041 times
I am also looking into moving to Anderson Island. I found one posted review which states there is a problem with meth being produced on the island and empty homes being used for criminal activities. I'm not sure if a native is trying to scare off retirees looking at the island or if this is actually an issue. When my parents retire they have one chance of finding that perfect spot that they can afford that is pleasant to live in, if anyone could please reply that would be great. We are currently selling their house and the clock is ticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington