Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 40,436 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I currently live in Bellingham—the Columbia neighborhood for those of you familiar with the town. My husband was recently offered his very first teaching job, in the Yakima Valley. My first thought was, "Yakima. Hmm. At least we'll save money on rent!"

Not so.

Yakima housing costs are somehow on par with housing costs in Bellingham. Bellingham is a beautiful, safe coastal town with a cute downtown and fun things to do on the weekend. It's also a hop, skip, and a jump away from Vancouver, B.C. Right now, we pay $1,050 for an adorable 2-bedroom craftsman style house. We were thinking we'd pay maybe $800 month for a similar house in Yakima. However, it seems a so-so house in Yakima in a so-so neighborhood costs probably $1,200. When I see ads like this, I can't help but think, "These people *do* know the house is in YAKIMA, right?!"

My question is this:

Are there benefits to living in Yakima that I'm simply not aware of? Or is there a lack of housing in the area that drives up the prices? I completely realize that $1,200 is super cheap as far as rent goes (Believe me, I lived in Seattle for several years after college). But Bellingham is such a desirable place to live, and Yakima—to the extent that I'm aware—isn't. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
That is surprising. Maybe this is just because of the time of year and not necessarily representative.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Because Bellingham did not wake up and decide that it was the Palm Springs of Washington?

I get a laugh from that sign every time. More like the Ciudad Juarez of Washington.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Hey, I remember when it was the Palm Springs of Washington!!! I think the sign is still up.

But, remember that it is all a function of supply and demand. Yakima might not be your cup of tea, but for folks from Mexico it is a slice of heaven compared to back home.

Kids are moving to big cities, retirees are moving to "good" weather towns, and Mexico is moving north where ever they can find work without a I-9 form to fill out.

Bellingham looks to be falling between the cracks with current migration patterns.

Oh, you definitely want to live as far west as you can in Yakima. Like maybe Naches.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 40,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Hey, I remember when it was the Palm Springs of Washington!!! I think the sign is still up.

But, remember that it is all a function of supply and demand. Yakima might not be your cup of tea, but for folks from Mexico it is a slice of heaven compared to back home.

Kids are moving to big cities, retirees are moving to "good" weather towns, and Mexico is moving north where ever they can find work without a I-9 form to fill out.

Bellingham looks to be falling between the cracks with current migration patterns.

Oh, you definitely want to live as far west as you can in Yakima. Like maybe Naches.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've noticed that West Yakima and Selah seem to be the two areas with the most demand. I guess I'm just surprised that so many people in Yakima can afford $1,200. For some reason, I assumed good jobs in Yakima are few and far between.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happenstancer View Post
For some reason, I assumed good jobs in Yakima are few and far between.
Yakima is a metro area....so they have the normal complement of high paid jobs. Civil Service jobs like firemen and police. Medical services. School Administrators. State and Federal jobs.

My read is that eastern Washington has many more self-employed individuals. So many people are broke when it comes to their Schedule C on their income tax returns.....but they have an airstrip and airplane on their farm.

Then there is the migration from Mexico and points south of really poor people that will take any jobs at virtually any pay. That brings down the average wage dramatically, but for those folks in "licensed or credential positions" it has no effect.

And, of course, you have the people that make really good money owning businesses in those communities. I don't mean this in a negative sense. Even in really poor areas, you will have successful businesses.

Its not good jobs in Yakima that are in short supply. It is poor people that are in excess supply and more coming everyday. However, as an immigrant myself I cannot blame them for wanting to move for a chance of a decent life.

Whether this is a good idea from the point of view of the folks already here is open to debate.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
The other possibility, or the side of the coin, looking at it from someone who grew up in another "Seattleite immigrant" area of Central Washington, is the possibility that real estate prices and property taxes remain high due to the "Coastie Effect" - rich retirees from Seattle and Los Angeles moving to the sun belt of Washington. This is the case even in the Yakima area. These people came from high-paying urban job centers and moved, with their money in tow, to Eastern WA, building McMansions and trendy wineries and creating artificially-inflated real estate values. In this environment, the natives to the area have no choice but to increase rent or sell. This is one of the reasons that the real estate market in places like Wenatchee weathered the housing-bubble storm much better than most areas of the country. Good for real estate, bad for the people who grow up in those areas who can no longer afford the property tax.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The newer homes in Yakima are popular with retirees, they are still close to their families but have a lot more sunny weather. Bellingham is a great college town, but with more rain than Seattle no one wants to stay there after college or retire there. Well, except maybe me, I'd take Bellingham over Yakima any time but I like rain and hate hot.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,137 times
Yakima doesn't have a lot of rental houses for some reason, so that's probably why rents seem a bit high.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
What is the difference between the two, Yakima has more taco stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington