Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times

Advertisements

Out of curiousity, what do you think northwest culture entails and what distinguishes it from west coast culture in general? This is a broad question but I'd like to open up discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Cloudy and rainy weather, and reserved people. A love of water sports and mountain climbing.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
We don't use umbrellas.

We think 80 degrees is unbearable heat. (Well, they think that. It's never hot enough here for me.)

Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
I would agree that a love of the outdoors and outdoor recreation is very pervasive in NW culture, but I think culture is probably less enveloping and more regional around here than it is in, say, the Southeast US.

When people think of "Dixieland", they think of Southern Hospitality, fried food, the Southern accent, fireflies, Nascar, etc.; while there seems to be much less that identifies our region as a whole (salmon and aloof people are about the only ones I can think of).

For example, I think the culture of Eastern WA is closer to that of Idaho and/or the northern Rocky Mountain states, than it is to the culture of Seattle.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Western NW culture would definitely be a walk on a pebbly beach during a cloudy day. Just pure nature and quietness.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
There isn't really such a thing as a really distinct Northwestern culture. Oregon and Washington were just similar to the culture of most of the rest of the West until recently. Same thing with California.

People are asked to provide examples of western Northwestern culture and all that comes up is coffee and salmon and rain... That's hardly a culture. People love the outdoors everywhere in the western US.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM

171 posts, read 355,657 times
Recycling! And caring about the environment in general.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Recycling? Please. In Bellingham, plenty of office buildings and such aren't into recycling anything but paper.

And for residential, my hometown of 10k people in Nowhere, PA was recycling back in 1990. Except instead of those annoying little bins, it was a full size blue garbage can, and no sorting was required.

We're still not even at that point in most communities. I recall reading a success story where some city changed from the annoying sorting paradigm to the one bin paradigm and saved lots of money, even when you consider the costs of sorting it later. That's because more people recycled when it was less annoying, so the city had to pay to dispose of much less waste in the landfill.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I would agree that a love of the outdoors and outdoor recreation is very pervasive in NW culture, but I think culture is probably less enveloping and more regional around here than it is in, say, the Southeast US.

When people think of "Dixieland", they think of Southern Hospitality, fried food, the Southern accent, fireflies, Nascar, etc.; while there seems to be much less that identifies our region as a whole (salmon and aloof people are about the only ones I can think of).

For example, I think the culture of Eastern WA is closer to that of Idaho and/or the northern Rocky Mountain states, than it is to the culture of Seattle.
Whooaaaaaaaaaaa....

There are no fireflies in Washington?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
A couple of my freinds are from Texas and Los Angeles.

Both say the main thing that irks them is that people in the PNW are so laid back they are almost catatonic compared to Dallas and LA.

The LA guy says things like "Yeah there's a lot to do here, but nothing I like to do. I'm a city boy".

He doesn't hike camp fish hunt boat bike, etc...

Both say the beaches suck big time.

I'm in Portland. kind of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington