Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM

206 posts, read 410,757 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Northern CA and are planning a move to the Western WA area. We're active people who like to hike and really enjoy more natural settings. So, we don't want to live in a very urban area, but we don't want cows for neighbors, either. We were thinking of places like North Bend, Enumclaw, Edgewood, Snowqualimie Ridge, the Olympic Peninsula or some of the islands. But, we're also a little concerned about what things might be like for us because, although we're both Americans, my parents are from Europe and hers are from Jamaica.

Should we steer clear of any of the areas I mentioned? Are there any areas that match our interests where we would feel comfortable? How should we expect to be treated overall?

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM

403 posts, read 1,563,762 times
All of those areas sound fine. I would also look south of that... Olympia, Tumwater, Centralia or Chehalis. The cost of living is less if you travel further south.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 44,555 times
I say it all the time, but we live in North Bend and love it. Great for outdoorsy people and families and people without kids too. It's beautiful here. It's close enough to get into Seattle, Bellevue, Issaquah without much effort. The mountains are close for skiiing, snow, hiking, etc too. I think the Snoqualmie Valley is a wonderful place to live.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 15,566 times
Brememton was rated very high for livability by Money Magazine. The country side around the area meets all their requirements. And Bremerton is a racially diverse community thanks to the US Navy.

I liked living in Bremerton.

Also what should you expect? When I first came to the NW I was amazed at how polite people were to each other no matter their ethnicity. This was true even in the Seatac area. Seatac is considered a tougher part of the state. Compared to California even the tougher areas are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoSeattleAnn View Post
I say it all the time, but we live in North Bend and love it. Great for outdoorsy people and families and people without kids too. It's beautiful here. It's close enough to get into Seattle, Bellevue, Issaquah without much effort. The mountains are close for skiiing, snow, hiking, etc too. I think the Snoqualmie Valley is a wonderful place to live.
Except the property prices in Bend have exceeded their realistic value by quite a percentage. What about the areas around Bothel?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM

97 posts, read 427,553 times
Washington is a state of immigrants from every culture. Washingtonians are fascinated by people from different areas I'd say more than people from the East Coast (In the most generalistic of ways). I'm assuming you are white and she is black given the information you've given. Interracial marriages are commonplace in Washington and although there are not a lot of Blacks in Washington no one cares all that much.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 PM

206 posts, read 410,757 times
Thanks for the info. I feel better about the move...Anyway, I hope all of you enjoy your turkey day.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I used to live in Tacoma for 10 years (Google Salmon Beach Tacoma Wa.) You'll be fine in western Washington, old rednecks like me seem to feel more comfortable in and around the inland empire ! Good luck with your move, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington