Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Much more preferable than the bridge idea!
Though his Idea for the ferries would make the system more efficient then it is now and would be cheaper then a tunnel, it has been proven that the ferry system is Dated and is not cost effective anymore. A tunnel will help provide growth for kitsap peninsula and would provide urban relieve from this growing area. Though the cost of a tunnel would probably be atleast 3 billion dollars, the infrastructure upside would be great for the entire Puget sound area, and it would be efficient and viable for years to come. But that's just my opinion on the matter. But a faster ferry system would definitely solve alot of today's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
How about high speed rail with regular service which will connect many of Washington's larger areas? Vancouver, Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham, Blaine (BC access), Bremerton, Port Angeles, Wenatchee, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla, Moses Lake (and maybe Quincy?), and Spokane, with an option for extensions to Long Beach, West Port, Aberdeen, and Ocean Shores for coastal access.
The #s don't add up for that relic form of transportation. I'd rather they spend relic-rail money within the city of Seattle and jack up the zoning densities. Anywhere else and it does not make much sense.

Quote:
I'd also put funding BACK into arts and music programs at public schools which have been suffering for years.
Math, science, technology, and engineering is where the schools need to focus. Community groups, charities, volunteers, etc. should pick up the slack on music and the arts outside of school.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Math, science, technology, and engineering is where the schools need to focus. Community groups, charities, volunteers, etc. should pick up the slack on music and the arts outside of school.
Here is the thing. Music serves as a great outlet for at-risk children. Ofcourse it would be nice if out of school groups would pick up the slack but they can't reach as many kids as schools can. It's proven the kids involved in music actually do better academically. Ofcourse we should focus more of Math, Technology, and science, but music is a great investment especially at the elementary and middle school level.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
How about high speed rail with regular service which will connect many of Washington's larger areas? Vancouver, Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham, Blaine (BC access), Bremerton, Port Angeles, Wenatchee, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla, Moses Lake (and maybe Quincy?), and Spokane, with an option for extensions to Long Beach, West Port, Aberdeen, and Ocean Shores for coastal access.
I usually always agree with your posts, but I have to disagree here. Not only would this be prohibitively expensive, but it would make it much easier for people who work in Western WA to live in Eastern WA. And that would ruin Eastern WA for those of us that are here - who want the low population density and low cost of living to stay that way.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Quote:

What would the difference be? People who drive more miles are ALREADY paying more in the form of having to purchase more gas. It would also take that incentive away from people buying hybrids.
Hybrids and electric vehicles put just as much wear and tear on the roads as a similarly sized gas-powered car. This would make sure that all drivers are paying their fair share of road maintenance costs.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
You're probably talking closer to $15 billion for the tunnel and the approaches to it. You'd need highways leading to and from it and that means buying or condemning the land along the routes. And the lawsuits and neighborhood groups and anti-tax whiners...

I think bridging or tunneling the Sound is a good idea, but it's a massive project that would need a LOT of buy-in from the people who would wind up paying for it.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
If you were the leader of the State of Washington and had absolute power, what changes would you make to the state? Any Infrastructure, education, social climate changes?
If you aren't in this country legally, no drivers license and no state social services. Stop making us a sanctuary state for dirt poor unskilled illegal border jumpers who depress wages and burden our public and private social services.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The #s don't add up for that relic form of transportation. I'd rather they spend relic-rail money within the city of Seattle and jack up the zoning densities. Anywhere else and it does not make much sense.

Schools already have plenty of this and arts and music programs are continually stripped away. It's rather sad. Culture is important.

Also, I don't understand how it is "relic" technology. Many countries have very modern high speed rail lines serving them.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I usually always agree with your posts, but I have to disagree here. Not only would this be prohibitively expensive, but it would make it much easier for people who work in Western WA to live in Eastern WA. And that would ruin Eastern WA for those of us that are here - who want the low population density and low cost of living to stay that way.
While that is a good point, there are too many people who just flat out hate the arid climate. But yes, I do agree, and I absolutely love Eastern Washington just the way it is. I'd move and take rail back and forth if it existed but I certainly wouldn't want to change anything about it. Too bad the company I work for doesn't have any Eastern WA locations. I'd transfer. I feel so much more in my element on that side of the state!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Here is the thing. Music serves as a great outlet for at-risk children. Ofcourse it would be nice if out of school groups would pick up the slack but they can't reach as many kids as schools can. It's proven the kids involved in music actually do better academically. Ofcourse we should focus more of Math, Technology, and science, but music is a great investment especially at the elementary and middle school level.
Agreed. And yes, there is a link between music and academics. I started to excel at math after I took up the piano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington