Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wrong. I want art and music 100% elective. Sean wants it mandatory.
I thought you wanted it removed from school completely and instead taught through other means? Music and arts SHOULD be offered in schools. At the elementary level there should be mandatory introductory classes (maybe a couple of times per month), and thereafter those who are interested should be offered to continue with arts and music education throughout the rest of their school career as an elective opportunity, alongside the mandatory core classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post

And as for Latin, well, foreign languages in general should always be offered.
It has been awhile since Latin has been a foreign language.

Learning Latin > singing songs and finger painting.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Quote:
It has been awhile since Latin has been a foreign language.

Learning Latin > singing songs and finger painting.
It may be largely defunct (still some speakers out there) but it is a great gateway to the rest of the Romance languages. And I stand by my comment that foreign languages in general should always be offered. I took a year of Spanish in high school and wish I'd done more. I would love to be fluent in more than just English, and the ability to speak foreign languages is a good skill to have in general.

Also, art and music is more than singing and finger painting. Learning how to play instruments, music appreciation (many don't have it these days), drawing and graphic arts, photography (which serves as a good tie-in for Journalism, another good elective), and so much more.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I thought you wanted it removed from school completely and instead taught through other means? Music and arts SHOULD be offered in schools.
I think its funding and time commitment should take a distant back seat to other disciplines. Schools where we are failing on the basics most certainly SHOULD NOT be stealing away time and resources on frivolous art and music.

As schools are well funded, yet crying for more revenues, it is up to the private community to step up its effort to fund art, music, sports, and other great, but non-essential programs.

Unless we reform the schools, there will not be the adequate resources, instruction, or time for art & music programs. Since the Teacher's cartel is very connected with & heavily supports the one party that has controlled Olympia for over a quarter of a century, I do not foresee any meaningful school reform anytime soon.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It may be largely defunct (still some speakers out there) but it is a great gateway to the rest of the Romance languages.

...and beyond as Latin based words have infiltrated scores of languages. Learning Latin would have served me much better than sitting on a hard floor singing insanely stupid folks songs K-5.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
School isn't just about knowledge. It's also about cognitive development. It's about engaging parts of the brain that would otherwise lay fallow. Study after study shows that music education has very positive benefits for kids, just like foreign language education. It's important for students to learn advanced math not because they are going to use it later in life, but because it helps to increase neural density. Neural density = intelligence.

You might not think that you got anything out of your music education, Andy, but you did.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
And back to the leader discussion:

New law: No transportation project can result in a net loss of traffic carrying capacity along the route. Traffic projects that increase travel time must be offset with a project that reduces travel time along the same corridor.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Learning Latin would have served me much better than sitting on a hard floor singing insanely stupid folks songs K-5.
Why don't you understand Art is more then singing and finger painting? You know how much inteligence and discipline it takes to play and learn symphonic music? I played the string bass for 8 years and it's not easy at all. Graphic design art provides a gateway to kids for the tech, film, and game industries. Photography helps in journalism. Video Arts also can provide a gateway to a career in the TV/Film industry. Preforming arts, test your mental capabilities, and kids not only can express themselves but gain confidence in public speaking and leadership. Alot of the things you learn from art will stick with you long after you basic pre-calculus skills have faded. It was enlighten, Truly test our will. Music is more then singing while Visual arts in more then finger painting. I do thing foreign language should be taught at a younger age though and science and tech is important in schools and should start to be taught more widely.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 AM

148 posts, read 224,056 times
1). Anyone going to college on taxpayer's dime must get a job in their major field of study within 1 year of graduation. Otherwise, any taxpayer-subsidized student loan interest goes to 25% APR.
2). Order all federal taxes be collected by state tax collector (if not already). Then once a year, the state house can decide how much to send to D.C. The rest stays in Washington state. In exchange, WA does not ask for a penny of D.C. money (keep it for national defense, intrastate infrastructure, international representation, done).
3). All K thru 12 curricula handled by local districts. State funding depends on results. Make stupid kids, get stupid nothing.
4). Whenever a judge or parole board releases a criminal early, or with a light sentence, that convict must live in the home of said judge or parole board for 2 years. Or at least next door.
5). Would move to a more user fee system for government services. Like the road taxes (drivers license fees, gas taxes, registration fees, etc.). If you use the parks, pay a fee (or get an annual pass). If you use bike trails, same thing. If you fish, license fee. Now I know these already exit, but the fees are not self-sustaining. So charge more, and get them to be self-sustaining, e.g., all hunting and fishing license money goes to game management, so no money from general tax revenues goes to game management. Same for other stuff, so your tax money will not go to bike trails if you do not use bike trails. But if you do, then you pay a high enough fee to support building and maintaining the trails.
6). Anyone getting welfare, food stamps, corporate welfare, or other form of "free" money, must visit the homes of every taxpayer in their county once a year and kiss their ****ing asses.

Last edited by freewest; 08-25-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
And back to the leader discussion:

New law: No transportation project can result in a net loss of traffic carrying capacity along the route. Traffic projects that increase travel time must be offset with a project that reduces travel time along the same corridor.
On that subject, I'd have more round the clock construction in high traffic areas in order to rapidly finish those projects instead of stretching them out for months while nothing gets done on weekends and evenings, even if this means higher costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington