Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,927 times

Advertisements

I am driving from Davenport, IA to Seattle, WA in early January and searching for the best routeto traverse the plains and mountains, given the likelihood of snow/ice Any advise will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM

16 posts, read 71,041 times
Make sure you have tire chains and feel comfortable putting them on.
I can speak for the I-90 route through Wyoming and Montana. The roads are generally well cared for and you shouldn't have any problems. If I remember correctly you'll hit one mountain pass in Wyoming and 2 in Montana. It's an incredibly beautiful drive.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into what looks like a "shortcut" on the map. I made this mistake (the road didn't look unmaintaned/so small on the map) in Wyoming and shaved a few years off my life. LOL. I'd track down a truck driver and get his/her opinion.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM

16 posts, read 71,041 times
OK. My friend told me I should ammend my response or provide a "disclaimer": I used to live in Montana and the roads never bothered me.
Even if it's snowing at least one lane of I-5 will be maintained. And yes, at times, it's best to stay off the roads but you won't know that until that day and check the weather forecast.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM

158 posts, read 405,550 times
Default What do you think about this route?

I am moving to Gig Harbor in early January myself. I'm leaving from northern Illinois and I'm planning to allow four days. My route will follow I-80 across Iowa, right through Des Moines, then across Nebraska, Wyoming and into Utah. I'll pick up I-84 north of Salt Lake City and take that highway all the way to Portland, OR. From Portland I'll go north on I-5 up to Tacoma.

I think this route avoids most of the high passes through the Rockies. Of course, we'll still have to keep track of the weather and watch out for those pesky high plains blizzards. (I used to live in Kansas).

My daughter will probably be driving along with me in her own car. She is planning to move to Olympia at the same time. My wife will follow us out when our house sells in the spring or early summer.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Having been a truckdriver in WY for 7 yrs during college (Many years ago...)... I'd stick to I-90, tho watch the weather. The winds on I-80 can be pretty wicked, and traffic seems heavier. I've had better luck doing the passes in MT and like the scenery better too. I've also been in some really ugly ground blizzards and ice in Utah, ID & OR on I-84. (Had to make many winter trips from PDX to NE & CO)

Watch the 10 & 14 day forecast, Climate Prediction Center - 8-14 Day Outlook
then decide. BUT .. realize the wind from Pine Bluffs, WY to Boise can be a formidable force, it is not uncommon to get 60-80 mph from Laramie to Rawlins and 40-50mph the rest of the way. When we moved from CO to WA we parked our LARGE rental Truck to use the restroom out west of Rawlins, and came out to find it blown across the icy parking lot, and sideways. We just got in and kept cruising.

for winter survival...
have a clean fuel filter installed, and use a 'fuel system de-icer' and buy gas from reputable places and ALWAYS fill tank before parking for the night (to reduce condensation)
new wiper blades, hoses and belts (especially if you drive something with 500,000 miles like me ...)

besides chains, and decent tires; carry extra clothes, food, water, and especially a few candles and matches (to keep you from freezing to death, be sure to crack a window!!) I like to have a 'space blanket' (reflective). One of those $50 CB radios would be nice too. I have a bicycle flag, so the plows will see the car if it gets drifted over, or slides into a ditch (which I never have, Knock on Wood).

I have done this route many times (I-80 and I-90) and have never got stranded, and usually not too delayed. I prefer to drive at night so not dealing with bozos, usually only professional drivers (trucks), and a few cars. You can get motels much cheaper for a few hrs during the day, but I have always driven straight through, catching catnaps when necessary.

I did the MSP to PDX run last Jan. when I bought one of my rare 52 mpg VW Passats 'on-line'. It snowed the entire way, and I didn't get stuck till I got to my driveway in WA (it was really wet and heavy snow there). I went 128 miles without seeing another car or truck in ND, that set a new record for me! The overpasses were drifted in, but if you hit them fast and in the left lane you could plow through. The passes in MT were well plowed and very little traffic. I flew out on a Friday morning and was home by 10 PM on Sat night with 1800 miles of snow behind me. The good thing was I only had to stop once for fuel !!!, the bad thing was the car was in pretty poor shape, bald tires, and no chains. But it was a nice challenge, and the prairie is beautiful on a snowy night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington