Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times

Advertisements

I don't care what it's about or what it supposedly does, the fact that Monsanto and Dow are so strongly opposed is reason enough for me to vote for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
....locally raised grass fed beef stands out from virtually all other industrial beef. .....
as a 50+ yr grower myself, I can't imagine you mean We_tside WA Grass fed beef ().. I certainly DOES stand OUT . (Ick). Hopefully you meant East Side (which is marginally better quality, VASTLY depending on the grower / husbandry)

I sure am glad coolers fly free on SWA.

I take WA Salmon to Colorado to trade # for # for real (tasty & Healthy) BEEF! (storm / harsh weather fed and conditioned )

YTMV

But, who knows what I ate tonight in Asia (affording Healthcare, due to unreasonable Gov control of HC (and GMOs and...) in my (ex) homeland).

Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM

115 posts, read 227,796 times
Exactly. Here in CA, Monsanto waited until just a couple weeks before voting to put out commercials making it seem as though the prop was poorly written and a waste of money. They are a chem company who created Agent Orange and Round-Up and then created seed that would withstand their sprays. Clarence Thomas was lawyer for them before he was put on the supreme court. Last Jan. Obama passed the Monsanto Protection Act....(which I believe got booted out) They control almost all the food seed in the U.S. As someone previously said, almost all of our food has genetically modified ingredients at this point. Without any long term studies...and no one in America voted to have our food genetically modified. It was done under our noses 13 or so years ago.

Oh...sadly I see you guys already voted it down yesterday.
Washington state voters reject labeling of GMO foods

How Congress Just Stuck It to Monsanto | The Nation

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,855 times
It looks like Initiative 522 will be defeated. I'm personally very disappointed. I want to know if the food I eat has been genetically modified.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
I hope they Do pass it'' people who care about what they put on their table to feed family n little ones sure want it''
as for those who don't care it's not like they cant still get their (chems ) trash food , it will still be there..

Be interesting to see where once again whole foods stands, Prob' run n hide like with the CA vote....

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
Damn. Looks like it failed. Oh well.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I voted against 522 because I think people have the resources to check their fod before eating already without govt help.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM

366 posts, read 596,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Do we not have any interest in knowing why? It's because there is some evidence of health risks, and a huge unknown on long term health risks.
What evidence is there of health risks? The overwhelming scientific consensus is that GM foods have no extra health risks above their non-GM equivalent.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I voted against 522 because I think people have the resources to check their fod before eating already without govt help.
Yes, and there are already resources. If you want to avoid GM foods, you can buy certified organic (and then pay 50%+ extra for food that has no health or taste advantages over non-organic food)

Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sounds like you fell hook line and sinker for their marketing campaign.

Labeling is a grass roots by the people movement!
Yeah, a "grass roots" movement involving millions of dollars of donations by out-of-state companies that profit off of fear, uncertainty, doubt, and sometimes outright fraud. The Yes vote is always quick to point out contributions by Monsanto, but they never mention Joseph Mercola on their side. Mercola is a quack who perpetuates false and sometimes dangerous beliefs like HIV/AIDS denalism, anti-vaccine hysteria and homeopathy. He's had numerous judgments against him by the FDA for marketing snake oil. However something tells me that many anti-GMO folks would see that as a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington