Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times

Advertisements

I have a condo in Capitol Hill (14th and Pine). It has been on the market since Labor Day. It has been shown several times but to date - no offers.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
I believe the original OP was asking who else out there is selling and if they are having trouble. In an effort to get back on topic. ------ There are a lot of people out there trying to sell and having trouble. The market is in a slump and there is a lot of inventory (choice for buyers). Doesn't mean your house won't sell, it just means it will likely take a lot longer to sell.

There are always things you can double-check to make sure you are doing everything in your power to get offers. These things don't change very much regardless of what the market is doing.
1. Make sure you are priced right.
2. Make sure you have an agent!!!! Make sure you specify full commission with your agent so that they have more incentive to sell your house, and the buyer's agent will be more likely to put your house on the list for potential buyers. Also make sure you are happy with your agent and that they are experienced and reputable. What are they doing to advertise your house, etc?
3. Do a pre-sale inspection and fix anything that is identified.
4. Make sure the house is in tip-top shape and de-cluttered.
5. Have prof. photographs taken to put on MLS, or make sure the ones your agent has up are great.
6. Make sure your house is available for people to see, open houses, showings, etc.

I hope this info helps. Its coming from someone who has been buying and selling houses for a long time now.

If you really want to get nit-picky and figure out why your house isn't selling. Ask some people you know to walk through and point out any flaws they perceive. Your agent may be reluctant to do this and it may be hurting you. It could be as simple as "there is a strange smell in the back bedroom", "that dying plant in the corner really put me off", "i hate that pink shower curtain", "what's up with the country looking dried flowers". Buyers can be fickle.....and they can afford to be in this market......so figure out what's putting them off and fix it.
Thanks for the tips. We have followed all of you advice already. We have done a pre-inspection yet. I'll look into that. I have already reviewed the inspection report that we got when we moved in and gone over everything that he looked for. Even had our chimney rebuilt :-)

From the little amount of traffic that we have recieved, the feedback has been mostly positive. People like the size of the house and land, they also like the updates that we have done. The negatives have been about acoustic ceilings.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Acoustic ceilings? ...popcorn type or acoustic tiles? Yeah, if popcorn, everybody including realty agents all told me that it's essential to get rid of them. They told me that it would be money well spent to have them removed.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,332 times
popcorn ceilings instantly make a house look dated. It is somewhat messy, but relatively inexpensive to have them scraped smooth. I think that would be a good idea.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM

I just have a listing agent - she did a great job with pics and getting my place listed via MLS but she is not actively trying to find a buyer. My place is in excellent shape because it is brand new - built in 2006.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I just have a listing agent - she did a great job with pics and getting my place listed via MLS but she is not actively trying to find a buyer. My place is in excellent shape because it is brand new - built in 2006.
Are there others similar to yours on the market in the same development? Do they have upgrades that you don't? With new houses, I think the best way to jazz them up is to replace the builder faucets with nicer ones in the kitchen/baths....go higher end with appliances, etc. You could probably find some things around your house that you could upgrade for little money that would give it that extra something special.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Sounds like a plan - I will look into that thanks!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM

209 posts, read 820,495 times
Default Seattle Prices Holding fine

Released Today:

The S&P/Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index dropped 1.7% from the second quarter and 4.5% from last year's third quarter, Standard & Poor's said Tuesday. The index covers all nine U.S. census divisions.

In September, all the metropolitan areas tracked by the 20-city composite index showed price declines from August. Just five areas -- Atlanta; Charlotte; Dallas; Portland, Ore.; and Seattle -- saw flat or positive growth on a year-over-year basis.
.................................................. ..............

SEATTLE SAW FLAT OR POSITIVE GROWTH ON A YEAR OVER YEAR BASIS.

Exactly what I have been saying, expect the FRENZY to return this Spring.

Good luck to all those Buyers sitting on the Fence, you will be paying more this Spring. My advice is to take advantage of this current lull in the Seattle market. Buy NOW.

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Good luck to all those Buyers sitting on the Fence, you will be paying more this Spring. My advice is to take advantage of this current lull in the Seattle market. Buy NOW.

Cheers!
I'm going to assert my unprofessional opinion on this matter

I don't think fence sitters will be paying that much more, if any more. Sales are down, there is no doubt about that. A friend of mine has a house for sale in Madrona, huge view of the lake, completely updated bungalow. He told me sales are down in that neighborhood 21%. It's been on the market for 3 months.

I don't think there's going to be a "frenzy" in Seattle anytime soon. At least, not like there was back in the late 80's/early 90's. There is a lot of inventory now, and will be even more in the spring. There are a lot of houses on the market even on Queen Anne, which is one of the most desirable city neighborhoods. And they ain't selling quick!

Good luck to all of you with something for sale. (and I don't mean that sarcastically) Hopefully it will sell quickly and at a good price for you!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Just curious Charles... why are you selling so quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington