Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times

Advertisements

We got an email about some signs along northbound I-5, 88 miles south of Seattle. We drove through there in early November but we were southbound, so we might not have seen them - - if they're really there. This email came from a friend who doesn't check out anything before she sends it. The email included this: "The federal government is now petitioning to have these signs removed, or Washington state will be denied additional monies for interstate highways."

So, what's the truth? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
We got an email about some signs along northbound I-5, 88 miles south of Seattle. We drove through there in early November but we were southbound, so we might not have seen them - - if they're really there. This email came from a friend who doesn't check out anything before she sends it. The email included this: "The federal government is now petitioning to have these signs removed, or Washington state will be denied additional monies for interstate highways."

A quick search on the net finds a whole bunch of blogs talking about it.

Here's the thing, I saw the photos and it looks like those signs are on that billboard that has been up forEVER. It is a person's PRIVATE property, and he has been putting out his political opinion for years. IF that is the same place I'm thinking of....been awhile since I lived in Seattle, but I believe it's just before Chehalis, then the Federal Government can't do squat, it's the guy's private property, his private sign, that's been in place for decades. Heck, I still remember when he had one about Clinton: "Walk softly, and carry a Big Mac".

lol

Edit: Still looking for an actual news article about it. Thus far, I only see bloggers. But, I did find that this very topic was discussed on CD last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-private.html

So it doesn't look like this is a true story. Shocking, I know.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It is a person's PRIVATE property, and he has been putting out his political opinion for years. IF that is the same place I'm thinking of....been awhile since I lived in Seattle, but I believe it's just before Chehalis, then the Federal Government can't do squat, it's the guy's private property, his private sign, that's been in place for decades.
This is correct, I knew the person. He didnt care, and I am proud of him, no matter what others believe politically, his land, his sign...dont like it...tough.

Last edited by JohnPaul; 11-20-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Who threatens him the lefttards or the gument? Or both.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Misspellings on the signs. Classic.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post

For future reference, whenever a story contains the following elements:

1) Federal government overstepping authority
2) Removing people's constitutional rights
3) An extreme right wing "victim" being persecuted

... then it's probably made up. If you haven't noticed, there's are whole segment of media dedicated to feeding people false information they want to believe because it fits with their views.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
For future reference, whenever a story contains the following elements:

1) Federal government overstepping authority
2) Removing people's constitutional rights
3) An extreme right wing "victim" being persecuted

... then it's probably made up. If you haven't noticed, there's are whole segment of media dedicated to feeding people false information they want to believe because it fits with their views.
Agreed and further, when someone is trying to enrage you, they are probably trying to get money in one form or another. For example, one might say there's a war on Christmas while selling a book.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
This is correct, I knew the person. He didnt care, and I am proud of him, no matter what others believe politically, his land, his sign...dont like it...tough.
Yep, but I am guessing there were no threats made, that it's completely bogus.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Misspellings on the signs. Classic.
Par for the course. lol

I live in Lewis County and the sign is full of misspelled words and bad grammar more often than not.

And, just for the record, "signs" in the title of the thread is a little misleading. It is just one billboard, right past the Rush Road exit (exit 72 or 73) on the east side of the freeway next to the northbound lanes.

While I never agree with the dude (never have, never will), his property, his sign, and unless he uses it to advocate for violence against the president, he has the right to say what he wants.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM

489 posts, read 964,654 times
The signs usually crack me up.

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington