Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 01:16 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,025 times

Advertisements

Moved recently to the Puget Sound area and trying to figure out exactly where to permanently settle. If I can swing it, I've thought about a place close to Seattle (maybe Edmonds/Lynnwood) or northern Seattle and a second place on the islands, Whatcom, or even British Columbia. What are the rules for an American who buys property in British Columbia? How many months a year are you allow to stay there? Does it make a difference if it's a primary or secondary home? What issues may arise? Advantages/disadvantages?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 04:37 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,672 times
I always thought it's roughly 6 months or what's stamped in your passport and should be no problem if you own property on both sides, have dual citizenship or green card, set no red flags off with border patrol, know how you're paying your taxes. That's just my impression. Covid became an exception due to travel restrictions etc. So if anything it's become more lenient if you had to overstay.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Check with Canada.

Years ago, there were restrictions on Americans buying property in Canada.

Not sure of current status, but Canadians can buy in the US. But fair play has never been a consideration by foreign governments when it comes to USA.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Check with Canada.

Years ago, there were restrictions on Americans buying property in Canada.

Not sure of current status, but Canadians can buy in the US. But fair play has never been a consideration by foreign governments when it comes to USA.
Do you have proof of this?

Never have I heard that Canada had restrictions on Americans buying property in Canada, probably because it isn't true.

Do you realize how many Americans own second homes in Canada?

Old 06-27-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Do you have proof of this?

Never have I heard that Canada had restrictions on Americans buying property in Canada, probably because it isn't true.

Do you realize how many Americans own second homes in Canada?

It was 1974.

A National Park Service employee at Sequoia National Park was trying to buy property in British Columbia. He was running into all sorts of issues trying to buy the property due to being an American.

In any case, the company I worked for had a contract with NPS and he was the contracting officer.

It was interesting since I JUST moved back down from Canada, but I had immigrant status in Canada. Never heard of the issue while living in Canada, but then I had legal status and could buy property.

My advice, is check everything before you sign on the dotted line. Particularly, when dealing with foreign countries.

This was interesting reading.....for BC: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...tax-ban-survey

BTW....don't try moving to Baniff

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...dent-residency

Canada is a foreign country. They do things differently up there.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It was 1974.

A National Park Service employee at Sequoia National Park was trying to buy property in British Columbia. He was running into all sorts of issues trying to buy the property due to being an American.

In any case, the company I worked for had a contract with NPS and he was the contracting officer.

It was interesting since I JUST moved back down from Canada, but I had immigrant status in Canada. Never heard of the issue while living in Canada, but then I had legal status and could buy property.

My advice, is check everything before you sign on the dotted line. Particularly, when dealing with foreign countries.

This was interesting reading.....for BC: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...tax-ban-survey

BTW....don't try moving to Baniff

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...dent-residency

Canada is a foreign country. They do things differently up there.
Anecdotes are not proof.

There is no regulation or law that has prevented foreigners from buying land in Canada, especially one that singles out Americans.

Your first links is not proof. It'a a poll and reflects a reaction to off-shore buyers pushing up the price of real estate in Vancouver ONLY.

It's not a law, and that sentiment didn't exist in 1974 that's for sure and probably will never become law and certainly not a national law.

Your second link is about a National Park. I can't even buy a house in Banff UNLESS I plan to resided there full time. They are trying to prevent sky rocketing land costs, for those who actually contribute to that community.
National Parks are a different beast and hardly prove your point. The whole point of National Parks is to protect the land, so excuse Parks Canada from trying to stop Banff from becoming an overgrown suburb.

Unless you can give me a link that unequivocally states that Canada has regulations or laws to ban Americans your post is simply nonsense.

It is also nonsense to the thousands of Americans who own second homes in Canada. Pretty sure they are scratching their heads at your post.

I also suggest you look up the history of American investment in Canada and see how many US companies have bought land here as well.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:24 AM

An American in Canada is a foreigner!!!

Canada has laws limiting land ownership for foreigner's which includes AMERICANS!!!

I did go back and check my records. He was trying to buy crown lands in BC, which is prohibited since he was a FOREIGNER (also includes the subset AMERICAN).

Here is the law in Alberta...it includes some recreational land.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

The title says farmland, but it includes recreational lands regulations.

https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebs...tions/2014101E

Here is a important quote from the publication:

In any case, the federal government settled the matter in 1977 by delegating this power to the provinces. Thus, section 35 of the Citizenship Act30 allows the provinces to pass regulations to prohibit or restrict "the taking or acquisition directly or indirectly of … any interest in real property located in the province by persons who are not citizens or by corporations or associations that are effectively controlled by persons who are not citizens." 31

There are also huge tax consequences for foreigners that sell land in Canada. Plenty of references on those, just do a search.

I have a friend that bought some beachfront in Mexico. He owned for a few years until a local politician wanted it, and suddenly it was no longer his. Owning land in a foreign country, particularly, those that have a anti-foreigner bias in their courts and political system is an iffy thing.

Yeah, I would rather own land in Canada than Mexico. But I would be VERY CAREFUL about buying land in Canada, and do due diligence before making a purchase offer.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
An American in Canada is a foreigner!!!

Canada has laws limiting land ownership for foreigner's which includes AMERICANS!!!

I did go back and check my records. He was trying to buy crown lands in BC, which is prohibited since he was a FOREIGNER (also includes the subset AMERICAN).

Here is the law in Alberta...it includes some recreational land.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

The title says farmland, but it includes recreational lands regulations.

https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebs...tions/2014101E

Here is a important quote from the publication:

In any case, the federal government settled the matter in 1977 by delegating this power to the provinces. Thus, section 35 of the Citizenship Act30 allows the provinces to pass regulations to prohibit or restrict "the taking or acquisition directly or indirectly of … any interest in real property located in the province by persons who are not citizens or by corporations or associations that are effectively controlled by persons who are not citizens." 31

There are also huge tax consequences for foreigners that sell land in Canada. Plenty of references on those, just do a search.

I have a friend that bought some beachfront in Mexico. He owned for a few years until a local politician wanted it, and suddenly it was no longer his. Owning land in a foreign country, particularly, those that have a anti-foreigner bias in their courts and political system is an iffy thing.

Yeah, I would rather own land in Canada than Mexico. But I would be VERY CAREFUL about buying land in Canada, and do due diligence before making a purchase offer.
I think you are being obtuse.

The title of the thread is about buying a second home in BC. There are no restrictions on foreigners buying a second home.

So you pull out a restriction on non-residents, which would include me a Canadian, from being able to buy land in Banff National Park in Alberta...not even in BC.

You kept harping on about Americans being restricted as if they were singled out, they aren't.

You now post links about farmland and try to put recreational land into the mix WHICH IT IS NOT and are saying it's unique to Canada.

You also apparently didn't even read your own link. Your first link is all about the amount of farmland that is owned by foreigners and how " land grabbing " of farmland, especially from China is a concern. It then list each provinces rules on foreign ownership. In BC which is what we are talking about it states

"In British Columbia, ownership of farmland by foreigners or corporations is not strictly prohibited or limited. However, the Land Act55 stipulates that the sale of Crown land by the provincial government is reserved for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada56 and for corporations or associations incorporated or registered in the province"

Your own link disproves your point. As long as it is not Crown Land, there isn't any restrictions on foreigners buying farmland in BC.

Wake up man.Some US states also have restrictions on foreigners as well. Heck even YOU can't buy farmland in Hawaii unless you are a resident for 3 years, which I know you are not.

https://investigatemidwest.org/2017/...ate-breakdown/

Your posts are all over the place...and your point seems to keep changing the more research you do. First it's just a property, which would lead someone to believe you are referring to the title of the thread...someone buying a second home.

You then go off on a tangent about farmland and recreational land which your are incorrect about since foreigners in BC can buy that land.
You then, obviously, come upon a link that prohibits foreigners from buying Crown Land, and PRESTO, your story is now about someone trying to buy Crown Land.

If you actually KNEW what you were talking about, your first post would have stated simply, that yes, an American CAN buy a second home, it is just that there are restrictions on Crown Land, which is owned by the people of Canada, and Canada wants to keep those lands kept in the hands of Canadians.

You really should address this underlying contempt you express towards Canada in your posts.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-10-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-10-2021, 12:03 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Moved recently to the Puget Sound area and trying to figure out exactly where to permanently settle. If I can swing it, I've thought about a place close to Seattle (maybe Edmonds/Lynnwood) or northern Seattle and a second place on the islands, Whatcom, or even British Columbia. What are the rules for an American who buys property in British Columbia? How many months a year are you allow to stay there? Does it make a difference if it's a primary or secondary home? What issues may arise? Advantages/disadvantages?
Probably not the best forum to ask these questions.

The only glaring disadvantage would be the border closing. As far as I know Americans haven't been allowed to go to Canada in over a year for non-essential travel but I'm not sure if checking on a property counts as essential travel.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
When you pass away the property goes to Canada not your heirs unless they are Canadian Citizens. I looked into this some time ago and decided not to purchase based upon that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington