Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times

Advertisements

For awhile I've wondered why movies just aren't filmed here. Beautiful locations that rival that of New Zealand, Jagged mountains, untouched coastline, Snow capped peaks, Temperate rain forests. What makes Washington an unattractive location for movies in the genre of fantasy, Action, and thrillers? I could definitely picture of movie like the hobbit film in the Olympics and North Cascades. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Red tape. The state, and various cities (especially Seattle) have too many regulations and fees, so the producers go to Vancouver, BC with similar geography to do their filming of movies even when set in Seattle.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,330 times
There is no movie industry in Washington state. By that I mean all the individuals and small companies that make movies and TV productions. The same could be said for Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. When Hollywood wants to film here they simply go to the Vancouver area and bring some Washington or Oregon license plates and slap them on the cars. Sometimes they get lazy and just make a rainy scene in Southern California. One I saw recently looked dark and dreary and it was supposed to be in Seattle along the waterfront but I noticed a Palm Tree in the background. The 70's had a lot of movies filmed around Seattle like Cinderella Liberty and Night Stalker. The early 90's had the last big hits Singles and Sleepless in Seattle.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
Vancouver also developed the infrastructure needed for filming TV shows and movies. There is studio space available and all of the support businesses and crew that you need to make something. It's losing a little of its advantage now that the Canadian dollar is worth about the same as a US dollar. That's one reason you're starting to see more shows filmed in Portland, like Grimm and Leverage.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
There is no movie industry in Washington state. By that I mean all the individuals and small companies that make movies and TV productions. The same could be said for Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. When Hollywood wants to film here they simply go to the Vancouver area and bring some Washington or Oregon license plates and slap them on the cars. Sometimes they get lazy and just make a rainy scene in Southern California. One I saw recently looked dark and dreary and it was supposed to be in Seattle along the waterfront but I noticed a Palm Tree in the background. The 70's had a lot of movies filmed around Seattle like Cinderella Liberty and Night Stalker. The early 90's had the last big hits Singles and Sleepless in Seattle.
Here is the problem, I consistently hear Hollywood producers would like to film here but dont. I dont know why the state doesn't try to establish a film industry. Create studio space in the Eastside, Get approval for filming locations deep in the mountains and small towns, create more benefits for filming in Seattle. It brings money into the region and tourism. Of course we don't need to be Vancouver but I would like to see some big movies filmed in the area.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:41 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
The state did try, but Vancouver was cheaper at the time. And thanks to the people who focus solely on tax cuts over spending that spurs business growth the state film office is pretty much dead and isn't coming back any time soon.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Agreed. Has anyone seen the "Red Dawn" remake? Terrible movie, but it was supposed to have been set in Spokane - the "Spokane Police" patches on the Sheriff's uniform is the only reference to anything about Spokane. No landmarks, no references to local businesses or schools. Even the forests that the kids were hiding-out in were all broadleaf trees - which don't exist around here.

Anyway, the point is that this state's red tape is so horrible, Hollywood won't even bother to come here when they are supposed to be making a movie from here.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...hington_(state)

Home | Washington Filmworks

Looks more like a case of a whole lot of boring movies are being produced there.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 PM

268 posts, read 366,395 times
It would be interesting to write to your state legislators (and Governor) and ask them your question.

"Why were the `vampire films' shot in Oregon?

"Why is `McQ' the only film which I can think of which was set in Washington, and then was actually filmed there?"

Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Other problem is a lack of facilities and services catered towards the film industry. There needs to be companies that can rent or repair high end video and sound production equipment. There needs to be a work force to fill in the film's production positions. The primaries will all come from Hollywood, but they usually hire everyone else locally.

For places like the Olympic Peninsula there also needs to be support services in the way of hotels, food, gas, groceries and basic supplies. These can't be 60+ minute drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington