Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 86,590 times

Advertisements

Hi all - have been reading many of the other threads here on Bellingham and the surrounding areas but many are a couple years old so I wanted to ask for some advice on Bellingham neighborhoods.

We are currently a family of three - 2 adults in our early 40s and a son who is soon to be 12. We live in FL right now but are originally from the Northeast (NY/NJ). We have been planning a move to WA this coming June and after looking at several places we decided on Bellingham versus Seattle/areas immediately surrounding Seattle since we are looking for something a little slower paced and also closer to Canada were we have some family.

We run a small business from home so jobs are not an issue. We own a home here in FL but will be renting it out when we leave. We will be renting initially before planting more permanent roots. We need a minimum of 3-4 bedrooms. I am looking to spend something in the $1200-$1500 range for rent per month which based on what I have seen in online listings, seems feasible.

Things that are important to us: good middle/high school, quiet, low crime neighborhood, reasonably close to a grocery store. It would be nice to have close-by access to a bike/jogging trail or a green space if possible, but the first two items are the most important criteria.

I took a trip up to Bellingham during the first week of December and spent about 3 days driving around and getting the lay of the land etc. I also checked out some other areas like Birch Bay, Mt Vernon, Burlington, Ferndale etc but really liked the vibe and the offerings in Bellingham the best out of all of them. Of the B'ham neighborhoods I saw, I liked the areas around Lakeway Drive/Whatcom Falls park, the area surrounding Barkley Village (these seemed kind of close to each other...?) and Fairhaven the best as far as what the neighborhoods "looked like" but it's kind of hard to tell what they are REALLY like so that's why I'm here to ask:

1. How are these areas mentioned above as far as schools? Any hope of finding a rental home in my budget of $1500 or less? Are they pretty decent 'hoods or did they just present well to an outsider?

2. What would be some other neighborhoods that I should consider in my search that might meet my criteria? I'm open to any and all suggestions since 3 days was really not enough time in my opinion to really, REALLY get to know a place.

3. Any areas to absolutely avoid?

4. How about Sudden Valley? I've heard some good things about it but that wasn't an area I saw first hand. Or how about the Mt. Baker neighborhood? Didn't really see that one either...or if I did, I didn't realize that's where I was LOL.

Any and all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. June is going to be here before I know it and this is a big move for my family, so any information on where to concentrate my search will be VERY helpful to me.

Thanks in advance!

PS: We have already been warned about the Western WA weather and frankly it's not a big deal for us since rain is daily occurrence in FL during certain months of the year. I have no problem trading that for oppressive heat pretty much all year, torrential downpours every single day from May - early September, and a flat, boring landscape. Let's not even talk about the creepy flying cockroaches we have in FL which will be one of the things I will NOT miss at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,868 times
I am also hoping to move to that area from Florida. I am so tired of the heat here! And the flatness, and the bugs. And the tourists. And the crime...

Anyway, did you check out the area around the Chuckanut Drive south of Bellingham? Also, you might find cheaper housing or get more for your money, if you were willing to drive to Skagit County.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I am also hoping to move to that area from Florida. I am so tired of the heat here! And the flatness, and the bugs. And the tourists. And the crime... .
Exactly!! Agree with all of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Anyway, did you check out the area around the Chuckanut Drive south of Bellingham? Also, you might find cheaper housing or get more for your money, if you were willing to drive to Skagit County.
I did - yes. While visiting I actually stayed in Burlington right next to I-5 so when driving between there and Bellingham I took Chuckanut Drive up so I could go the scenic route. Definitely worth the drive...so pretty!! Took me a while the first time because I kept stopping to take in the views...it was nothing but blue skies for those few days I was there even though it was really cold and horribly windy the one day. I didn't mind though - it was a nice break from sweating for me

On my last day there I checked out Burlington a little beyond just where my hotel was and also Mt Vernon. I didn't see a whole lot of housing in Burlington actually...just a bunch of shopping, but I might not have really known where to look. Mt Vernon was OK from what I saw - I wouldn't mind considering it but I think I would prefer to stay a little closer to Bellingham itself if not in it. My budget is somewhat flexible - I could and would pay a little more if I found the "perfect" house.

Just need to figure out now which area of Bellingham I want to focus on to find a place. I've read though all the threads I could find here and many of them were older so that's why I started a new one hoping I'll get some input.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
You might want to look at the Sunny Land neighborhood or the more Northern portion of the Lettered Streets. They're in the middle of town and near both a middle and high school. Not sure if you'll be able to find anything there within your budget, though.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
You might want to look at the Sunny Land neighborhood or the more Northern portion of the Lettered Streets. They're in the middle of town and near both a middle and high school. Not sure if you'll be able to find anything there within your budget, though.
That's where my son and his wife life. northern portion of the Lettered Streets neighborhood. It's nice, and there's a lot to walk to within a few minutes.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Is this the area that's close to Bellingham High School by chance?

I'm willing to go above a $1500/mo budget for rent if I need to if it means we end up in a really great area. But honestly in looking at the prices of rentals throughout the area, that's about what they are running for the size place I need...actually, most 3 bedrooms I have seen have been less than that. (I need a minimum 3 bedroom but if I found a 4 that would be OK too)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm267 View Post
Is this the area that's close to Bellingham High School by chance?

I'm willing to go above a $1500/mo budget for rent if I need to if it means we end up in a really great area. But honestly in looking at the prices of rentals throughout the area, that's about what they are running for the size place I need...actually, most 3 bedrooms I have seen have been less than that. (I need a minimum 3 bedroom but if I found a 4 that would be OK too)
Yep, that's the one. I'm actually impressed that you've managed to find three bedroom houses within your budget. I just assumed they'd be more!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. I'm actually impressed that you've managed to find three bedroom houses within your budget. I just assumed they'd be more!
Ah ok - I did look around there a bit but not too much - it was the last place I looked before heading out. I'll have to look into it further.

I was actually surprised on the prices as well - I expected it to be a bit more. But it was a pleasant surprise, to say the least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington