Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,816 times

Advertisements

I am looking for small towns in Washington. I currently live in Port Townsend and really like it here, besides it is a bit expensive and I miss the snow in the winter. Here is what I am looking for,

1. A town between 5,000-30,000 people
2. Access to good food, farmers market, book stores, independent stores, college, arts, movies - all a huge plus but not necessary
3. Maybe some sort of 30s age crowd if at all possible though this one may be hard
4. Central walkable downtown - even if very small (ideally maybe a coffee shop and/or local brewery)
5. An airport, or larger city, not too much more than an hour away, maybe two at most
6. Employment is not an issue, but cost of living is a big one. Ideally some place with affordable land/houses (ideally something under 150,000 for a house - even a fixer upper)
7. Access to lots of outdoor activities - close to mountains. This is huge!
8. Don't mind the rain - love it in fact, but I looking for a real winter with snow that stays on the ground a bit
9. Somewhere pretty!

I have lived in places like Flagstaff, AZ Missoula, MT and Rapid City SD - all nice but a bit big. I love the Pacific Northwest and think it is time to head back to the mountains. I know these criteria are asking for a lot, but they are just ideals and I know I might not find everything. Any suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Walla Walla, Moscow,Idaho and Wenatchee make the list in that order.

They all fall down on price of housing. I suspect all are in the same neighborhood as Port Townsend. Walla Walla has the nicest downtown, Moscow has the younger crowd, and Wenatchee has cheap utilities plus fiber connectivity and the best access to the outdoors (if you don't mind crowds in the outdoors).

If price of housing is important I would look at Lewiston-Clarkston. Your airport is farther away in Spokane or Tri-Cities as is the larger community. It is a very walkable community and housing is reasonable. Live in Clarkston and you avoid expensive Idaho taxes.

Both Walla Walla and Lewiston have some snow, but not enough to make you sick of it. Wenatchee can have snowy winters. Moscow is almost a given for snow.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM

23 posts, read 44,279 times
kalispell/whitefish montana
sandpoint idaho
twisp washington? (small but good health food co-op)

Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz124 View Post
I am looking for small towns in Washington. I currently live in Port Townsend and really like it here, besides it is a bit expensive and I miss the snow in the winter. Here is what I am looking for,

1. A town between 5,000-30,000 people
2. Access to good food, farmers market, book stores, independent stores, college, arts, movies - all a huge plus but not necessary
3. Maybe some sort of 30s age crowd if at all possible though this one may be hard
4. Central walkable downtown - even if very small (ideally maybe a coffee shop and/or local brewery)
5. An airport, or larger city, not too much more than an hour away, maybe two at most
6. Employment is not an issue, but cost of living is a big one. Ideally some place with affordable land/houses (ideally something under 150,000 for a house - even a fixer upper)
7. Access to lots of outdoor activities - close to mountains. This is huge!
8. Don't mind the rain - love it in fact, but I looking for a real winter with snow that stays on the ground a bit
9. Somewhere pretty!

I have lived in places like Flagstaff, AZ Missoula, MT and Rapid City SD - all nice but a bit big. I love the Pacific Northwest and think it is time to head back to the mountains. I know these criteria are asking for a lot, but they are just ideals and I know I might not find everything. Any suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks!
Realistically, it sounds like it's going to very difficult to fit all those criteria. It sounds like you want a small, liberal, artsy-type town with low cost-of-living, and as far as I know, those don't exist. Places that have been mentioned like Walla Walla or Twisp seem to fit well, but have fairly-high to very-high costs-of-living relative to other similar-sized towns in the state.

Other options would be Lewiston or maybe Colville, but those don't fit the "30's age crowd" or the artsy, book store-type vibe that you sound like you are looking for.

Wenatchee is probably way too big, by your criteria, but might fit otherwise.

Maybe Ellensburg? Still fairly conservative, but not extremely expensive and along with the college comes the lower average age and more "trendy" type businesses. And Yakima is close enough for the airport requirement, but not close enough that the crime spills over to Ellensburg.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM

62 posts, read 218,529 times
Colville?? just under 5000..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
How about La Grande OR? Larger and probably more expensive, but it is a liberalish mountain college town.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 PM

178 posts, read 419,371 times
Hey, these might be some good options for ya!
Waterville(Sleepy town, but nice N rural)
Chelan/Manson(Awesome year round, great downtown,Wenatchee is super close.)
Winthrop(amazing snow, downtown is good as well.)
Tri-cities(Right by the mighty Columbia!)
Okanogan/Omak(Natural beauty, downtowns are excellent, and although fairly remote, spokane is still closer than not.)
Cashmere/Leavenworth(apples, alpine, Oktoberfest, and awesome!)
And maybe Walla Walla would work for you, too, especially if you love the Palouse area and wine
Sources for these : personal experience
Hope this helps!!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM

38 posts, read 58,497 times
Look into Moses Lake, Pasco/Kennewick/Richland, or Othello, WA ---

Old 03-09-2014, 03:37 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Have you checked out Cle Elum or Ellensburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington