U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM

32 posts, read 45,322 times

Advertisements

Hey Washingtonians.. I hope that is right...

My brother-in-law is in the Coast Guard and has been re-located to the lovely town of Port Townsend. He is my hunting & fishing buddy. The wife and I have 3 kids in college and a 10 yo at home. That being said, we are considering leaving our area and re-locating to the peninsula to be within 1-2 hours of my bro-in-law. My wife is self employed in technology and I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran. Wife is considering getting a simple paying job to just fill her time. I just want to be able to continue being with my son in baseball and hunt/fish.. We are not retired, we are in our early 40's and enjoy life very much still.

We would really appreciate some helpful insights on what places to look at for living meeting the following conditions.. Any and all help is appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

1. 1-2 hours from port townsend.
2. Hunting & Fishing within 1-2 hours.
3. VA Hospital within 1-2 hours.
4. Airport within 1-2 hours.
5. Would love a population below 10K, but willing to go up to 20K.

Again thanks for everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM

703 posts, read 1,121,679 times
There are no VA hospitals on the Olympic Peninsula. Here is a list of the Washington State VA hospitals and the clinics:

List of Veterans Affairs medical facilities by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tacoma is only about 1 1/2 hours from Port Townsend, taking two bridges, including one toll bridge, but no ferries. If you timed the ferry just right, it's about 2 hours to Seattle from Port Townsend.

So, if access to the VA hospitals is a high priority and you definitely want to live on the Olympic Peninsula, I would suggest sticking with Port Townsend or one of the rural areas south of Port Townsend like Chimacum (pretty area). Same thing with airports of any size.

If you wanted to get a little closer and have access to more shopping and other amenities, you could pick a spot on the Kitsap Peninsula... this would put you about halfway between your family and hospitals/airports. However, it's way more crowded than Port Townsend or the areas south of there (in Jefferson County).

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

334 posts, read 526,827 times
Maybe try Whidbey Island, and go to the VA in Mount Vernon CBOC and from there you could be transferred to the hospital if needed?

From someone who lived in Georgetown and then on Whidbey - be ready to be chilly and have little sun, but on thel upside, no steamy muggy feeling half the year, either.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,549,286 times
Almost anything in the Puget Sound region is within 1-2 of Port Townsend. So really, anything as far north as Mount Vernon to as far south as Olympia. Pick your choice.

I would look at Snohomish, Washington. Small town, under 10k, historic, neat downtown. Great ball fields, nature, mountains nearby, and you got all the shopping amenities needed in town, and in nearby Everett and Marysville. Affordable housing, good land. Snohomish County might be a good fit for you guys. Also quick ferry access to Port Townsend from the Mukilteo Ferry then the Coupeville ferry, or the Edmonds ferry.

I go to Port Townsend several times a year, so I deal with it often. I take ferries even more.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Maybe try Whidbey Island, and go to the VA in Mount Vernon CBOC and from there you could be transferred to the hospital if needed?

From someone who lived in Georgetown and then on Whidbey - be ready to be chilly and have little sun, but on thel upside, no steamy muggy feeling half the year, either.
See that is what I am talking about.. You can always put clothes on, you just cant seem to take off enough in this heat!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,466,490 times
If 2 hour drive isn't a big deal, I'd look from Sequim through Chimacum to Port Townsend. Sea-Tac Airport is 2 hours from Sequim. Tacoma is 100 minutes away.

If you want to split the difference between Pt. Townsend & the VA, airport, look into places like Belfair & Allyn. Plenty of hunting, fishing, crabbing, and clamming in the area.

Sequim is the sunniest place in Western Washington, if weather is of concern.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,466,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post

I would look at Snohomish, Washington. Small town, under 10k,
...within the city limits. Snohomish is right at the edge of a 3,000,000+ person urban epicenter.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM

293 posts, read 442,184 times
Some recommendations (in order of closest to Port Townsend, then furthest out):

East Jefferson -- Port Ludlow, Chimacum, Port Hadlock
North Kitsap -- Poulsbo, Kingston, Hansville, Suquamish, Indianola, Keyport
Central Kitsap -- Brownsville, Illahee, Seabeck
South Kitsap -- Colby, Manchester, Colchester, Ollala, Burley
Key Peninsula -- Purdy, Gig Harbor, maybe even Union

The advantage to the above suggestions: no ferries to cross to get to Port Townsend. Ferry passage is expensive and on weekends during the summer you might have a 1- to 2-boat wait. The Kitsap Peninsula is attached to the Olympic Peninsula via the Hood Canal Bridge, and it is not tolled (as of April 2014). As an example, the drive from my house in North Kitsap to Port Townsend is about 35-40 minutes.

All of the above meet all five of your criteria listed.

All are within 45 minutes of the Bremerton CBOC and within 2 hours of both Seattle and Tacoma VA hospitals. Travel to Seattle VA would require ferry passage. Travel to Tacoma VA requires crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which is tolled.

Given that you have a 10-year-old, I'm thinking that good schools are part of your wish list, too. IMO, the better schools are in North and Central Kitsap School Districts.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM

703 posts, read 1,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
Some recommendations (in order of closest to Port Townsend, then furthest out):

East Jefferson -- Port Ludlow, Chimacum, Port Hadlock
North Kitsap -- Poulsbo, Kingston, Hansville, Suquamish, Indianola, Keyport
Central Kitsap -- Brownsville, Illahee, Seabeck
South Kitsap -- Colby, Manchester, Colchester, Ollala, Burley
Key Peninsula -- Purdy, Gig Harbor, maybe even Union

The advantage to the above suggestions: no ferries to cross to get to Port Townsend. Ferry passage is expensive and on weekends during the summer you might have a 1- to 2-boat wait. The Kitsap Peninsula is attached to the Olympic Peninsula via the Hood Canal Bridge, and it is not tolled (as of April 2014). As an example, the drive from my house in North Kitsap to Port Townsend is about 35-40 minutes.

All of the above meet all five of your criteria listed.

All are within 45 minutes of the Bremerton CBOC and within 2 hours of both Seattle and Tacoma VA hospitals. Travel to Seattle VA would require ferry passage. Travel to Tacoma VA requires crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which is tolled.

Given that you have a 10-year-old, I'm thinking that good schools are part of your wish list, too. IMO, the better schools are in North and Central Kitsap School Districts.
I agree about the ferries. I've done it when time is no matter and it is loads of fun, a mini cruise with dolphins and birds, sunsets over the water, etc. However, I've also done it when time was critical and that's no fun at all!!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Everyone is so quick in telling me about the weather, rain, gloom... I was born and raised on the Texas Gulf Coast south of Houston, and my wife is from the SF/SJ bay area in California. Having said that, she is used to the colder climate and I am used to the rains. When I look at the weather comparisons Houston area gets more annual rain than the pennisula? Am I missing something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington