Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,325 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information on the more affordable, better towns in Washington and Oregon to move to. I am in Eastern OR and am not digging the environment, want to be back along the Northwest. Have growing kids from toddler to teens, horses and looking for a place to settle. Information please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
What about your environment don 't you like? My sister keeps a horse in the Seattle area and she tells me that foot problems are common because of the continuous dampness.

If you are wanting access to more culture, I suggest the central/eastern part of the Columbia Gorge.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Hockinson, WA great schools, lots of horses, and close enough to Vancouver use Running Start for HS age.

Camas also good bu both are kinda spendy, but affordable places exist.

I like my West Columbia Gorge WA location (East end of Washougal district), and there are some terrific horse properties adjoining National protected lands. and only 20 minutes to PDX or Clark College.
Belle Center, Mt Pleasant, Strunk, and Marble Rd 98671. This was the horse deal of the decade. (2 covered Areas within 1/4 mile). 291 Mt Pleasant Rd, Washougal, WA 98671 - Zillow

If you can deal with the rain in SW WA, Portland is very close. I like having 20+ colleges to chose for free cultural events. and a CHEAP ez airport for sun escapes (San Diego direct for $19!)

And yes... hoof issues need to be cared for in soggy climate, and horses can really tear up the terrain. Do not over graze! even tho grass is plentiful.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,268,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani3071 View Post
I am looking for information on the more affordable, better towns in Washington and Oregon to move to. I am in Eastern OR and am not digging the environment, want to be back along the Northwest. Have growing kids from toddler to teens, horses and looking for a place to settle. Information please
As far as the "moving to the Northwest" comment, I'm not sure what you mean, since I'm fairly certain that Eastern OR still counts as the Pacific NW. Idaho generally counts as the Pacific Northwest and that state's borders are further Southeast than Eastern Oregon.

If your definition of the "Northwest" is Western WA, then the highest concentrations of horses are in the Vancouver area and the Monroe area.

And, like Stealthrabbit said, anywhere in Western WA's dampness and mud will predispose horses to seedy toe, sole abscesses, rainrot, scratches, etc.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
And, like Stealthrabbit said, anywhere in Western WA's dampness and mud will predispose horses to seedy toe, sole abscesses, rainrot, scratches, etc.
. . . although plenty of horses, like mine, have none of these problems. Shelter, good drainage, a thick layer of wood chips or gravel in the paddock, plus the freedom to move around rather than be fully stalled, and they will be fine. Are you planning to buy/rent horse property, or will you be boarding your horses?

Will your kids be in school? Do you need to find work? Do you care about being close to a city? An airport? Other people who ride in a particular discipline? Pony Club and 4H? Other activities for the kids?

The "affordable" part can be found by looking at some real estate websites. Just pick an area and do a search for what you're looking for. Maybe spend a week browsing properties in the three top counties (Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish), then a week looking below Seattle. That should give you an idea of prices.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Check out my Post to your OR question...
If I had kids nearing HS age... choose WA hands down for Running Start (free College instead of High School).

Get a home within commute of a College or U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington