Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are considering retiring from SE Wisconsin to Sequim in five-seven years. I've done a lot of research...including reading many threads on this forum and thanks to all who posted cause that's a huge help!...and we like so many things about Sequim that we are planning a summer trip either this year or the next to discover if we really like it. I visited family on Bainbridge Island last April and fell in love with the PNW. But can't do all that rain so Sequim seems to fit the bill. We realize it is not as sunny as some claim and are fine with dryish temperate overcast minimal snow winters...yay! But I have some questions that I was unable to find answers to and am hoping they will be easy to answer.

1. Considering the Dungeness Water Rule...how do you keep your lawns green in summer if you can't water? We would be looking for a 1/2 to 1 acre lot so wouldn't have much to water but I've read that some areas specifically prohibit outside watering.
2. Does moss grow on rooftops and other stuff everywhere or just in shady, wooded areas?
3. Minor tremors don't scare us...we live with tornadoes and straight line winds...but do those tremors cause problems with cracking mortar, etc. on stone/brick homes?
4. Is air conditioning really needed and is a home without air at a disadvantage when on the market?
5. Easements!? I see so many lots with easement access as opposed to street access. How does this work? Do you drive over their lawn to get to your house? Can you install your own paved driveway on that easement? Are easements well understood and complied with or do they cause problems?
6. Is it better to be on a shared community well or city water or private well? Water appears to be a major issue in the Sequim area. We prefer well water but feel dangerously underinformed on what seems like a very complicated subject.
7. Is water quality (city or private/community well) an issue? Do some properties require iron filters?
8. Does most land in the Sequim area perc conventional? I realize each property is an individual case but I am looking for the general feel of the area.
9. Is the city of Sequim actively expanding city water/sewer such that we should be careful to avoid buying property and drilling a well/installing septic only to be slapped with a huge assessment in a few years for city water/sewer?
10. And what about Carlsborg? Comparable to Sequim? Pros and cons?
11. Do properties close to the Dungeness River flood in spring?
12. Any area specific advice/tips on what to be on the lookout for when buying land to build a retirement home in the Sequim area? Not general advice/tips...just issues specific to the Sequim area.
13. Can you kayak Sequim Bay in a recreational kayak or do you need a sea kayak? Can you safely paddle the Dungeness River in the dry season in a recreational kayak? If not are there smaller rivers in the area to paddle?
14. Is the city of Sequim dog friendly?
15. Are privacy fences considered the norm or do they disappoint the neighbors? What type of fence is considered most desirable and least likely to offend neighbors?
16. Is it cooler and foggy near the Strait? Warmer and sunnier in the Sequim city limits? Where should we look for land to reside in the warmest micro climate?
17. How far should we stay away from 101 to keep highway noise to a tolerable minimum?

If you've read this far then I am most appreciative. <G> And if you are inclined to answer then mondo thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
POST THIS IN THE GENERAL WASHINGTON FORUM THIS IS A SEATTLE FORUM??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Hello! We are considering retiring from SE Wisconsin to Sequim in five-seven years. I've done a lot of research...including reading many threads on this forum and thanks to all who posted cause that's a huge help!...and we like so many things about Sequim that we are planning a summer trip either this year or the next to discover if we really like it. I visited family on Bainbridge Island last April and fell in love with the PNW. But can't do all that rain so Sequim seems to fit the bill. We realize it is not as sunny as some claim and are fine with dryish temperate overcast minimal snow winters...yay! But I have some questions that I was unable to find answers to and am hoping they will be easy to answer.

1. Considering the Dungeness Water Rule...how do you keep your lawns green in summer if you can't water? We would be looking for a 1/2 to 1 acre lot so wouldn't have much to water but I've read that some areas specifically prohibit outside watering.
2. Does moss grow on rooftops and other stuff everywhere or just in shady, wooded areas?
3. Minor tremors don't scare us...we live with tornadoes and straight line winds...but do those tremors cause problems with cracking mortar, etc. on stone/brick homes?
4. Is air conditioning really needed and is a home without air at a disadvantage when on the market?
5. Easements!? I see so many lots with easement access as opposed to street access. How does this work? Do you drive over their lawn to get to your house? Can you install your own paved driveway on that easement? Are easements well understood and complied with or do they cause problems?
6. Is it better to be on a shared community well or city water or private well? Water appears to be a major issue in the Sequim area. We prefer well water but feel dangerously underinformed on what seems like a very complicated subject.
7. Is water quality (city or private/community well) an issue? Do some properties require iron filters?
8. Does most land in the Sequim area perc conventional? I realize each property is an individual case but I am looking for the general feel of the area.
9. Is the city of Sequim actively expanding city water/sewer such that we should be careful to avoid buying property and drilling a well/installing septic only to be slapped with a huge assessment in a few years for city water/sewer?
10. And what about Carlsborg? Comparable to Sequim? Pros and cons?
11. Do properties close to the Dungeness River flood in spring?
12. Any area specific advice/tips on what to be on the lookout for when buying land to build a retirement home in the Sequim area? Not general advice/tips...just issues specific to the Sequim area.
13. Can you kayak Sequim Bay in a recreational kayak or do you need a sea kayak? Can you safely paddle the Dungeness River in the dry season in a recreational kayak? If not are there smaller rivers in the area to paddle?
14. Is the city of Sequim dog friendly?
15. Are privacy fences considered the norm or do they disappoint the neighbors? What type of fence is considered most desirable and least likely to offend neighbors?
16. Is it cooler and foggy near the Strait? Warmer and sunnier in the Sequim city limits? Where should we look for land to reside in the warmest micro climate?
17. How far should we stay away from 101 to keep highway noise to a tolerable minimum?

If you've read this far then I am most appreciative. <G> And if you are inclined to answer then mondo thanks!
Hemlock, Ranquility?

Can you guys help here?

Giving you a bump.. Just went through this ourselves not to long ago... We came from Minocqua area, to Port Townsend.

(I see the water thing freaked you out... Good... Best to go in eyes wide open..)

The other thing I do not see you considering is wind. Closer to the water=wind

Be careful with the river. Not sure how much of a problem it is, but I read about transient/drug problems by the river.

You can answer many of your own questions... It is good to be independent.. Observation is your friend.
(I know it is hard, but that is Washington style, ..)

1. It is so cool and damp, grass only browns briefly in late summer... Even though rainfall is low, you get lots of dew in the AM.

2. Cool damp climate, moss grows, sure less than in the rainforest but still grows.

3. Not a big deal... Just waiting for the big one when the the Cascadia subduction zone lets loose sometime in the next 700 years. (Wood is good..)

4. Do you look at the climate statistics? What do you think? It tops out briefly at 70 degrees in late July/early August...
//www.city-data.com/city/Sequim-Washington.html

5. Easements.. Lots of those in Wisconsin too.. What the easement can be used for is specified... If it is a drive way easement then you can use it for a driveway.

6/7. Water is all about Salmon. If you want to understand more talk to the University. Trend is to get people on city water. It is way better than say Milwaukee water. Pretty much treated fresh glacial water.
Shared wells are common, as wells are generally real deep$$. It is no big deal. If you are not a farmer like me you do not need to concern yourself that much with it.

8. Places do perk conventional. The thing that will get you is hardpan. (That is from the glaciers.) My hardpan in Port Townsend is 30 to 60 inches deep, with sandy loam soil on top.. Some spots perk conventional others not... Really not a big deal... Know before you buy though. Maybe a pressure system will cost a few thousand extra.

9. Yep at least in Port Townsend... It is a craps shoot, and oh well if they force you off your well. As I said trend is to city water.

I am tired of typing..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
1. Considering the Dungeness Water Rule...how do you keep your lawns green in summer if you can't water? We would be looking for a 1/2 to 1 acre lot so wouldn't have much to water but I've read that some areas specifically prohibit outside watering. My parents have 5 acres, and a huge lawn. They have a well so no problem watering. Just do the research before buying.
Because they only get 10" of rain and sun almost every day for a few hours the moss is not the problem that we have in Seattle and the eastside area or on the rest of the Olympic Penninsula.
3. Minor tremors don't scare us...we live with tornadoes and straight line winds...but do those tremors cause problems with cracking mortar, etc. on stone/brick homes? Earthquakes are not common, again mush less than the Seattle area where it's still infrequent but there is potential.
AC is very rare, summer highs rarely get above 85 and Sequim gets some breezes that help, cools offf at night, and has a fairly short summer heat season.
5. Easements!? I see so many lots with easement access as opposed to street access. How does this work? Do you drive over their lawn to get to your house? Can you install your own paved driveway on that easement? Are easements well understood and complied with or do they cause problems? There are some "flag lots" where a home was built behind another, but I haven't seen that many. To get a building permit there has to have been a driveway for access.
6. Is it better to be on a shared community well or city water or private well? Water appears to be a major issue in the Sequim area. We prefer well water but feel dangerously underinformed on what seems like a very complicated subject. Again, do the research and have the well (and septic, if any) tested. Same for #7, it can vary but most people are happy with whatever source they have.
8. Does most land in the Sequim area perc conventional? I realize each property is an individual case but I am looking for the general feel of the area. This one is a little beyond my scope.
9. Is the city of Sequim actively expanding city water/sewer such that we should be careful to avoid buying property and drilling a well/installing septic only to be slapped with a huge assessment in a few years for city water/sewer? I'd really suggest the unincorporated Port Angeles area, between Sequim and PA to avoid that (Clallam County) especially the Blue Mountain/O'Brien area
10. And what about Carlsborg? Comparable to Sequim? Pros and cons? Just a longer drive to shopping
11. Do properties close to the Dungeness River flood in spring? Very Rare
12. Any area specific advice/tips on what to be on the lookout for when buying land to build a retirement home in the Sequim area? Not general advice/tips...just issues specific to the Sequim area. Some areas may have 3-5 acre lot size restrictions, and the cities of Sequim and PA both are difficult to deal with on permitting.
13. Can you kayak Sequim Bay in a recreational kayak or do you need a sea kayak? Can you safely paddle the Dungeness River in the dry season in a recreational kayak? If not are there smaller rivers in the area to paddle? Can't answer that one.
14. Is the city of Sequim dog friendly? Yes
15. Are privacy fences considered the norm or do they disappoint the neighbors? What type of fence is considered most desirable and least likely to offend neighbors? I haven't seen many, they may block views of water, mountains and woods. Most are wire, rustic cedar or none.
16. Is it cooler and foggy near the Strait? Warmer and sunnier in the Sequim city limits? Where should we look for land to reside in the warmest micro climate? Yes, but sunnier, warmer and less foggy on the mountain side of 101.
17. How far should we stay away from 101 to keep highway noise to a tolerable minimum? Before buying stand and listen, it's hard to put a distance on it due to variables like trees and terrain, but if it were me I'd go about 1/2 mile or more. Traffic is far heavier in the summer tourist season.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Hemlock, Ranquility?

Can you guys help here?

Giving you a bump.. Just went through this ourselves not to long ago... We came from Minocqua area, to Port Townsend.

(I see the water thing freaked you out... Good... Best to go in eyes wide open..)

Be careful with the river. Not sure how much of a problem it is, but I read about transient/drug problems by the river.

You can answer many of your own questions... It is good to be independent.. Observation is your friend.

1. It is so cool and damp, grass only browns briefly in late summer... Even though rainfall is low, you get lots of dew in the AM.

2. Cool damp climate, moss grows, sure less than in the rainforest but still grows.

3. Not a big deal... Just waiting for the big one when the the Cascadia subduction zone lets loose sometime in the next 700 years. (Wood is good..)

4. Do you look at the climate statistics? What do you think? It tops out briefly at 70 degrees in late July/early August...

5. Easements.. Lots of those in Wisconsin too.. What the easement can be used for is specified... If it is a drive way easement then you can use it for a driveway.

6/7. Water is all about Salmon. If you want to understand more talk to the University. Trend is to get people on city water. It is way better than say Milwaukee water. Pretty much treated fresh glacial water.
Shared wells are common, as wells are generally real deep$$. It is no big deal. If you are not a farmer like me you do not need to concern yourself that much with it.

8. Places do perk conventional. The thing that will get you is hardpan. (That is from the glaciers.) My hardpan in Port Townsend is 30 to 60 inches deep, with sandy loam soil on top.. Some spots perk conventional others not... Really not a big deal... Know before you buy though. Maybe a pressure system will cost a few thousand extra.

9. Yep at least in Port Townsend... It is a craps shoot, and oh well if they force you off your well. As I said trend is to city water.

I am tired of typing..
Hahaha. I was tired too after I posted.

Thanks on the wind! I had read about that but forgot...old, blonde brain trying to keep track of too many details. <G>

And thanks on the river...had not read that. So is the Discovery Trail relatively safe where it crosses the river?

Good news on the lawn. Google earth view has so many brown lawns the pics must've been taken in August.

So is there so much roof moss that it requires professional removal? Only in wooded areas?

We want as close to no maintenance as we can get so no wood siding. I've been considering faux brick or stone panels. Got a few samples and it looks very natural. Took a sledge hammer to it and could not make a dent no matter how hard I tried.

My gut was no air but I was wondering about resale since the builder we are considering typically installs air.

Way better than Milwaukee water is a great description. :-)

My nephew works in for an Indian tribe...he lives in Bellingham and works in maybe Bremerton?...as a fisheries biologist. He lives salmon. Guess I have an easy resource, hey?

We have a cabin in Sugar Camp about 10 miles south of Eagle River so we drive through your hometown often.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
1. Considering the Dungeness Water Rule...how do you keep your lawns green in summer if you can't water? We would be looking for a 1/2 to 1 acre lot so wouldn't have much to water but I've read that some areas specifically prohibit outside watering. My parents have 5 acres, and a huge lawn. They have a well so no problem watering. Just do the research before buying.
Because they only get 10" of rain and sun almost every day for a few hours the moss is not the problem that we have in Seattle and the eastside area or on the rest of the Olympic Penninsula.
3. Minor tremors don't scare us...we live with tornadoes and straight line winds...but do those tremors cause problems with cracking mortar, etc. on stone/brick homes? Earthquakes are not common, again mush less than the Seattle area where it's still infrequent but there is potential.
AC is very rare, summer highs rarely get above 85 and Sequim gets some breezes that help, cools offf at night, and has a fairly short summer heat season.
5. Easements!? I see so many lots with easement access as opposed to street access. How does this work? Do you drive over their lawn to get to your house? Can you install your own paved driveway on that easement? Are easements well understood and complied with or do they cause problems? There are some "flag lots" where a home was built behind another, but I haven't seen that many. To get a building permit there has to have been a driveway for access.
6. Is it better to be on a shared community well or city water or private well? Water appears to be a major issue in the Sequim area. We prefer well water but feel dangerously underinformed on what seems like a very complicated subject. Again, do the research and have the well (and septic, if any) tested. Same for #7, it can vary but most people are happy with whatever source they have.
8. Does most land in the Sequim area perc conventional? I realize each property is an individual case but I am looking for the general feel of the area. This one is a little beyond my scope.
9. Is the city of Sequim actively expanding city water/sewer such that we should be careful to avoid buying property and drilling a well/installing septic only to be slapped with a huge assessment in a few years for city water/sewer? I'd really suggest the unincorporated Port Angeles area, between Sequim and PA to avoid that (Clallam County) especially the Blue Mountain/O'Brien area
10. And what about Carlsborg? Comparable to Sequim? Pros and cons? Just a longer drive to shopping
11. Do properties close to the Dungeness River flood in spring? Very Rare
12. Any area specific advice/tips on what to be on the lookout for when buying land to build a retirement home in the Sequim area? Not general advice/tips...just issues specific to the Sequim area. Some areas may have 3-5 acre lot size restrictions, and the cities of Sequim and PA both are difficult to deal with on permitting.
13. Can you kayak Sequim Bay in a recreational kayak or do you need a sea kayak? Can you safely paddle the Dungeness River in the dry season in a recreational kayak? If not are there smaller rivers in the area to paddle? Can't answer that one.
14. Is the city of Sequim dog friendly? Yes
15. Are privacy fences considered the norm or do they disappoint the neighbors? What type of fence is considered most desirable and least likely to offend neighbors? I haven't seen many, they may block views of water, mountains and woods. Most are wire, rustic cedar or none.
16. Is it cooler and foggy near the Strait? Warmer and sunnier in the Sequim city limits? Where should we look for land to reside in the warmest micro climate? Yes, but sunnier, warmer and less foggy on the mountain side of 101.
17. How far should we stay away from 101 to keep highway noise to a tolerable minimum? Before buying stand and listen, it's hard to put a distance on it due to variables like trees and terrain, but if it were me I'd go about 1/2 mile or more. Traffic is far heavier in the summer tourist season.
Great information Hemlock! Thanks so much for your time. :-)

Where is the Blue Mountain/O'Brien area? Approximate street boundaries would help.

Difficult to deal with on permitting...meaning they are slow? or they are picky and require repeat inspections? or they are not happy people? or something else?

Mountain side of 101...that will be my goal then. My hubby has diabetes (circulation issues so he is almost always cold no matter where he is) and I want him as cozy warm as possible.

Hemlock and TrueTimbers...you guys rock!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Great information Hemlock! Thanks so much for your time. :-)

Where is the Blue Mountain/O'Brien area? Approximate street boundaries would help.

Difficult to deal with on permitting...meaning they are slow? or they are picky and require repeat inspections? or they are not happy people? or something else?

Mountain side of 101...that will be my goal then. My hubby has diabetes (circulation issues so he is almost always cold no matter where he is) and I want him as cozy warm as possible.

Hemlock and TrueTimbers...you guys rock!
Going out Highway 101 past downtown Sequim Toward Port Angeles you will pass Sunny Farms (a great food store) then Kitchen-Dick Road, S Barr Rd, Blue Mountain Rd, O'Brien Rd., S Bagley Creek Rd. Anything in that area on the mountain side of 101 is unincorporated. The cities of PA and Sequim have both suffered from disfunctional leadership thought the worst of it was about 5-10 years ago. They have trouble agreeing on their regulations and people get caught in the middle. It does get cold in winter, and some snow, so on the mountain side of 101 you won't want to be too high up in elevation. The snow/frost is much more when you get above 500. Blue Mountain Road goes almost all the way up to the Olympics and has many micro-climates between 101 and the top. I'll be up there this weekend myself.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Going out Highway 101 past downtown Sequim Toward Port Angeles you will pass Sunny Farms (a great food store) then Kitchen-Dick Road, S Barr Rd, Blue Mountain Rd, O'Brien Rd., S Bagley Creek Rd. Anything in that area on the mountain side of 101 is unincorporated. The cities of PA and Sequim have both suffered from disfunctional leadership thought the worst of it was about 5-10 years ago. They have trouble agreeing on their regulations and people get caught in the middle. It does get cold in winter, and some snow, so on the mountain side of 101 you won't want to be too high up in elevation. The snow/frost is much more when you get above 500. Blue Mountain Road goes almost all the way up to the Olympics and has many micro-climates between 101 and the top. I'll be up there this weekend myself.
Thanks again Hemlock. That helps.

Guessing a mile south of 101 wouldn't be too high? Tried to find a readable elevation map of Sequim but no luck.

Enjoy your weekend!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Hemlock, Ranquility?

Can you guys help here?

I am tired of typing..
Just saw your suggestion to post in the general WA forum. Didn't realize there was a general and chose the closest area which I assumed was Seattle. My duh. I'll repost as you suggest.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks again Hemlock. That helps.

Guessing a mile south of 101 wouldn't be too high? Tried to find a readable elevation map of Sequim but no luck.

Enjoy your weekend!
Thanks, I will, though it will be a tiring weekend. Planting about 1/2 acre of vegetable garden for my parents as I have done every May for the last 10 years or so. Any local realtor should be familiar with the various micro-climates, and be able to tell you where it snows, or is windy or foggy.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will, though it will be a tiring weekend. Planting about 1/2 acre of vegetable garden for my parents as I have done every May for the last 10 years or so. Any local realtor should be familiar with the various micro-climates, and be able to tell you where it snows, or is windy or foggy.
You are a good son Hemlock. :-) We do have a local realtor lined up to meet on our visit. But I still like to get opinions from those without an agenda, however unintentional, so this forum can be really valuable IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington