Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a reputable boat dealer on the Olympic or Kitsap Peninsulas or the I-5 corridor? I'm looking for a small aluminum boat with an outboard to take out on the bay or lake with my dog and not sink. I'm not a boat person so this is a learning experience. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you look an-line, there are several websites where boats for sale are listed. I suggest that you start there.

For smaller boats, Craigslist can at least be looked at. You might get lucky. That's where a lot of private sales are listed.

This time of year, the boat safety certifications are going on. Watch for those and go by and talk to people. Locally, they are done at the fire hall, but there should be announcements about when and where for your area.

Good used boats in great condition for a reasonable price are hard to come by, so expect to put in some time with your search. The longer you look the more focused in you will become on what you want. You probably should not buy until you know enough to tell what is what.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Adding, I'd be a bit careful about taking a small boat out onto the bay. Please talk to someone about what sort of boat is suitable before you buy. Small aluminum boats are for calm lakes in gentle weather, not the ocean.

If there is a coast guard station or a harbor master near you, that is a good place to go in and ask for advice. Seriously, they would rather that you ask before you buy than to have to go out and rescue you.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times
Be careful, boats tend to be overpriced in this region.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 AM

Thank you for the advice, what price would be considered reasonable for what I am looking for? I really do not have a clue. Also, is it customary to test run a boat, as one does when buying a car?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Thank you for the advice, what price would be considered reasonable for what I am looking for? I really do not have a clue. Also, is it customary to test run a boat, as one does when buying a car?
If at all possible yes at least ask them to see if the motor runs on a small boat. People with a boat can usually do this if they have a barrel or hose connector for the engine. The price just depends on a lot of factors. You will need a Washington State Boater Education card if you plan on getting a boat larger than 14 ft in length or if it has a outboard motor of 10hp or greater. Depending on your age you may not need the card. For an older boat like what you are wanting for small lakes and ponds. You could expect to pay around 1200 for a really nice setup. Metal or fiberglass hull, trailer and good outboard motor. You could pay a bit less for a mediocre setup. Keep in mind though that any outboard motor that runs good is worth at least 500$ Unless its under 10hp. Make sure you are getting boat with a trailer that it comes with a title. No title can be a pretty big hassle in most states. You have to apply for a salvage title in most cases , not worth it unless you have a really nice trailer. Usually those are titled anyway. Hope this helps. If you find a boat you are interested in I would suggest taking some photos of it writing down everything that comes with it and posting on Iboats.com forum asking if it is a fair price. People are really helpful on there and it is a forum specifically for boat talk.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum.php

Also what Oregonsmoke said, if you are planning on going on the ocean or even the bay you need a boat capable of handling that. Metal jon boats are for rivers and lakes. With the wind the way it is in the area I would prefer something with fairly high sides even in lakes. Something like a Bayliner or any fish and ski type boat large enough to handle swells in excess of 10 ft. It can get nasty out there, so plan accordingly.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-15-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Thank you, badapples and oregonsmoke for the info and resources. This is a new adventure for my pup and I and we are looking forward to getting on the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington