Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The weather data do not support this statement ... it has to be considerably less than 280 days of overcast (280/365=77% overcast over the whole year). It is gloomy in the winter, but not THAT gloomy.
Whatever you like... my "rain-glass" is 1/2 empty when making recommendations to folks that indicate rain might be a problem, AND they say that Seattle is too wet.

I've seen the strain on too many folks that have moved from better climates and thought they could adjust. Most have had to finally move away after spending $$$ on drugs and counseling. Today additional issues are real estate valuation and 'time-on-market' risks. In the downturn of the '80's, folks that HAD to sell houses, lost a lot of dough.

For anyone insistent on trying this ... the best advice we got from a family who failed to make the PNW transition. (many (~80%) returned to Colorado from PNW, when our company transferred them)...
" as tempting as it is... don't buy a home sheltered in the trees, get plenty of southern exposure and have BIG windows. " moss on sidewalks and roof is a bad sign...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I've seen the strain on too many folks that have moved from better climates and thought they could adjust. Most have had to finally move away after spending $$$ on drugs and counseling. Today additional issues are real estate valuation and 'time-on-market' risks. In the downturn of the '80's, folks that HAD to sell houses, lost a lot of dough.
This is exactly where I am! From hot Sacramento, and I've spent $125 a month for 2 years on therpay and now on 5-HTP (anti-depressant) and got a Sun Lamp for S.A.D for Xmas

Old 12-17-2007, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,731 times
Default Great Locations

Vancouver, Camas, Washougal or Skamania County.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
Quote:
Whatever you like... my "rain-glass" is 1/2 empty when making recommendations to folks that indicate rain might be a problem, AND they say that Seattle is too wet.

I've seen the strain on too many folks that have moved from better climates and thought they could adjust. Most have had to finally move away after spending $$$ on drugs and counseling...
I agree with this. I spent many years living in coastal Alaska and saw a lot of people leave because they could not take the summer rain, the cold and the long dark winters.

My advice, if moving here to Western WA from a warmer or dryer climate, is not to commit. Don't burn your bridges back home. Come here for a year to see how you like it. You may take to it like a duck to the pond, but don't count on it. Do a trial basis move first.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM

70 posts, read 295,735 times
I live in NYC. If I could live anywhere, I would love to buy a house right off Puget Sound.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsha4 View Post
I agree with this. I spent many years living in coastal Alaska and saw a lot of people leave because they could not take the summer rain, the cold and the long dark winters.
How do you compare Alaska with Seattle? The weather is absolutely different

Last edited by Botev1912; 12-18-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Coastal Alaska's weather is very much like Seattle's. It is southcentral and the interior of AK that gets the brunt of signature Alaska weather (snow, etc). Coastal Alaska (SouthEast) is dominated by gray, soggy weather and fog--and we're not just talking during the winter months but year round.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 AM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Coastal Alaska's weather is very much like Seattle's. It is southcentral and the interior of AK that gets the brunt of signature Alaska weather (snow, etc). Coastal Alaska (SouthEast) is dominated by gray, soggy weather and fog--and we're not just talking during the winter months but year round.
Southcentral is also coastal. I lived on Cook Inlet. It is WAY colder than Seattle with about 8 or 9 months of winter (months with mostly below freezing averages) and the summers can often be wetter and are much cooler. Have spent quite a bit time in Southeastern Alaska as well. It is warmer than Southcentral Alaska, true, but it is MUCH colder than Seattle and a LOT wetter. More like the Ho Rainforest. Seattle averages about 40 inches of rain annually. Southeastern AK can range from 120 to over 200.

Most Alaskans that relocate to Seattle (and there are a lot of us), are very grateful for the nice weather!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with this position - Just the figures cited... Its a good warning to be realistic about the climate. Tho I have 2 cousins who grew up in CO and moved to Seattle and love it there.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post
..where would you pick?

We need a house between 200-300k and preferably near parks, outdoors type things. My husband is an avid runner and skier and Im a snowboarder at heart. We have a infant daughter so schools will eventually be a concern but we have a few years before that. We originally considered Seattle but its too rainy....reading about Tacoma is scaring me and Spokane is the same way. Is there any REALLY cool towns (not too big or small) with decent housing?
We live in the DC area and Im longing to move West. I LOVE it out there. My husband works for the Discovery Channel but telecommutes so proximity to work is not an issue. Im finishing my nursing degree (slowly) and right now Im a stay at home mom.

Its so overwhelming I dont know where to start!
http://www.****.com pointed me to Bend, OR or Tacoma, WA but after reading here about those places, Im scared for my life and the well being of my family

Can anyone give me some thoughts? If you could live anywhere in the Northwest (WA, OR, ID) where would you pick and why ?
Given your list above you really might want to look at Bend, OR. Might be on the small side, and a bit pricey, but seems to fit your criteria.

If not Bend, your list really matches up with Spokane pretty well. You can find a nice house in a good neighborhood in that price range, there is a very good park system and it is a great recreational area (lakes, mountains, trails, and Bloomsday for the runner). I'm sure you've done some looking around on your own but I would encourage you to do so as in my opinion there are a few posters here who present Spokane an inaccurate light. The schools are generally good, there is little traffic and the weather is much drier than west of the mountains. Good luck with your search.

The free outdoors/recreation paper for Spokane can be found here: http://www.outtheremonthly.com/
For Bloomsday, check out: http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington