Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM

259 posts, read 601,642 times

Advertisements

Although my whole family lived in Oregon for many years (my stepdaughter was raised there), we are now strewn all over the country, with my husband and I being farthest away in New Hampshire. When we retire in a few years, we want to move back to the PNW and would like our three kids, all of whom live in Colorado right now, to be able to join us there at some point. My stepdaughter will have her teaching certificate after this coming fall semester. She's passed the math and science Praxis exams and can also teach music (she's a piano teacher by profession and has worked as an accompanist in local Colorado junior and high schools). We would really like to be back in Oregon, but everything I read about teaching jobs in Oregon is terribly depressing. It sounds like no one--even someone who can teach math and science at the high school level--can get hired. Is the situation the same in Washington? I know that teaching is a tough profession to enter almost everywhere in the country, but I'm hoping that Washington's situation isn't as extreme as Oregon's.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
What about the climate in Vancouver, WA just across the river? Is it different from teaching in the Portland/Beaverton area?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Live and work (teach) in WA, visit Oregon. (5 minutes away from many nice border communities)

If any kids will be in High School... Can't beat WA Running Start program (Free college instead of High School)

There are 9 decent districts in the Vancouver / Camas area. 3 great districts

Oregon has pretty terrible funding / legislation for schools.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 AM

180 posts, read 583,179 times
Portland has Gateway Program (like running start).

I have heard that oregon has been on a hiring trend lately with teachers, and a lot of teachers who delayed retiring due to the recession are getting ready to retire soon, but I would investigate those claims before making any decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: