Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

719 posts, read 986,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post
We need to be somewhere where we are accepted.
Saudi Arabia?

I seriously can't think of anywhere in the U.S. that truly fits this description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 AM

202 posts, read 406,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post
We are in Colorado right now, so we are used to quite a bit of sun and snow.

Are you happy with the school there? Have you found people to be friendly and open to new people (setting aside any unusual circumstances like ours, lol)? One of the problems we have with where we are now is that we live in a pretty small town and people here just do not seem to be interested in "letting anyone new in", if you know what I mean. And they don't even know about our personal living situation. There's almost the mentality that if you didn't grow up in the area, they won't give you the time of day.
I have family in Colorado! Near Boulder and Littleton. It's gorgeous there, too, but I prefer it here!

Yes, we liked the school this past year. Although we came from a horrible school district in Illinois so perhaps we didn't have much to compare it to. My daughter's teacher was great and she LOVED going to school. Her reading ability has improved greatly and the Tahoma SD is supposed to be one the best in the state so I don't think you'd go wrong in that regard. There is an overcrowding problem, but with the bond passing earlier this year, that will hopefully get better in the years to come.

I think Maple Valley used to have that same persona, typical of smaller towns, but it's grown a lot in the last ten years so while there are still some people with that mentality, more and more are going to be like us. Newbies wanting to make new friends! I actually feel a bit guilty living here ... like we're the usurpers now. I grew up in small town, too, that exploded in growth and having been born there, was on "the other side" watching people move in. It's a strange twist of fate that is humbling. I LOVE our new home, but I do feel guilty for how it's being built up. I just hope the city is smart about how things continue to develop.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I apologize if my wording was poor. I was trying to say that being gay is a way of life (i.e. not a "choice"), but being in a "plural marriage" is simply an odd life-choice. As such, to equate the struggle of living a "plural marriage" lifestyle to the struggle of acceptance of being gay is insulting to gay people. So the comparison by the OP is apples to oranges.
Thanks, that's what I understand and that's why I responded to the OP. I see the OP's as a choice but from what I've seen, gays didn't ask for their lives to be more challenging; it was not a choice they made.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That is absolutely false. As a matter of fact, there is no faster way to get excommunicated from the LDS Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) than to be found to be in a polygamous relationship.
Actually, it is you who have it backward.. In fact , it is the more modern and liberal LDS churches that may shun polygamy to make themselves more acceptable to society or fit the status-quo. However, Joseph Smith, himself, was polygamous and the Mormon church has been practicing polygamy for years. Many very conservative religions practice polygamy. If anything, I would say people of a more liberal mindset shun marriage altogether and more and more people are not even getting married, but rather just having unmarried, uncommitted relationships and sojourning together.

However, if people are so strong in support of gay marriage, then I think it is just as criminal not to support polygamous marriage. A man/woman should have the right to marry more than one husband/wife. THis is just my opinion.

With all the cheating, sleeping around and multiple partners people have these days, people or more or less polygamous anyway, but just won't admit it.. Most marriages these days end in divorce.. I think polygamy would a much better option.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:09 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Actually, it is you who have it backward.. In fact , it is the more modern and liberal LDS churches that may shun polygamy to make themselves more acceptable to society or fit the status-quo. However, Joseph Smith, himself, was polygamous and the Mormon church has been practicing polygamy for years.
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I have been a practicing Mormon for 65 years and I know what I'm talking about. The LDS Church banned polygamy in 1893 because it basically had no other choice. The federal government was threatening to seize all of the Church's holdings, essentially putting it out of existence. It was only after the Church officially put a stop to the practice that Utah was granted statehood (in 1896). I am well aware that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. So what? Joseph Smith was not the last LDS prophet. There have been sixteen men lead the Church since its founding, and each one has the authority to receive new revelation for a different period of time. Joseph Smith himself would back me up on that. A few splinter groups continue the practice today, but it is officially against the rules of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and excommunication is the consequence of disobedience. The are no exceptions to this rule, and no "ifs, ands or buts."

You can continue to tell me I'm wrong if it makes you feel better, but I do know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
A man/woman should have the right to marry more than one husband/wife. THis is just my opinion.
Well why don't you join the Mormon Church then, marry a second and third wife and see how long you're able to remain a member.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-15-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Actually, it is you who have it backward.. In fact , it is the more modern and liberal LDS churches that may shun polygamy to make themselves more acceptable to society or fit the status-quo. However, Joseph Smith, himself, was polygamous and the Mormon church has been practicing polygamy for years. Many very conservative religions practice polygamy. If anything, I would say people of a more liberal mindset shun marriage altogether and more and more people are not even getting married, but rather just having unmarried, uncommitted relationships and sojourning together.

However, if people are so strong in support of gay marriage, then I think it is just as criminal not to support polygamous marriage. A man/woman should have the right to marry more than one husband/wife. THis is just my opinion.

With all the cheating, sleeping around and multiple partners people have these days, people or more or less polygamous anyway, but just won't admit it.. Most marriages these days end in divorce.. I think polygamy would a much better option.
So here we have a conservative Jew (you) and a eclectic Pagan (me) in agreement..

Why fight Mother Nature??..............

Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
The LDS Church had to stop the practice of polygamy (among other things) in order for Utah to be accepted into the United States. The Utah War was between the Mormons who had left for the desert (Utah) and the United States Government. If the US didn't get involved and Utah was not made into a state but as it's own sovereign state, the mainstream LDS Church would probably still practice polygamy.
If you google and read LDS/Utah history, the US Government was not kind to the Mormons mainly because of polygamy and in 1894 the US Congress listed out rules for Utah to be accepted as a state...and one of those was to ban polygamy.

Utah War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An interesting note, is even though the "official/mainstream" LDS Church does not currently practice polygamy the deep LDS Doctrine does teach that polygamy can be practiced in the next life to members who were good temple goers in this life. I remember being taught this when I was young...but I've heard that the LDS Church does not currently push this doctrine probably because of the controversy surrounding polygamy the past few decades.

Some members of the LDS Church may mock this link, but it does have truth.

LDS Leaders still believe there will be Polygamy in Heaven

I personally think it is horrible how Utah and the LDS Church treats polygamists in their own state. The early Mormons who settled Utah practiced it because that is what God wanted and then they had to stop so that they wouldn't go to jail or killed and for Utah to be accepted into the Union. Mainstream Mormons can practice polygamy in the next life....so why all the nastiness towards the polygamists in Utah? The LDS Church flip flops on dogma a lot to remain PC in today's modern world and to attract new members. I wonder how far off the day is when coffee will no longer be considered a sin for LDS people to drink?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
So here we have a conservative Jew (you) and a eclectic Pagan (me) in agreement..

Why fight Mother Nature??..............
Rotse also thinks older men should marry younger women because they are more submissive, attractive and prone to bearing children. You add polygamy and what Rotse really wants is a harem. He's not the first of course but he does give it a Raymond Jessop vibe.

Last edited by Seacove; 07-15-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The LDS Church had to stop the practice of polygamy (among other things) in order for Utah to be accepted into the United States. The Utah War was between the Mormons who had left for the desert (Utah) and the United States Government. If the US didn't get involved and Utah was not made into a state but as it's own sovereign state, the mainstream LDS Church would probably still practice polygamy.
Well, that's debatable but totally a moot point, given the fact that polygamy has been outlawed for over 120 years.

Quote:
If you google and read LDS/Utah history, the US Government was not kind to the Mormons mainly because of polygamy and in 1894 the US Congress listed out rules for Utah to be accepted as a state...and one of those was to ban polygamy.

Utah War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm well aware of the history of the state of Utah.

Quote:
An interesting note, is even though the "official/mainstream" LDS Church does not currently practice polygamy the deep LDS Doctrine does teach that polygamy can be practiced in the next life to members who were good temple goers in this life. I remember being taught this when I was young...but I've heard that the LDS Church does not currently push this doctrine probably because of the controversy surrounding polygamy the past few decades.
The Church doesn't "push this doctrine" because it's an excommunicable offense.

Quote:
I personally think it is horrible how Utah and the LDS Church treats polygamists in their own state.
Well, the LDS Church treats polygamists the same regardless of where they live; they're excommunicated. And the state of Utah is only abiding by established law.

Quote:
Mainstream Mormons can practice polygamy in the next life....so why all the nastiness towards the polygamists in Utah?
Well, anything and everything that's going to take place in "the next life" is purely conjecture, and this is not the "next life."

Quote:
The LDS Church flip flops on dogma a lot to remain PC in today's modern world and to attract new members.
I think that's just your opinion. At any rate, it's off topic for this discussion.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Rotse also thinks younger women should marry older men because they are more submissive, attractive and prone to bearing children.
I don't know if older men are submissive. Some of them are more attractive. But none of them bear children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington