Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times

Advertisements

The whole of the PNW regions are live and let live though imo, these regions tend to be more reserved than say a state like NJ. I found Spokane to be very live and let live just like the rest of the PNW and plains states and the Northeast....but I did find a "freeze" somewhat in Spokane, a reservedness if you will. But N Idaho, Coeur Delane, Post Falls wowed me, they were extremely friendly up there across the state line in N Idaho, some great peeps up there imo. Aside from the high crime in Spokane, and the reservedness, still a pretty cool place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I find most Washington's to be friendly, overall.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
PS90:
Consider the Seattle May Day riots: seriously, what other city has a designated day for attacking political enemies?

It's no wonder Eastern Washington looks askance at Seattle transplants. I even hesitate about admitting I'm from there to people in East King County.

I would imagine that the 'freeze' in the East dissipates as soon as the locals are satisfied that you're 'not one of them.' LOL
For the most part this is true, if you are a coastie or from California or the south good luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I agree, but the Eastern WA freeze does exist, though it is subtle. However, for the most part, there is a live and let live attitude throughout the entire NW including WA, OR, ID. (Utah...well I better stop now).
No, please continue. Your comment about UT comes from having lived where in UT and for how long? Let's make sure all understand your experience in UT.

Have you ever looked at the stats of transfers back and forth between the U. of Washington and the U. of Utah and vice versa? How would you explain the U. of Washington being the first University, who wanted Utah in ALL the Pac -12 encompasses?

I look forward to your info and stats. Like you've said before, healthy debates are good for growing metros. I agree with your statement.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-24-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 AM

Default Continuation of Previous Post

I came back to add more to the above post as the main reason I asked pw72 to clarify wasn't included. Please consider this a continuation of the above post.
Quote:
I agree, but the Eastern WA freeze does exist, though it is subtle. However, for the most part, there is a live and let live attitude throughout the entire NW including WA, OR, ID. (Utah...well I better stop now).
No, please continue. Your comment about UT comes from having lived where in UT and for how long? Let's make sure all understand your experience in UT.

Have you ever looked at the stats of transfers back and forth between the U. of Washington and the U. of Utah and vice versa? How would you explain the U. of Washington being the first University, who wanted Utah in ALL that the Pac -12 encompasses?

I look forward to your info and stats. Like you've said before, healthy debates are good for growing metros. I agree with your statement.

But there is another reason to clarify posts with facts.

PW72, I'm sure you remember a "metro" Seattle/Tacoma poster who posted in an ID thread how "Seattle (metro) had become like a third world nation." I don't want to list that person's username as almost every post is very slanted, the rest of us are dumb compared to XXXX since we don't see things identically, he's condescending to females and had a thread he started in a General Discussion thread.

Let me make sure anyone reading this is clear it was the "third world poster" NOT pw72 who wrote the comments about Seattle metro becoming a "third world nation." . Being the Seattle native pw72 is, pw72 posted a strong response about Seattle metro NOTbeing "third world." Not only did I agree, I posted more of mostly NE cities that have areas that have real slums let alone the south side of Chicago.

That example matters as you (pw72) do have experience in Eastern WA. When you write about the Eastern WA Freeze, I will utilize the information you share vs. someone who drove through Eastern WA once 14 years ago and posts about a much more limited time. Both posts count, but who influences me are those with the most accurate facts.

You know the cities, the airports, radio stations - although I'm still having a difficult time to know which one plays RUSH outside of Spokane [hint ] and the distance between cities as well as an estimated population in each city. I trust your facts about WA. I don't know that I would learn much from someone who only drove through, as my hypothetical example uses for someone else who might post.

When those outside the PNW read your post and maybe others, will wonder why you included what you did about UT. Rather than be seen as someone like the "third world poster" who writes opinions, which is allowed, please tell us your experience to back your post about UT. I think there are some roads you know better in UT than I do.

You observe many things well. Please share what you know based on how long you've been in UT.

And with the horrible tragedy in Pierce County with the Powell children so tightly connected with their mother, Susan Powell's disappearance in UT, there are dozens of Facebook pages and other sites that address all or some of the crimes. Are you current on them? Many may think that is why you listed what you did about UT.

It will be much clearer for future readers for you to clarify how you arrived at your conclusions about UT - and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and negative views of UT. Readers deserve to know if you are posting as a tourist, former resident, business owner or other. As your post ends one doesn't know if you went through UT and got a speeding citation, lived there five years or have a summer home in Deere Valley.

Thanks in advance for clarifying for current and future readers

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-25-2014 at 01:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
OK.

My comments were simply off the cuff and should be treated as such. My comment was not anywhere close to an attack on Utah, just a perception I personally have. You are free to disagree, and facts on this are not readily available, as they are completely subjective. BTW, just to answer your question, I spent almost eight years in Eastern Washington.

Last edited by pw72; 07-25-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
The Northwest is not very friendly. East of the Cascades is better than the wet-side.

However, I think there is a difference that even Lewis....of Lewis and Clark noticed. From May 1, 1806

"some time after we had encamped three young men arrived from the Wallahwollah village bringing with them a steel trap belonging to one our our party which had been neglegently left behind; this is an act of integrity rarely witnessed among indians. during our stay with them they several times found the knives of the men which had been carelessley lossed by them and returned them. I think we can justly affirm to the honor of these people that they are the most hospitable, honest, and sincere people that we have met in our voyage".

Gass....May 7,1806

"All the Indians from the Rocky mountains to the falls of the Columbia (Calilo Falls), are an honest, ingenuous and well disposed people; but from the falls to the sea-coast, and along it, they are a rascally, thieving set."

Is it the sun or maybe the relentless drizzle that affect humans and their behavior?? It appears that after 200 plus years nothing has changed between eastern Washington and western Washington.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
OK.

My comments were simply off the cuff and should be treated as such. My comment was not anywhere close to an attack on Utah, just a perception I personally have. You are free to disagree, and facts on this are not readily available, as they are completely subjective. BTW, just to answer your question, I spent almost eight years in Eastern Washington.

pw72,

I appreciate your post. I know it may not feel like it now, but I think too much of you, your knowledge about Interstates, other transportation, distribution patterns and the things you really know. I often refer people to your posts. Your wealth of information is too valuable to have someone in the future potentially try to discredit you based on a half remark.

The Cox-Powell deaths and alleged other crimes took their toil on Eastern WA and UT residents. I don't want to say more than that as those tragedies are not the subject of this thread.

Besides, you write and spell better than I, let alone other experience you have. I like how you handled the above I tried to rep you but can't yet. Know I would have though, if I could. No place is right for everyone and your perceptions are important Information. I don't discount you or your perceptions. I think a perception of anywhere can be very different for those who have spent limited time somewhere vs. lived there.

As we all are thinking of where we want to be in a year or five years, I hope you will utilize your eight yrs. in Eastern WA to help others. I looked at WSU too. And Veterinary students from UT attend WSU, as well as those from other states that don't have a DVM program, as just one example.

By some chance if Eastern WA is where I decide to go, I will ask you first about certain locations because I trust you and your experiences living where you have. I don't think you would knowingly give me bad advice.

Getting back to this E. Washington shuffle, I didn't know it existed until I started reading this thread. It's actually interesting to learn about. So back to the shuffle please

MSR

Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
The Cox-Powell deaths and alleged other crimes took their toil on Eastern WA and UT residents. I don't want to say more than that as those tragedies are not the subject of this thread.
Sorry to butt-in here, but just to clarify - if we are separating Washington into two regions, then technically Eastern WA had nothing to do with this, as their association was strictly with towns in Western WA. Graham and Puyallup, I think.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Sorry to butt-in here, but just to clarify - if we are separating Washington into two regions, then technically Eastern WA had nothing to do with this, as their association was strictly with towns in Western WA. Graham and Puyallup, I think.
PS90,

Thanks for that reminder. I do believe you are correct.

Changing the subject slightly, this thread caught my attention as I want to learn more about Pullman. I don't see a subforum for Pullman and I haven't searched the entire WA thread. What threads, Cities or titles would you recommend for Pullman specific info?

That's a question for anyone.

Thanks again for clarifying

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington