Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times

Advertisements

Wanted to thank everyone who patiently answered my many questions about Sequim. We just returned from our first trip there and loved it. Our last day in Sequim was the first day of the Lavender Festival so we got a chance to see the area both in and out of festival mode. We had a week of very warm weather although our cottage on the Strait was chilly and windy...what a crazy difference in microclimates just 10 minutes apart! I was hoping for a more characteristic summer weather pattern but we'll be returning so more chances for that.

Loved two restaurants so much that we ate at each twice...Nourish and Pacific Pantry. Nourish is 100% gluten free and PP can make nearly anything on their menu GF on request. Great food, friendly staff and darn close to Heaven for a Celiac!

We enjoyed so much about Sequim...Discovery Trail, John Wayne Marina, Dungeness Bay Cottages, GF restaurants, blooming lavender fields, bald eagles, small town atmosphere so similar to our northern Wisconsin, beautiful treed winding roads so similar to our northern Wisconsin, evergreen treed foothills, mountain views, rocky driftwood beaches, dog friendly atmosphere with communal dog water bowls at many shops on the main drag, focus on local organic food, Hurricane Ridge in full bloom...but the thing that really stood out was the friendly nature of everyone we met or even passed by. So many hand waves we started to wonder if we ever left the Midwest. <G> We made some friends during our short visit and that's pretty cool.

We were so busy that we didn't get a chance to hike the Dungeness Spit...next trip for sure...although we looked at it every day from our cottage on Marine Drive.

The advice to drive/ferry to Seattle in the evening, stay overnight and fly home the next day was spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
I wish the Discovery Trail was still a railroad. :/

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Good to hear Jumpingdogs!

Yep... to everything you said...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I wish the Discovery Trail was still a railroad. :/
Stating this without expressing why naturally begs the question. :-) So I will ask...why?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Stating this without expressing why naturally begs the question. :-) So I will ask...why?
If no longer financially viable, it (or a portion of it) would easily make for one of America's most beautiful tourist railroads. If financially viable, it could aid the growth (or future growth) of a region that continues to see industrial attrition.

The railroad was shuttered for two reasons. First, it wasn't generating income (although you may be able to hang this on the fact that it was an obscure Milwaukee Road branch operation for most of its lifetime, and the MILW, while spectacularly interesting, was a money loser from the late 50s onwards). Second, because it was an awkward operation (there was a car float to Seattle, and any time you have that 'extra step' of loading cars onto barges in order to make a connection, the efficiency of a railroad declines dramatically). Anyone doubting this needs only look to Vancouver Island and how that locale's much larger network is hanging by a thread.

However, there is a viable, national network connection as close by as Bangor Trident Base. While this is obviously a pipe dream, it a greater age of railroading, I don't think it would have been unreasonable to see this line extended to Discovery Bay via a routing similar to that taken by rt. 104 and a floating bridge. In fact, original plans for the railroad called for just such a connection to be made, albeit running down the left side of the Hood Canal.

What ifs being what they are, all this is an exercise in pointlessness, but I lament the loss of a unique and scenic stretch of railroad, particularly in favor of a ubiquitous yuppie's trail.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
If no longer financially viable, it (or a portion of it) would easily make for one of America's most beautiful tourist railroads. If financially viable, it could aid the growth (or future growth) of a region that continues to see industrial attrition.

The railroad was shuttered for two reasons. First, it wasn't generating income (although you may be able to hang this on the fact that it was an obscure Milwaukee Road branch operation for most of its lifetime, and the MILW, while spectacularly interesting, was a money loser from the late 50s onwards). Second, because it was an awkward operation (there was a car float to Seattle, and any time you have that 'extra step' of loading cars onto barges in order to make a connection, the efficiency of a railroad declines dramatically). Anyone doubting this needs only look to Vancouver Island and how that locale's much larger network is hanging by a thread.

However, there is a viable, national network connection as close by as Bangor Trident Base. While this is obviously a pipe dream, it a greater age of railroading, I don't think it would have been unreasonable to see this line extended to Discovery Bay via a routing similar to that taken by rt. 104 and a floating bridge. In fact, original plans for the railroad called for just such a connection to be made, albeit running down the left side of the Hood Canal.

What ifs being what they are, all this is an exercise in pointlessness, but I lament the loss of a unique and scenic stretch of railroad, particularly in favor of a ubiquitous yuppie's trail.
Sounds like you know your railroads. Not sure how much of a draw a tourist railroad would be...as a tourist I wouldn't be interested in riding a train no matter how scenic the surroundings unless there was no other way to see them. But maybe I am the odd man out.

Yuppie trail? Hmmm. I didn't see any obvious young urban professionals nor any immodest rich folks when we walked it but I did see lots of non-yuppie types enjoying the trail. :-)

Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM

196 posts, read 318,879 times
So, Jumpindogs, I am so happy you liked it. That's why we loved it when we went last year. Still waiting for our house to sell and then it's off to Sequim. Will try those restaurants you suggested. Hope to see you in the future!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
So, Jumpindogs, I am so happy you liked it. That's why we loved it when we went last year. Still waiting for our house to sell and then it's off to Sequim. Will try those restaurants you suggested. Hope to see you in the future!
Both are relatively new. Nourish is a bit west of Sequim Avenue and just south of 101...can't recall the street but you can see the sign from Sequim Avenue. They open for lunch at 11:30 am. Pacific Pantry is on the west side of Sequim Avenue about a block and a half south of Washington Street. Looks like a home so it can be easy to miss. But there is a sign in front. Enjoy!

We actually found some property we sorta like as we were getting familiar with the real estate picture in Sequim. Check out Daybreak Meadows. Gently hilled 48 lot development of 1-3 acre lots on private roads just south of 101. On a high output community well outside the Dungeness Water Rule area. Some with saltwater and/or Mt. Baker views and some with evergreen treed foothill views. Some sparsely and some densely forested. Walking distance down Palo Alto to the Discovery Trail. Very close to John Wayne Marina for kayaking the bay. Close enough to shopping. Warmer than downtown Sequim but with a nice breeze off the bay on the days we were there. Reasonable CC&Rs and HOA fee. Unfortunately most lots will prolly require a mound system or other treatment level B system due to soil type. Another downside is that it is tough to turn west on 101 from Palo Alto but the government has purchased land just north of the development and adjacent to 101 with the future plan of improving access.

Home sales are picking up in Sequim but land is still sluggish...might be a good time to buy land.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM

196 posts, read 318,879 times
Thanks for the info, Jumpindogs. I'll check it out. I was trying to stay away from the alternative septics I've seen. Most have more problems than I like. We were looking out further toward the Strait. I personally like it west of 101. Maybe up a little. But it depends on what we can find when we get there.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Thanks for the info, Jumpindogs. I'll check it out. I was trying to stay away from the alternative septics I've seen. Most have more problems than I like. We were looking out further toward the Strait. I personally like it west of 101. Maybe up a little. But it depends on what we can find when we get there.
Remember the water rule south of 101.....

Up a little might be in the NO outdoor water usage zone... I suspect real cheap for unsuspecting buyers.. Do your homework, and do not underestimate the water in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington