Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,116,406 times

Advertisements

July finishes as 2nd warmest on record at Sea-Tac | Weather Blog | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,250,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
In much of the country this is one of the coolest summers on record. The NW (and much of the West in general) is the exception.
That's our summer story in Wisconsin. Last winter was frigid for so long that Lake Michigan iced more than usual and thawed later resulting in colder than normal summer lake temperatures. That is keeping us very cool this summer. Although my hot and humid, mosquitoed hike this afternoon didn't feel all that cool.

I don't know if global warming is real or not. There is too much hype on both sides of the issue. And I find it disconcerting when supporters claim that cold weather patterns, warm weather patterns, dry weather patterns and wet weather patterns are all a result of global warming. I don't doubt our actions are harming the planet...and we should stop that...but I tend to put more faith in cyclical historical weather patterns.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 AM

172 posts, read 255,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
That's our summer story in Wisconsin. Last winter was frigid for so long that Lake Michigan iced more than usual and thawed later resulting in colder than normal summer lake temperatures. That is keeping us very cool this summer. Although my hot and humid, mosquitoed hike this afternoon didn't feel all that cool.

I don't know if global warming is real or not. There is too much hype on both sides of the issue. And I find it disconcerting when supporters claim that cold weather patterns, warm weather patterns, dry weather patterns and wet weather patterns are all a result of global warming. I don't doubt our actions are harming the planet...and we should stop that...but I tend to put more faith in cyclical historical weather patterns.
I feel the same way about both sides manipulating the facts. People talk about how much the globe is heating up, but I see changes every year since i've lived here in the South. One August in Alabama, we literally had two weeks of 100 plus degree days about 6 years ago. Last summer it was so "cool" in Birmingham that we rarely reached 90 and this summer it's back up to the mid-90s. Weather changes from year to year, I don't necessairly think that humans are the only cause of it. But I do agree we need to take better care of our Earth, especially by using less pesticides and other chemicals. That being said, I can't take the heat down here in the South any year, so i'm moving somewhere frozen. lol

Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
Default Cool in L.A.

This is one of Los Angeles' coolest (I mean lowest temp) summers.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,518 times
Yes, while we have't hit over 100, it is the most above-80s I can recall. It's delightful.

I do think odds are we're going to get some good snow this winter. Yay!

Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,457,313 times
And people like to say Seattle has cold summer weather.....

Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,116,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
And people like to say Seattle has cold summer weather.....
compared to almost all other regions excluding Alaska and San Francisco, yes Seattle has colder summers.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,057 times
Three years ago we had one of the coldest summers ever. The warmest day was only 84 degrees and there were only a handful of days that got above 80 degrees. I never had an air-conditioner until about 5 years ago. I bought two window units and this year they have really paid off keeping the house comfortable.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:42 AM

768 posts, read 717,931 times
Hmm... Yesterday, I asked my bf if summer was over. This summer feels like it's going to be short & hasn't been that warm to me. It didn't even start on the famous July 5th. And it rained for several days in a row around July 23rd. On our way home from fireworks, it was 59 degrees! 2012 was a really nice (hot) summer. I think a record was broken for the amount of days in a row that it didn't rain. Some high degree days also broke records, if I remember correctly. And the summer weather lasted through September! Ahhh.....

Old 08-10-2014, 10:18 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,267,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Hmm... Yesterday, I asked my bf if summer was over. This summer feels like it's going to be short & hasn't been that warm to me. It didn't even start on the famous July 5th. And it rained for several days in a row around July 23rd. On our way home from fireworks, it was 59 degrees! 2012 was a really nice (hot) summer. I think a record was broken for the amount of days in a row that it didn't rain. Some high degree days also broke records, if I remember correctly. And the summer weather lasted through September! Ahhh.....
Well, you are in quite the minority compared to most people and compared to the meteorological data.

Spokane, for example, averages 19 days above 90 degrees F per summer. This year, we have had 23 days already with at least 2 or 3 more forecasted in the next week.

Probably not going to be one of the hottest summers ever, but certainly quite a bit above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington