Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times

Advertisements

Can't confuse weather with climate. That we don't know everything about the climate doesn't mean that the greenhouse gas effect is not basic science - continuing to pump more and more CO2 into the atmosphere will drive average temperatures up over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Three years ago we had one of the coldest summers ever. The warmest day was only 84 degrees and there were only a handful of days that got above 80 degrees. I never had an air-conditioner until about 5 years ago. I bought two window units and this year they have really paid off keeping the house comfortable.
Very true. In fact, there were quite a few days in June 2011 where the temperatures did not reach 70. I remember the day before flying home to FL in late July where the high was in the 60s, and it was in the upper 50s until early afternoon.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,711 times
Today and tomorrow may likely be one of the hottest days this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see temps. around 92F in downtown Seattle and maybe up to the mid 90's farther east around Bellevue, Monroe and Duvall. Even places on the Kitsap like Kingston and Poulsbo could be in the mid 80's barring no unforeseen push of the marine layer.

Middle of the week, Tuesday evening thru Wednesday could feature a thunderstorm or two rolling off the Cascades with temps. gradually settling closer to seasonal norms. I'm concerned about more wildfires sparking up around midweek as well. Anyone venturing into the Cascades need to be alert for rapidly changing conditions as these storms may be quite electrified and may be accompanied by strong wind gusts. Not a good combo for an area already under the gun for wildfire potential.

A sneak peak into later this year and winter of '14-'15. I'm getting fairly confident of a winter very similar to last year where below normal precip. and above normal temps. will be the general rule, but along with lots of low cloudiness and fog, which is often the case when high pressure areas settle in over the coastal and western interior regions during that time of year. There will be plenty of sunny periods too however. This will be chiefly caused by an el nino which I believe will come to fruition, but not this "super nino" that the media has been projecting. More soon. Glad to see the weather thread has been staying alive here.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM

61 posts, read 99,614 times
What do Washingtonians do during these heat waves? Do you have air conditioning?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
What do Washingtonians do during these heat waves? Do you have air conditioning?
In the last 10-15 years window air-conditioners have become fairly common as well as more expensive split units. A lot of newer homes have vertical windows and two one ton window air condtioners can cool 1500 square feet. Prior to that people relied on breeze boxes and powerful fans that you place upstairs to blow the hot air out of the house at night and then closed down the house during the day and repeat again. Last night where I lived temps dropped down to 52 degrees and today it was 93. In the past I would have opened the house at night and gotten the house pretty cool with the upstairs fan. I now use the AC.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 PM

231 posts, read 587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
Yes, while we have't hit over 100, it is the most above-80s I can recall. It's delightful.

I do think odds are we're going to get some good snow this winter. Yay!
Unfortunately, just the opposite. Its an El Nino winter. It will be sunny and dry this winter. The rains will come in the spring and summer will be MUCH cooler next year. Last time this occured was 2009-2010.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM

172 posts, read 255,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Today and tomorrow may likely be one of the hottest days this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see temps. around 92F in downtown Seattle and maybe up to the mid 90's farther east around Bellevue, Monroe and Duvall. Even places on the Kitsap like Kingston and Poulsbo could be in the mid 80's barring no unforeseen push of the marine layer.

Middle of the week, Tuesday evening thru Wednesday could feature a thunderstorm or two rolling off the Cascades with temps. gradually settling closer to seasonal norms. I'm concerned about more wildfires sparking up around midweek as well. Anyone venturing into the Cascades need to be alert for rapidly changing conditions as these storms may be quite electrified and may be accompanied by strong wind gusts. Not a good combo for an area already under the gun for wildfire potential.

A sneak peak into later this year and winter of '14-'15. I'm getting fairly confident of a winter very similar to last year where below normal precip. and above normal temps. will be the general rule, but along with lots of low cloudiness and fog, which is often the case when high pressure areas settle in over the coastal and western interior regions during that time of year. There will be plenty of sunny periods too however. This will be chiefly caused by an el nino which I believe will come to fruition, but not this "super nino" that the media has been projecting. More soon. Glad to see the weather thread has been staying alive here.
92 degrees as the hottest days of the summer is exactly why i'm moving up there by next year, lol. Our highs every day in August here in Baton rouge average around 94-96 degrees with 90% humidity. I cant wait for only a few days of 90's out of the year

Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM

455 posts, read 597,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
92 degrees as the hottest days of the summer is exactly why i'm moving up there by next year, lol. Our highs every day in August here in Baton rouge average around 94-96 degrees with 90% humidity. I cant wait for only a few days of 90's out of the year
I'm originally from Baton Rouge but grew up in Atlanta. I moved away from the South 16 years ago to get away from the heat. So I agree completely. Hot and humid sucks.

This summer stuff? Pffft, this ain't nothing compared to down South. Makes me wonder how I ever did three-a-day football practices in August without spontaneously combusting

Thank God I have A/C

And by the way, GEAUX TIGERS!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM

172 posts, read 255,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I'm originally from Baton Rouge but grew up in Atlanta. I moved away from the South 16 years ago to get away from the heat. So I agree completely. Hot and humid sucks.

This summer stuff? Pffft, this ain't nothing compared to down South. Makes me wonder how I ever did three-a-day football practices in August without spontaneously combusting

Thank God I have A/C

Yay A/C and LSU! haha. Can't wait to move, i'm ready for some cold weather and/or snow.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:09 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post

Thank God I have A/C

Lol! I just got back from Seattle this past week to FL, and you are right, the heat in the PCNW is nothing compared to the south. This weekend the highs where I live in Miami was 96 and 94. This is without the heat index. At one point the heat index when I checked was 107. Granted, it is not that hot every day, but temps around 90 with heat index about 100 is commom this time of year.

Some people that I know in Seattle were complaining about how uncomfortable it was on the days when it was in the mid 80s. Mid 80s is higher than normal in Seattle, but not that bad. It felt like a typical spring day in Miami in mid April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington