Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 AM

13 posts, read 15,482 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple. I am almost 50 and my partner is just over 60. So, we are not interested in the bar scene or other such types of interaction.
We want suggestions for where you think we should look in to buying (or avoid buying) a home. We want to live where we would feel comfortable/accepted (and not make our neighbors uncomfortable). We want to be close to the Portland boarder (But, we want to live only on the Washington side). We have visited in the general area of Orchards, Vancouver, Minnehaha, Camas, ETC. areas and like it there.
Since we are purchasing, acceptance and compatibility are extremely important to us. Having other gay neighbors would be a bonus (but, not a requirement). My question is:
What neighborhoods/areas would you suggest to be the best fit for our needs without taking us too far from the Portland boarder?
Thank you for your time and responses.
Respectfully,
Michel

Last edited by MHGB; 08-03-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Your thread title caught my eye, but I was surprised that you are about the same ages as DH and I. Middle-aged, not "older"!

I'm not in the southern part of the state so can't help you with that, but there are no guarantees anywhere. What people think of your relationship really won't always determine how they act toward you as neighbors or whether or not you will become friends.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
This website can help: GayVancouverWA

Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM

NewYooper,
True. I've just had some really frighting living situations due to neighbors with prejudices. I don't want to fight to live in a house where I'm not wanted. So, I'm just trying to do some due-diligence and research before this move.

SII3454,
I meant no offense to any age group. It's just my own terminology for myself. People think I'm much younger than I am. So, I like calling myself "Older".

Rob Allen,
That is a very good article (although the realtor dodges the question of where the best neighborhoods are for gays). It outlines lots of important information. It also tells how long of a commute it can be to Portland.

Thank you for all of the feedback.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I live in Camas and no one in my neighborhood would give a hoot and we'd be happy to have more social neighbors

That said most of the gay couples we know are women with kids. Now that's probably because I have school age kids.

There are probably some people who wouldn't be super welcoming but they aren't super welcoming to anyone. Remember a lot of Camas and east Vancouver moved here from LA and San Francisco, so having gay neighbors isn't a new thing.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Short version: if you're two guys living together, anyone with five brain cells is going to figure out what the deal is, but it's Washington. How you live your lives is your business. How you treat your neighbors is what most people will go by. Especially in larger cities, a lot of people in Washington never get to know their neighbors at all, and it can take time, but it's typically very rewarding and positive when one takes that time. It's not like some states, where you're an outsider for the first century or two your family lives there, and where the first question is (by Washington standards, quite rude): "So what church do you go to?"

If they're smart, they'll jump for joy, because the stereotype says that you will probably maintain your property immaculately, which will be positive for their own property values. Considering how overpriced real estate is in the whole Portland/Vancouver metro area, that's serious business. "I wish those gay guys would clean up that dump of a property and get rid of those old tires," said no one ever. Obviously, stereotypes of all kinds often prove ill-founded, but they generally originate from at least a grain of reality, and they aren't always adverse.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Thank you, everybody. This is helpful information.
It sounds like Camas or East Vancouver are good choices. Also, there is an area called Orchards that sounds good too.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHGB View Post
Thank you, everybody. This is helpful information.
It sounds like Camas or East Vancouver are good choices. Also, there is an area called Orchards that sounds good too.
Choose carefully in Orchards, it's a little spotty.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM

hml1976, are there any boundaries you can suggest I not cross in Orchards? Any info is truly appreciated as I hope this next house is the last move I make in this life.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks, MelissaN. I'm going to look it over now. What a great surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington