Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I live in Grand Mound / Rochester. It's a nice little town, but the high school has far more than 29 students.
Closer to 600.
Ah, was looking at the H.E.A.R.T. High School, which must be an alternative school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
smfh ive lived n shelton 4 over 20 years my childern born n raised n shelton it has its ups n downs but its a good town to live n an raise kids n

Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 PM

140 posts, read 139,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyshelton4 View Post
smfh ive lived n shelton 4 over 20 years my childern born n raised n shelton it has its ups n downs but its a good town to live n an raise kids n
my thoughts exactly. Been there a few times and really like the people. Its certainly underrated

Old 07-01-2018, 02:26 PM

66 posts, read 81,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhunt View Post
Shelton is absolutely terrible for raising kids. There's nothing for them to do except drink beer, do drugs, and get pregnant. There used to be a video arcade, but not anymore, in fact, when I was a kid in Shelton, for fun I went to Olympia and played around at Music 6000 until I got kicked out for never buying anything, or I went to downtown Olympia. Now that I think about it, down town Olympia sucks too, because all of the horrible Shelton kids I went to high school with moved there.
I ould recommend that nobody move to Shelton, WA if possible. It's just a horrible place to live. Even Belfair would better than Shelton, or Gorst, or even Grapeview, and Grapeview isn't even a real town.
If you have to live in Shelton, the Lake Limerick area is nice, but expensive.
I disagree.
Tons for kids to do.
Ride dirt bikes.
Learn outdoor skills.
Build log cabin forts out of branch debris.
Go fishing.
Hunt for salamanders.
Learn to identify mushrooms.
Exercise.
Hike.
Bycicle around Lake Cushmen.
Hunt the woods for antler sheds.
Learn photography.
Learn to identify native edible plants.
Observe the natural forces in their environment.
Go kayaking.
Go canooing.
Jar huckleberry jam.
Check out the awesomness of the salmon run.
Hunt for eagles, owls and hawks.

Then again, I might be an old redneck that never caught the video game bug. I’m an outdoorsman that hates to see “homeless” humans defecating on the sidewalk in plain view of would be adolescent passerby... Like they do in Seattle, Tacoma and yep, you guessed it, Olympia. Shelton is a fine place to raise kids. It’s a great place to go for a walk/hike in a natural environment. If you want sidewalks, the country probably isn’t your cup of tea.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM

329 posts, read 470,558 times
We moved to Shelton five months ago. Found an AMAZING house in Lake Limerick.. ( outside the city limits)... we have a creek in our back yard,golf, forest, lake, tons of nature.. deer's in our yard almost every day.. WONDERFUL neighbors. ( we moved from Southern California and barely knew our neighbors in the 20 yrs we had our house).
Downtown has all the shopping we could need, but love to drive to either Olympia or Siverdale for a scenic drive and Target and Home Goods ♥
There is a new YMCA coming soon. As well as more shopping and homes from what I have been told.
I spent couple years on this forum researching every city in Oregon and Washington. Truth is, I was leary about moving to Shelton from the comments on the post about it. The fact is that there is crime in every town, every state.. The downtown is working on getting better. The uptown is going to grow with more homes and stores.
Its filled with AMAZING people.. So don't judge it from what you read, come see it and give it a chance.
Oh and our dream house, well we paid only 260K for it.. We could have spent a lot more and moved to a different city,But it had everything we wanted and more and every day I look out my window and feel Blessed.. ♥

Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I can't rep you again yet therese! But I agree with you about Shelton. And many parts around here... Everyplace has problems - the world has problems... - but if you only focus on bad, you won't see the good. And there is plenty of good to be found. There's no more trouble in Shelton than anywhere. And at the moment, you can still get good bang for your buck there (but prices are going up!)

Old 06-16-2019, 02:11 PM

139 posts, read 252,675 times
I heard the Saw Mill was back?

Old 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Yes, the saw mill is running. Has been for awhile!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
I like the Hood Canal area, it has scenic views off the water. There are some cute tourist towns on the way to Port Townsend, the kind that make you want to stop and take a look. I think the local folks have done a good job cultivating the tourist vibe there.

There is no way I’d want to live there, drugs like meth are a huge problem, like they are in most any rural area. The towns are cut off from most conveniences, which would mean driving quite a distance.

Living in an insulated area dosen’t appeal, many people are limited in their thinking, cliquish, surly, suspicious of strangers, and hiring someone to do any kind of work on your place is likely to cost a ton of money. Driving an hour each way to get somewhere is a waste of your day. The clerks at HD in Centralia are some of the rudest and most surly ever, and I’d hate to see a smaller town full of those types. You’re stuck with that kind of service. In small locations, people tend to meddle in your business and gossips also don’t have much appeal. The local kids must be bored out of their minds and who knows what kind of trouble they can find.

Towns like Shelton can appeal to the right people, but I’d be happy to spend a day browsing and then head home to a less isolated place. The lucky folks who have built their homes right off the water remind me of a little Malibu, but at the end of the day, not a chance.

Last edited by Taz22; 06-16-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I like the Hood Canal area, it has scenic views off the water. There are some cute tourist towns on the way to Port Townsend, the kind that make you want to stop and take a look. I think the local folks have done a good job cultivating the tourist vibe there.

There is no way I’d want to live there, drugs like meth are a huge problem, like they are in most any rural area. The towns are cut off from most conveniences, which would mean driving quite a distance.

Living in an insulated area dosen’t appeal, many people are limited in their thinking, cliquish, surly, suspicious of strangers, and hiring someone to do any kind of work on your place is likely to cost a ton of money. Driving an hour each way to get somewhere is a waste of your day. The clerks at HD in Centralia are some of the rudest and most surly ever, and I’d hate to see a smaller town full of those types. You’re stuck with that kind of service. In small locations, people tend to meddle in your business and gossips also don’t have much appeal. The local kids must be bored out of their minds and who knows what kind of trouble they can find.

Towns like Shelton can appeal to the right people, but I’d be happy to spend a day browsing and then head home to a less isolated place. The lucky folks who have built their homes right off the water remind me of a little Malibu, but at the end of the day, not a chance.
Have you and I been to the same Shelton and Centralia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington