Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser11 View Post
This is a bit off topic, maybe not, but as I plan my trip... should I take any specific gear for the PNW with me? I am taking my raincoat and my usual hoodies. I plan to wear some casual slip on shoes (that double as hiking shoes for short hikes here in NJ), do I need something more rain proof?
When is this trip?

Another place to ask about: Guemes Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Skwim. Like the word "squid" with an M instead of a D.

My husband and I spent a week or so there a few years ago to see if we might want to retire there. We loved the abundant natural beauty of area and the people we met were super nice, but we felt there was probably going to be some unbridled growth in the future and there was a lot of highway noise where we were staying that put us off (near John Wayne Marina) so we took it off our list.
We like to say that we are goin' Sequimmin'!

Sequim was definitely unprepared for the growth that occurred in past years but has taken steps to control that unbridled growth.

We just bought land 1/4 mile south of 101 directly south of JWM and we could barely hear the traffic. We were on location for three days...all weekdays and during what little rush hour Sequim has...and the noise was there if we listened but negligible. Guessing that's because the noise pretty much stays put at sea level (near JWM) and we are on the foothill rise.

Might be worth a reconsider if you otherwise very much liked Sequim.

We felt water was the big issue. Our land is outside the Dungeness Water Rule area.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.

I forgot to mention, it's a plus if it has a hippy-ish vibe.

I now also have Eugene, OR down on my list.
I have seen Port Angeles described as having a noticeable hippie element.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
When are you planning to go? By about October 10, the temps crash, and it can get quite cold, and there can be rain. I'd try to squeeze a visit into September, otherwise, wait until April, if I were you.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I have seen Port Angeles described as having a noticeable hippie element.
Port Townsend has some of that, too.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM

10 posts, read 12,356 times
I am looking at the maps of Sequim, Port Angeles, and surrounding areas and looks like 101 is the main road going through. I'd like to avoid road noise and for this reason alone, I'd like to live at least a little away from the towns.

This probably means I will be renting a house on a plot. What's the best way to find houses for rent? I've checked out online websites like zillow.com. Craigslist?

Seems like it gets cold in October. I am not sure when I am going. Anything specific to look for when renting homes? I definitely want to stay away from any busy roads, and in a more interior place. Any suggestions would appreciated.

Also, I'll have to buy a car, as I am ditching mine here. Is an SUV or a truck recommended for the weather, or is a small car ok?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 AM

Yes, Criagslist. Not sure what you mean by "road noise". there are quiet streets in those towns, is that still too much road noise? There's a property for rent in Pt Townsend that's right near the water, and wouldn't have road noise. Actually, there have been several for rent that fit that description, just in the last couple of weeks. Some are on land with big cedar trees. I think you'll be able to find something without getting too isolated.

You won't need a truck or SUV for the weather. It's mostly rainy, not much snow, if any at all in winter.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 12,356 times
I just mean Traffic noise. I am ok with quiet streets in towns but ideally I am looking for some trees and privacy on the land. Will there be lot of wind renting right near the water?

Yes, something without getting too isolated- well said.. that's what I am looking for. I'll check craigslist, thanks.

Car wise... Just a regular ol' sedan needed then, good.

I need internet for work. I think I read Internet is kind of slow or patchy in Sequim or somewhere. Is this true?

How are the Utility prices. It depends on how much one uses, but generally speaking?

Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I just mean Traffic noise. I am ok with quiet streets in towns but ideally I am looking for some trees and privacy on the land. Will there be lot of wind renting right near the water?

Yes, something without getting too isolated- well said.. that's what I am looking for. I'll check craigslist, thanks.

Car wise... Just a regular ol' sedan needed then, good.

I need internet for work. I think I read Internet is kind of slow or patchy in Sequim or somewhere. Is this true?

How are the Utility prices. It depends on how much one uses, but generally speaking?
Don't know about Port Townsend but when we stayed on the water in Sequim (northernmost point on Marine Drive) in July it was chilly and blustery windy every day. So much so that our hesitancy about living on or near the water on the OP was validated. Friends of my sister just bought a house about a half mile south of that area and it is too cold and windy after 4:30-5 pm for them to entertain on their patio in summer...daily. They are covering the patio and installing a heater. These are folks who watch Packer games outside on their Wisconsin patio in October so not at all weather wimpy.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Don't know about Port Townsend but when we stayed on the water in Sequim (northernmost point on Marine Drive) in July it was chilly and blustery windy every day. So much so that our hesitancy about living on or near the water on the OP was validated. Friends of my sister just bought a house about a half mile south of that area and it is too cold and windy after 4:30-5 pm for them to entertain on their patio in summer...daily. They are covering the patio and installing a heater. These are folks who watch Packer games outside on their Wisconsin patio in October so not at all weather wimpy.
Good to know, thanks. I hadn't noticed much wind near the water in PT. Townsend, but I haven't spent that much time there. Could be seasonal, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington