Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 PM

196 posts, read 318,879 times

Advertisements

We'll need a rental for awhile in Sequim and I wondered how hard they are to find in a decent place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
If only for "a while", try VRBO. There are plenty of houses (70-100) owned by well-off Seattle/Eastside people that they keep for investment, vacations and weekends. Depending on the time of year, it will be $550-$600/week. There are not many apartments there, and rental homes go fast with the influx of retires from other states. Expand your search to Port Angeles (20 minutes away) and you will increase your chances.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
We'll need a rental for awhile in Sequim and I wondered how hard they are to find in a decent place?
Do you get the Sequim Gazette? We subscribed as part of our quest to discover the flavor of the area. They usually have a few rentals in their classifieds.

If you buy land to build you might consider buying a used RV and living on your land while you build. Hooking up to your water source shouldn't be too tough although you'd have to travel to dump your waste. Sell after you move in and your rent will have been negligible. Our CC&Rs allow that (for a 9 month limit and only while the home is being built) and I'd guess most outside the city do also.

You could contract with a buyer's agent who is willing to locate a rental for you. I'd highly recommend working with a buyer's agent for your land/home purchase regardless. Too many unknowns associated with buying real estate in Sequim for an outsider IMO.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
And if you are 55+ there are a few senior apartment complexes in Sequim...at least one was month to month rent when I investigated a few months ago...that have decent floor plans. That is on our list of options for renting while we build. Who cares if we aren't yet ready for that kind of living...if it offers a decent place to live month to month then we are on it.

This one even allows up to two medium sized dogs (maximum 40 pounds each) with a very reasonable pet deposit: Vintage At Sequim | Apartments in Sequim, WA

Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Another senior community with month to month rentals and they also allow pets: Cottage Living – The Lodge at Sherwood Village

Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
And if you are 55+ there are a few senior apartment complexes in Sequim...at least one was month to month rent when I investigated a few months ago...that have decent floor plans. That is on our list of options for renting while we build. Who cares if we aren't yet ready for that kind of living...if it offers a decent place to live month to month then we are on it.

This one even allows up to two medium sized dogs (maximum 40 pounds each) with a very reasonable pet deposit: Vintage At Sequim | Apartments in Sequim, WA
BTW, this is the one I found a few months ago with month to month...found it in my "Sequim Retirement" favorites folder.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If only for "a while", try VRBO. There are plenty of houses (70-100) owned by well-off Seattle/Eastside people that they keep for investment, vacations and weekends. Depending on the time of year, it will be $550-$600/week. There are not many apartments there, and rental homes go fast with the influx of retires from other states. Expand your search to Port Angeles (20 minutes away) and you will increase your chances.
Thanks Hemlock. Just made a quick check and there are quite a few rentals in PA. Will keep that in mind for our move.

And thanks Windrunner for the great question!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

196 posts, read 318,879 times
You're welcome, Jumpindogs. Our house just sold and we have to leave by mid-September. Roadtrip..we're driving a truck and shipping our vehicles. If inspection goes okay tomorrow..WE ARE OUT OF HERE! Wanted to rent and take our time. Your RV idea is a good one but my husband didn't look too happy. Thanks for the rental info. Got to get some building quotes and check out the land. Finally! I was following things online with the Gazette for the last two years. Thanks, Hemlock140. You've helped me with many issues. And Jumpindogs, you have really helped a lot. Thanks to you both.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
First of all...I want to say thanks to Jumpindogs for all the questions she has posed in other threads about Sequim. After our son moved to the Seattle area a few months ago, my wife and I decided to investigate the Olympic Peninsula. We spent over a week in Sequim in late July and early August, and have decided we are moving there.

We're still working on the logistics. I've been checking for rentals, thinking it would be good to rent for up to six months so that we can get to know the town better and not be rushed to buy a house. Also, we haven't quite gotten our present house on the market to sell yet. My wife doesn't want to rent...she just wants for us to get there...find a house and buy it. She and I are still working on that...

But, isn't Vintage Apartments (like Elk Creek) income qualifying? That is...I think you have to have an income under a specific amount to qualify. I can't find the link now...but it seems I came across something recently that said 2 people had to have an income under $32k (approximately) to qualify. Please let me know if that's not the case.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You're welcome, Jumpindogs. Our house just sold and we have to leave by mid-September. Roadtrip..we're driving a truck and shipping our vehicles. If inspection goes okay tomorrow..WE ARE OUT OF HERE! Wanted to rent and take our time. Your RV idea is a good one but my husband didn't look too happy. Thanks for the rental info. Got to get some building quotes and check out the land. Finally! I was following things online with the Gazette for the last two years. Thanks, Hemlock140. You've helped me with many issues. And Jumpindogs, you have really helped a lot. Thanks to you both.
Huge congrats Windrunner! I am excited for you. Keep us posted on your journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington